Moving advice

mwilk19

Membership Expired
Hello,
We are going to be moving from a house into an apartment next month. Much to my surprise, the apartment management didn't have a problem with me having a 150 gallon aquarium on the second floor. I have never moved an active tank before and am already starting to stress about the logistics. We are moving from North Grapevine to South Grapevine so the moving distance is only a few miles. What is the best way to go about making a move like this? I've even though about buying a new tank and having it set up before we actually move. (I know, it's a lame attempt at getting a new tank). Anyone who might have done this, whether you moved into an apartment or a house, any input would be appreciated.

I would make doubly sure the apartment complex understands the weight issue. That's 1500 pounds on one small square area. If it is a newer complex that is made from concrete framing then it shouldn't be an issue but if framed with wood then I'd get a signed release/approval from the complex AND make sure you have renter's insurance.

@dport02 wrote:
I would make doubly sure the apartment complex understands the weight issue. That's 1500 pounds on one small square area. If it is a newer complex that is made from concrete framing then it shouldn't be an issue but if framed with wood then I'd get a signed release/approval from the complex AND make sure you have renter's insurance. said:
I thought about that. The complex was built in 1986 so I don't know if that's recent enough for steel framing and concrete floors. Renter's insurance is require but we've always had it anyhow.

I would be worried if the apartment complex was built in 1986, the floors are likely wood and uneven, 150 g is a lot of water, agreed that I would double check with the complex to make sure they understand how heavy that aquarium is. An argument is often made for water beds which weght thousands of pounds too, however the are usually distributed along a significantly bigger area.

Yeah, I've thought about it a lot today and I'm probably just going to sell my tank and maybe at some point go with something much smaller. Maybe even do seahorses or something. I hate to do it but it's probably the prudent move.

You might find a first floor unit somewhere. If you are going to stay on the second floor of an eighties apartment, there should be some record (either on site with the property manager or in the public records of the city or county) that would have blueprints and weight loads for the buildings. I would definitely want to try to keep my tank if it were feasible. If not, at least you can create an amazing smaller tank and your water changes and such will be quicker and less expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am currently running a 75 with a 20 long sump. I'm on the second floor, with no issues. Hope this helps
Jim

Jim,
I've pretty much resigned myself to selling my system. I'll wait until we're in our new place and settled in and then try something a little smaller. I'm going to take a financial hit but that's the way these things go. Someone's going to get a good deal when I finally put it up for sale.

@mwilk19 wrote:
Jim said:
If you can't find a first floor apartment or a concrete one, I would probably go the same route. For a new tank in a 2nd floor apartment I would most definitely go with a 40 breeder, or a shallow tank so you still have good length.

I got some good news today. The subfloor of the apartment we are moving into are concrete so we'll be able to take our aquarium with us. Now I have about 5 weeks to figure out the logistics.

@mwilk19 wrote:
I got some good news today. The subfloor of the apartment we are moving into are concrete so we'll be able to take our aquarium with us. Now I have about 5 weeks to figure out the logistics. said:
That is great news!, i hope everything goes well with the move!

@mwilk19 wrote:
I got some good news today. The subfloor of the apartment we are moving into are concrete so we'll be able to take our aquarium with us. Now I have about 5 weeks to figure out the logistics. said:
That's great!! Now comes the excitement of doing the things you wanted to change. Can't wait to see the pics of your build.
Jim

Yes, there are a few things I'd like to change. I'm trying to decide whether to go with a bare bottom or stay with a sand bottom.

@mwilk19 wrote:
Yes said:
Bare bottom and if you like the look of sand add some tumbled travertine to the bottom. Look at mine it's 3x6" tiles. It looks like sand until you get close.

c8072f6684841bf01108a8375c117653.jpg
alt="">

Sent from pay phone in the airport.