Redrilling Tank for Bigger Bulk Heads

mitch91175

Premium Member
Is it wise to try to redrill a tank to accommodate bigger bulk heads? I have 1 .25" drains and 3/4" returns. I want to use a Reeflo Dart for all of my equipment. Should I try to redrill for 1.5" drain and 1" return to maximize GPH or should I just convert them to 1.5" and 1" respectively by using couplings, etc?

@mitch91175 wrote:
Is it wise to try to redrill a tank to accommodate bigger bulk heads? I have 1 .25" drains and 3/4" returns. I want to use a Reeflo Dart for all of my equipment. Should I try to redrill for 1.5" drain and 1" return to maximize GPH or should I just convert them to 1.5" and 1" respectively by using couplings said:
Yikes... drilling is touchy enough, I don't think I would attempt that. I guess if you could seal it ahead of time with a plug or square of glass to maintain the strength it could be done.

After postin this I spoke with Bill at Neptune's Cove and he suggested not doing it. I guess my biggest issue is trying to size my pump to be able to run my chiller, calcium reactor, etc.

@mitch91175 wrote:
After postin this I spoke with Bill at Neptune's Cove and he suggested not doing it. I guess my biggest issue is trying to size my pump to be able to run my chiller said:
Are you married to the reeflo? How big is your tank. Maybe we can find a different pump.

@mitch91175 wrote:
I have a 210 gallon that I am setting up. Suggestions are highly accepted. said:
Great.. for a tank that size you'd want no more than 1100 gph return for the tank itself. 3-5x is typically what I recommend, though I like a little more personally, so 1100. That Dart would be way too much IMO. 3600 is A LOT of flow ;) You are just putting water in the tank, not generating flow inside with it, rely on your powerheads for that.

For the chiller, run it through on the return itself, not separately fed so from the sump, go into the chiller, then up into the tank. Figure you'd need an extra 200gph or so to get through that, that brings it up to 1400gph. Then you have your calcium reactor, depending on the size, 200-400 should be plenty you think? That brings it up to 1700. If you toss in a couple of two little fishy reactors, that adds on another 200 or so for 1900.

PanWorld 250PS is pretty powerful, so you shouldn't have ANY problems with equipment off it. Its 1" out, but you can back that down prior to entering your first piece of equipment, just don't choke it off at the pump itself.

I've got the 150 and it barely noticed my chiller.... Im going to be splitting it off to run my new 65G as well as my new refuge, so they have plenty of power.

http://tinyurl.com/5dhpgo

Reeflo Marlin is also an alternative and has an output of 3/4 already.

http://tinyurl.com/6lthn4

Unless you setting up closed loop.. or have one or you think its going to take a ton of extra to get through the chiller, these sizes should be plenty for your application.

Hopefully someone who has done something similar can pipe up in case I am missing something.

Great info DaveJ. Marc has recommended a PanWorld pump but he was recommending one of the smaller ones. When I plumb for it, I want to use a manifold. I can go into the manifold with 1" and out to the equipment with a 1" to 3/4" adapter. A question on the size PVC I should use throughout the system, should it be the same as the drain at 1" or should I go up to 1.5"?

I had a glass guy drill my tank and told him the wrong size wholes:( I pouted for an hour or two then I called him and asked if he could redrill the tank and he said yes. He came a couple of days later and redrilled it. It went pretty smooth and came out great. My tank is only a aga 40b. So I don't know if he could redrill yours, but if you would like, I can give you his name and number. I'm sure if you explane what you need, he will be able to tell you if he can do it or not. He is really reasonable.
Thanks,
Mary

@mitch91175 wrote:
Great info DaveJ. Marc has recommended a PanWorld pump but he was recommending one of the smaller ones. When I plumb for it said:
The 200 or 250 is fine I should think.. the 150 is too small for your system in my opinion, that is what I have on mine. I just like to build in wiggle room :)

That is a good question.. I think jumping from 1" to 1.5" on the pump may help reduce head loss down the system.. so you go 1 right off the pump then 1.5 into the manifold then what ever size you need off that.

On the returns, go as big as you can as quickly as you can and run it straight into the sump. 1.5 would be plenty big.

Mary that wouldn't be bad information to have. Please send me a PM with his contact info. I am waiting to see what Dave's suggestion is on the PVC diameter before I change my mind yet again.

I think jumping from 1" to 1.5" on the pump may help reduce head loss down the system.. so you go 1 right off the pump then 1.5 into the manifold then what ever size you need off that. On the returns said:
Just to make sure I understand what you are saying on the drains I have a 1" bulkhead. The plumbing from the 1" bulkheads should be converted to 1.5" to the sump.

