Salt Mix

scttwhtmr

Membership Expired
What type of salt mix do you use and why? Where is the best place to purchase it? Online? An lfs? Just looking for suggestions. I was thinking of ordering from Amazon.com. Thanks.

Reef Crystals here too. I like the extra calcium and magnesium as I don't dose. I wait for a sale at Drs Foster and Smith and get enough for free shipping. 200g box is heavy. I like it delivered.

Aquavitro Salinity, mainly for stable parameters batch to batch. Very good salt IMO, never had any issue with it. Buy it by the drum at ReefRemedies.

Currently using Aquavitro and don't really like it. Doesn't fully dissolve for me. I've got 2 200gal buckets of Tropic Marin to start on once the Aquavitro is gone. Couldn't pass up $60/bucket with free delivery.

I have always used Kent marine salt, I've never had any issues with it, it dissolves really well and really fast too. I have considered changing to other brands which are presumably better as they are more expensive, but after reading several reviews they all have their issues, surprisingly I didn't find many people complaining about Kent as I found about all the other brands.

When it comes to salt, I feel the most important thing is to pick a salt that you know works for your system and stick with it. I've never heard anything good come from people that constantly switch brands, or buy whatever is on sale that particular week. As long as your salinity and big 3 (alk,mag,calcium) are at appropriate levels and remain there without fluctuation, your system should be just fine.

Randy Holmes-Farley uses Instant Ocean, so I have switched from Reef Crystals. He is a reef chemist, and doesn't like some of the ingredients in Reef Crystals. It can be had at several online vendors in a "200 gallon box" for a good price delivered. I know of nothing that costs less, and very many reef tank hobbyists use it. I would rather dose more lime water any way, so the IO having less calcium, and alkalinity allows me to do that. I think that the magnesium content is the same in both.