My Learning Experience: 40b Build Log

Hate to hear that about your fish. It sounds like you are trying hard and when you get a healthy fish you will succeed. Good Luck

Thanks guys. Well I haven't been on for a while due to the struggle with the move. My tank is up and running and looks good. I re-aquascaped it and it looks so cool IMO. I think my fish will like it. My impeller on my filter had broken but I had a back up so that went in right away. I got all new testing kits and I am about to throw away my hydrometer and purchase a refractometer instead. So far so good, my Quarantine has been sitting and compiling a better biological filter. I want to wait after Christmas and see what my next fish move will be. I got an early present this year. It was a prepaid Visa card with 65 dollars on it so that will go towards my fish. My grandfather bought his first fish for his 120g and he bought 3 tangs about a month ago. So far so good, this led me to do research and I hope to buy a small yellow tang for my first fish. They are my favorite fish and I do know it will eventually out grow the system but for me, it's worth it. Keep you posted.

Scratch that thought about the tang! Did lots more research and with the help of my LFS I realized it wouldn't be the best choice. Does anyone know of a fish with tang like qualities I can purchase? If not, any recommendations (besides clowns)?

Okay guys, so I think I got a stock list. If you would think any changes should be made let me know.
1 Flame Angel
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Diamond Watchman Goby
1 Fire Fish
And Possibly....
1 Royal Gramma

*Quick Update*

For Christmas, my grandfather had actually purchased a Pair of Black ocellaris clowns for me. I've always wanted these guys and will be picking them up next week (my LFS will be going through ORA for them so they won't be in until Thursday. But I will have to pick them up Saturday).

I'm about to upgrade from my 20t to a 40b! What all do you have running for filtration on the main tank? Just LR LS and the skimmer?

I have Live Sand, Live Rock, Clean Up Crew, Mechanical Filtration (Penguin Filter), and sadly no skimmer. Can't afford one.

[attachment=2]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356986064.839623.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356986081.693201.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356986095.405357.jpg[/attachment]

Thought I would share what my tank looks like after the move. Really liked my rock placement. Getting the hang of it! I made a cave like structure, along with gaps so it would give fish places to explore. The big cave I made has a nice overhang to it too. It's a fists length from the back glass so flow is all around it.

Sent from my iPad in the Great Barrier Reef!

[attachment=1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356986272.437914.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356986285.734607.jpg[/attachment]

Sent from my iPad in the Great Barrier Reef!

Today I bought an Extra Large Cleaner Shrimp with my Clowns. They are not full grown. So they do have some orange. The smallest one is about an inch and the largest one is two inches. Nick laughed at him and thought he looked like a coal miner because is face looks so dirty! They are great fish! They came from ORA and were obviously tank raised. I was told that for my first load of fish, (Partly because they came from Ora) that I was able to acclimate them to my tank. But all my fish after this run were to be QT'd. Keep ya posted. [attachment=2]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357417057.881478.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357417086.480507.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357417102.799424.jpg[/attachment]

Sent from my iPad on the touch app thingy.

Thanks! They all ate including my shrimp. It's looking good for these guys. Mughal have found a protein skimmer. Still need a pump though.

Flipper. (Smaller of the two) and Miner (Largest of the two) are doing great. They ate everything I have them but went especially crazy over the herbivore mix. Both are active and happy as well. Levels are in check. Nitrates could be lower but that will only happen if I had a protein skimmer. Flipper likes to literally hover over the bottom. He is so close too the sand he looks like he's resting on it sometime. He's not scraping or pecking. Just "hovering". Is this a bad thing? Or just his way of behaving?