From the pump go to the manifold with 1" or 1.5" then to the return with 3/4". You see I am totally confused. If the chiller is going to one return should I go off the manifold to the other return with 3/4" or 1"?

Did you mean to say drains when you mentioned go as big as quickly as I can?

@DaveJ wrote:
[I]@mitch91175 wrote:[/I][quote="I have a 210 gallon that I am setting up. Suggestions are highly accepted. said:
Great.. for a tank that size you'd want no more than 1100 gph return for the tank itself. 3-5x is typically what I recommend, though I like a little more personally, so 1100. That Dart would be way too much IMO. 3600 is A LOT of flow ;) You are just putting water in the tank, not generating flow inside with it, rely on your powerheads for that.

For the chiller, run it through on the return itself, not separately fed so from the sump, go into the chiller, then up into the tank. Figure you'd need an extra 200gph or so to get through that, that brings it up to 1400gph. Then you have your calcium reactor, depending on the size, 200-400 should be plenty you think? That brings it up to 1700. If you toss in a couple of two little fishy reactors, that adds on another 200 or so for 1900.

PanWorld 250PS is pretty powerful, so you shouldn't have ANY problems with equipment off it. Its 1" out, but you can back that down prior to entering your first piece of equipment, just don't choke it off at the pump itself.

I've got the 150 and it barely noticed my chiller.... Im going to be splitting it off to run my new 65G as well as my new refuge, so they have plenty of power.

http://tinyurl.com/5dhpgo

Reeflo Marlin is also an alternative and has an output of 3/4 already.

http://tinyurl.com/6lthn4

Unless you setting up closed loop.. or have one or you think its going to take a ton of extra to get through the chiller, these sizes should be plenty for your application.

Hopefully someone who has done something similar can pipe up in case I am missing something."]

I run a reeflo Dart with a 1" drain and 3/4" return just fine. That Dart can be throttled back and it will use less electricity when you do so. The extra power is there if and when you need it to run additional equipment without compromising the turnover rate of your tank. Between head loss and running additional flow through a reactor manifold, that 3600 GPH turns out quite a bit less.

My drain plumbing is 1.5", stepped up from the bulkhead down to the sump. My return plumbing is 1", stepped down at the bulkhead fitting.

@mitch91175 wrote:
BigJay said:
I have a discharge manifold built off of the top of the dart with three valves:
The bottom valve for the long run to the left side of the tank.
The middle valve for the short run to the right side.
The top valve for the chemical reactor manifold.

The bottom valve is open most of the way, pushing flow farther and up to the other side of the tank.
The middle valve is open over half way, it doesn't have to send water as far.
The top valve is only open a tiny bit, chemical reactors don't need much flow.

@mitch91175 wrote:
Just to make sure I understand what you are saying on the drains I have a 1" bulkhead. The plumbing from the 1" bulkheads should be converted to 1.5" to the sump. From the pump go to the manifold with 1" or 1.5" then to the return with 3/4". You see I am totally confused. If the chiller is going to one return should I go off the manifold to the other return with 3/4" or 1"? Did you mean to say drains when you mentioned go as big as quickly as I can? said:
Yep... 1 inch overflow... convert to 1.5 as soon as possible and take it to the sump.

Yep.. pump and convert to 1 or 1.5 to the manifold, then off the manifold, do any size you need. Run from the manifold to the chiller then right into the returns.

Yes.. on drains, go as big as quickly...

On returns you go the size of the outlet or bigger as long as you can before going smaller.

You guys are great. I think I have all the info I need now to plumb my tank. After I get my sump/refugium next week, I may have a few more questions, but I think I actually may be able to do it now.

On the other hand one more question. BigJay on your plumbing do you have both drains going into you sump together or separately? I looks like they both are draining into the sump together.

@mitch91175 wrote:
You guys are great. I think I have all the info I need now to plumb my tank. After I get my sump/refugium next week said:
They drain together into a bubble-trap. My sump's refugium section is fed directly by the drain/skimmer chamber. Unlike many, I don't need a separate feed for it. Depending on how your sump looks, you might have to.

This thread has a number of really good plumbing designs in it.
http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=47007

Mitch, i love the dart pump, quiet and has good gph. the dart would be perfect on a 210, especially with a manifold. turn it down for your needs and save on electricity. the drains and returns on the 210 are sized right, i would not worry about drain and flow. i had the exact same 210 and there were no problems whatsoever.

I went ahead with my first though and purchased the Reeflo Dart for the tank. Thanks guys for helping me clear up the confusion. My setup is finally coming together and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Going through this process has enlightened me so much I will soon be able to assist others in their setups.