RODI CO2 Degasser

SaphosBro

Membership Expired
I had run into an issue where even though my RODI unit puts out RO water at about 4-5TDS I was burning through a DI cartridge ever 50-75 gallons of water.I did some research and found this is most often due to CO2 in the water (i am on a well) and CO2 will pass through the RO membrane but not the DI and in effects works like very high TDS on the DI resin... I ordered a CO2 test kit from spectrapure to confirm and found my water did indeed have high levels of CO2 - 75ppm.I did a ton more research on DIY degasing units and none of the plans seams great/complete and so i though i would share what I came up with...My RO unit is in the laundry room on the other side of the wall to the garage. I removed the DI unit from the RO unit and came through the wall of the garage with 1/4" blue RO tubing. In the garage i got 2 - 65 gallon vertical water storage tanks. On the tank on the left I installed a RO float valve that I then connected the RO unit to. In this tank I also installed a large 8" airstone connected to commercial 780GPH air pump and a small water pump that connects to  a bulk head in the top of the tank to later push the water to the DI unit.When the water fills the tank higher than the stone I turn on the air pump and run it for about 24 hours after the tank is filled. When done my CO2 is drastically reduced to between 5-10ppm. Next using the small pump i pump the water into the DI unit - however you want a pretty slow flow through your DI unit so i put a ball valve inline and just used a simple timer and measuring cup and choked the flow down to about 600ML a minute or 10GPH.I have only had the setup running for about a week but in the past the DI would be close to spent after moving water from one tank to the next and now  it shows little sign of color change so I'm hopefull this will in the long run extend my DI life and help pay for the setup and maybe help someone else in the same situation.PARTS:Tanks: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/liquid-storage-tank-65-gal?cm_vc=-10005AirStone and Pump:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JLJC0W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGDS5C4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1DI Pump:I already had the pump but its just a small 100GPH pump with a barbed fitting on topMisc Parts:I made multiple trips to homedepot for all sorts of mis PVC to plumb the tanks and got most of my 1/4" RO ball valves and bulkheads from Marc at  melevsreef. If anyone needs specifics send me a message and I can get you a get you a detailed plumbing parts list.I also hooked all the pumps and electrical to a switched power strip so i can turn everything on/off as needed.I know most people are not on well water and do not have CO2 issues but if you are hopefully this may help.Photos of the tanks plumbing and the ayirstone in workView attachment 1562Photos of how i adapted the RO bulkhead to a barbed fitted for the DI unitView attachment 1564Pump and AirstoneView attachment 1563

The setup has actually been working gang busters for me...  I was getting no more than 75 gallons of water out of a DI cartridge before and i have early run 300 since the setup and see no visible color change in my DI yet and still getting 0 TDS on all meters. Also after a little further testing and letting the air pump run for several days i have gotten my co2 down as low as 3ppm from 75 in the RO water tank - so I am quite happy.The only change I have had to make is that my 100gpd pump I was using to pump water through my DI was not doing a great job due to the head pressure so i swapped it with a nyos viper 2.0 and everything is peachy now.I will admit the setup was not cheap but I honestly believe the payoff will be 1-2 years in DI but its also really nice to have this much water on hand and not have to fight with changing the DI every week or two and thus far its been very low maintenance to use.

That's awesome, the time and money spent replacing DI will definitely pay off. Glad it is working well for you!