New 120 on the way

Hey Josh,

Good to hear from you. I'm in the process of designing a 120 gal system and liked Chris's and your stand a lot. I'm looking forward to seeing yours when it's done.

Anyway, I won't divert Chris's thread anymore.

Regards,

So I've been wanting to add a few fish to my tank lately, after the suggestion of my wife and I think that I've narrowed it down to a couple.

What combo would be the best?

A Powder Blue Tang
A pair of reef safe angels - watanabe or bellus
3 or 4 anthias (1 male, 2 or 3 female)

I have a pair of clowns and a pair of PJ cardinals. I would like to get something thats colorful and swims out in the open.

Thanks,
Chris

The angel pair gets my vote. They are active fish and are a bit easier to keep than the Powder Blue. The Powder Blue can be aggressive and somewhat of an ick magnet. From what I have read, the Anthias require a few feedings a day, which could lead to water parameter problems as well as a larger bio-load with 3 or 4 of them.

Well, I was heading that way as well, but that darn price tag really is a bummer, $150 each. Anyone know of a place that sells them on consignment or a good lay away program?

Chris

$150 each is way too much. I think the females should be about $70 and the male should be about $100 if ordered online. I know a member got a mated pair for less than $200 at a LFS last year when the meeting was held there (this was with the discount).

Regards,

Really, wow, that's a lot better then I was thinking. I looked on themarinecenter.com b/c they seem to carry a good selection of rare fish.

Where did you get yours at?

Chris

My vote is for the Anthias. The biggest problem with those fish is innitially getting them to eat. Once they do, you can cut down to once a day. If you want to feed them 2x a day, use a eye dropper and you will train them to eat from it. This way, none of the food will directly become nitrates and phosphates.

I loved my old powder blue. The first one I had died and my second was a monster. He lived with 2 purple tangs in a 150 and they all got along.

That's the problem with those fish is getting them acclimated and eating. What if I got a pair of angels and a pair of anthias?

That would give me 8 fish in my 120, none of which are very large.

Chris

The Fish Gallery has been getting in angel pairs about once every couple of months lately. You should contact them and have them order you a pair.

@Olaggie01 wrote:
Where did you get yours at? Chris said:
I only have a male (I think he's still male) because my 55 would be too small for a pair (will get a female when I set up the 120 I'm planning). I got him from a friend who wanted a larger male. He originally got him from mail order from a California store (200 for a pair with shipping). I can find out the exact place and shoot you a p.m.

Regards,

Thanks, Soji, let me know what you find out.

Tremelle, I'll see what FG says when I get back into town next week.

Chris

I was in there today. They have a 2.5" pair of Red Sea Regal Angels. At that size they both would most likely be female. In time the more dominant one would become a male. They have them in the same tank with no aggression towards each other. I thought about buying them myself.

Hey,
I was wondering how the mods you did on your ASM g4x is going. What did you use to drill the holes, and where did you buy the uniseals.
Also, since the intake of the skimmer is directly hooked up to the drain from the overflow dosn't detiris(SP?) accumulate inside the skimmer.

Did you notice a big improvement in the ASM with the mods done?

Thanks

Taylor

I was wondering how the mods you did on your ASM g4x is going. What did you use to drill the holes said:
The mods are doing well. It seems to be skimming away nicely, although, I have seen a decrease in skimmate production, but I assume that to be a good thing as it means that my water is cleaner than before. With only 4 fish in a 120, there isn't that much waste, plus I only feed every other day.

I used a 1" (I think) hole saw to drill the body. It was very easy. I bought the uniseals from ASMskimmer.com, but you can also get them from:

http://www.aussieglobe.com/uniseal1.htm

I haven't noticed any detrius collecting inside the skimmer, but I have heard that it can happen. If I see some, I'll siphon it out during the next water change.

I never ran the skimmer w/o the mods, I figured that since I was going to do the mods eventually, I might as well do it from the get-go.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anymore info.

Chris

Well, I finally got my mg levels going back the right way. I added close to 3 lbs of epsom salt and then put some zeomag in my ca reactor. Got the reactor back online today and what do you know, my mg is now around 1260. I'm going to boast it up to around 1350 or so and hopefully the zeomag will do the rest.

Chris

Hey its me again,

I'm seting up a new 40 gallon breeder BB tank, and I wanted to get rid of the powerheads, but at the same time have some awesome flow in my tank. I want to make a closed loop with a pressure rated pump, probley Iwaki 30 RLT, 20 RLT or the smallest Gen-X model pump. I wanted to put two penductors on the closed loop, but do you think this would be two much flow in my tank? Everything in the rock work will be SPS, but I also have 3 acans and a blasto that will be on the bottom of the tank. I wanted to know your opinion on my setup.

Thanks very much.