My Learning Experience: 40b Build Log

Some of you know that I had run into a problem with my 40 breeder and had to "start over". Some type of parasite over took my pair of Ocellaris Clownfish and my Royal Gramma. So after a long hard week of endless thinking, my plan has finally come together. I am doing it RIGHT this time. In a madder of weeks a 15 Gallon QT tank will be set up. And, if the funds cooperate, I will have another 10 gallon tank set up incase a parasite over takes him. So the disease does not get in my QT. So I will have a Main Set Up, a QT, and a HT. I recently forced my tank into a mini-cycle as well. Adding 7 pounds of pukani and around 3 pounds of limestone shelfs. I just put the rock in today so I do not have it completely aquascaped yet. A picture of the full layout will be posted below, The tank will be sitting for a couple months. Mid November is when I will start making my move with a first fish if all goes well. This weekend I will be ordering a Hydor Koralia Nano Evolution 240 gph power head. I also will be getting some filter media.

So one of my snails died (Astrea), but my turbo is still alive and thriving. He has been with me since day one. I am also noticing some diatoms, for weeks I haven't had any and in couple days after the rock was added it came back. I am turning lights on for about 6 hours a day. How do you seed rock?

I am going to place order for power head and filter media soon. Probably this weekend, mid week (next week) at the latest. Been Busy with other things. Already noticing small algae patches on new pukani and limestone.

If there's nothing in your tank that needs lighting, I would simply just turn it off. That way you wouldn't have to worry about the algae problems.

Okay, I thought you needed lighting to seed rock. I am also noticing two worms (theres probably more). Couldn't have come in with rocks, might have came in with sand way back when and I'm just noticing them. They are about a quarter inch long, are pink, and have a black center. An ID and description would be helpful.

Can't tell due to it being kinda fuzzy, but the coloring looks like they might be bristle worms to me. They are reddish pink and have 'furry' splinters down their sides. Not a bad thing in small amounts, but large or large quantities are not so cool.

Someone suggested Mamma Mia worms, there not "fuzzy", not that I know of at least, will try to get better picture soon.

Just bought a 10 gallon aquarium, its a full set up with LED lights. The spectrum is 22 whites and 2 blues, I figure I don't ned a lighting system for the quarantine so I will use it in my 40b to give some more effects. The set up comes with a filter and heater. This should be up and running by mid October. Going to post pics of it when order comes.

For lights I will be using a desk lamp, I do not want to over do it with lights in my QT. Want to keep it simple and effective.

When I was looking at the tank, just seeing how everything was doing, I noticed 4-5 little stems with these feathers coming out of the top. They are real small so I will do the best I can to take a pic. When I tapped the glass they immediately sucked them in, minute or so later they were back out. I think they are baby feather dusters. Can someone please tell me what a Feather Duster is and if its bad for your tank? THanks
Pic coming after school

Feather duster is just another form of a worm and they are good for the tank as they filter out excess nutrients from the water column.

@mmiller40 wrote:
I think your asking for trouble using limestone. Would be concerned about leeching of other metals. said:
Okay, I only have two small shelf pieces, and what I have read from the site was said it came from the ocean and would cause no effect in your aquarium. On another hand I can't get pictures of the Dusters, too small. I have about a group of 12 of them. I was looking at pictures and they look really cool when fully grown so I am excited. The 10 gallon setup is to arrive on October 4th (Estimated Delivery Date). I have one question, do I have to do anything special to keep the feather dusters growing?

They will continue to grow on their own but most* are not as big as the ones you see in pictures... They are in my experience usually the mini feather dusters... The ones usually photographed are Hawaiian or coco but I supposed however rare it is you could have some of those.

The set up arrived! It is all put together and ready for step two. It came with a MarineLand Mini Penguin, 50 watt Heavy Duty Heater, Full Hood, thermometer, and LED Lights. The filter though is too long for the height of the aquarium, therefore the last attachment (piece with that sucks water up (has lines running up and down it)) is not on it. I have seen people with the sponge material tied to the end of their filters before. What is it called and where do I get it? The lights are good and is adding a nice moon effect to my display tank. Tomorrow I will get 15 gallons of RO water so I can fill up the 10g and do a water change on the 40. I will be also getting some PVC fixtures too. Then I am done! Besides getting Prazipro, Cupramine, and Maracyn Two. Have heard these are good to have on hand. Does anyone pre-treat their QT'd fish or do they treat it when symptoms occur?

Also found what seems to be a baby snail. It has a small "sucker" and its body is a light brown. The only snail I have is a Turbo and it seems to be doing okay. Don't know anything about snail spawnning but in a few months I think I will have another snail!