My Learning Experience: 40b Build Log

My wallet was lost today with my REEFREMEDIES gift card! Wont be able to get water until who knows when! Keep you posted.

So contacted ReefRemedies and they said they had it on file. Was going to get some monday put it will probably be friday when everything will be set in the QT. The levels in my 40b are good, I can tell its going through another cycle. I think a small Aptasia Anemone is starting to grow. Going to remove that when I know for sure it is one. Noticing LOTS of bristleworms too. I never saw them until I got the Pukani but that was dry forever. No way they could have survived in the rock. Keep you posted.

When I get my water tomorrow, I am probably going to mix the salt right in the buckets and put the lid back on for a few weeks so the water will not evaporate from the 10g. The water will be sitting (should I turn the filter ON while I'm waiting before I get another fish or keep it OFF) until mid November to ensure a good amount of bacteria will be in the QT so it will be livable. I am also getting the PVC too. How big of a piece should I get?

So, just tested levels on both tanks, all seem well. The QT is coming along too. I can't wait for November when I can finally get back into fish! I want my first fish to be a McCosckers Flasher Wrasse!! I love them and they are so cool. Either that or an Ocellaris clown (Black).

Thank You lindsey, but I already am doing that! I did it when I first started my 40b and I haven't taken the water out and the rocks so there are bacteria in that one. I will be getting Fritz Zyme though for my 10g qt tank.

Yes, totally agree! Well, I have been reading into some corals but its not even a reality until I get the correct lighting system (Which I cannot afford) and a Protein Skimmer. But, once I do get some cash, I'll probably start out with some SPS. Any recommendations?

So I was looking into skimmers and found the Hydor Slim Skim Protein Skimmer. Looks decent, would work in my tank. Has anyone dealt with one of these before? And does anyone know if its HOB? Thanks

I have one in my solana. It is a skimming beast once tuned. I get a cup
a day without fail. I didn't see a hob option when I got mine, however not a large footprint for in tank. Heath

My tank is 17 inches high and the skimmer itself is 12 inches so I will Have room, but i'm afraid of the ugliness.

Could I get an overflow to put in my tank to hide the skimmer? Does anyone know the best place/best price to get one at? Also if anybody else would have a thing or two to say about the skimmer I would appreciate it.

The easiest thing to do would be to drill a hole and put a drain that goes to a sump. Then you would need a return pump to pump water back up. You will be able to hide everything in your sump. A 10 or 20 gallon tank would work perfectly

I dont have the room for one, also I would have to drain my whole tank and I'd rather buy a pre drilled tank incase something goes wrong with the seal.

I will most definently look into that skimmer. Tank is doing better and better, QT is developing a cycle. Going to get Fritz Zyme a day or two before adding fish to the QT. I have it all laid out and I know my whole procedure.

Levels are looking good. I have purchased Cupramine, Prazipro, Maracyn Two, and Fritz Zyme. And should be here soon. I will add fritz zyme as soon as i get it to add a little cycling boost to my QT.

Chemicals are in, getting 10 gallons of water today. After a small water change on the 40 and a large one on the 10, I will be adding the fritz zyme.

There is a big question I have though. What should my schedule be when pre treating with Maracyn Plus, PraziPro, and Cupramine? Thanks in advance