Mike's 260g Rimless Starphire Build

Thanks for all kind words and support guys! Today saw a little less getting done on the system itself. First, I had promised the wife new furniture for the room as one of the conditions for getting the new tank. So, I spent a good part of today running around with her to get a couple of Barcelona chairs for the room along with a side table so that there will be a nice way to sit there and view the tank. Kind of a Zen location.

Then, I had to do all my usual tank maintenance on my existing system, BRS Group Buy, change out the RO and DI filters, yard work, etc.

But I was able to spend the morning planning out the plumbing and then a good hour and a half at Home Depot finding all the plumbing items I wanted. I also went to Wallyworld and picked up some Krylon Fusion paint so that the Durso drains and returns would be black. They blend in perfectly now and are not visible unless you get close. I also installed the snail guards and glued the elbows and some other pieces down.

I also picked up some bright red Krylon for the return lines and blue Krylon for the drains. Here's what I ended up picking up:

[attachment=0]IMG_0199.JPG[/attachment]

Had to make a second trip to pick-up a couple more items as I started dry fitting pieces and figuring out what I need. The plumbing plan is as follows:

<u>Drains:</u>
Nothing too special here. Just a couple of unions to make sure I can take it apart and work on it or replace it if needed. 1.5" inner diameter is what I went with although I could have gone up to 2" I can always change it out if needed as the bulkheads are threaded. The PVC drains will terminate in 1/5" barbs. I've decided to go with hard PVC for most of the plumbing but go with flex tubing for the final terminations so I don't have to mess with too many crazy bends and so that I can account for any mistakes in measurements. It should also make servicing things easier and I can always go to hard PVC or flex PVC later if I need to. There will also be a ball valve to cutoff flow close to the bulkhead so that part of the line can be serviced or modified without draining part of the tank.

<u>Return 1:</u>
I will have a total of 3 ball valves in a manifold on a 3/4" ID return. The manifold will have a union at each end so the system can be taken down for service or modification. This will be for adding a GFO Reactor, Carbon Reactor, and BioPellet Reactor should I decide I want to or need to add any of those. Manifolds are terminating in 3/4" barbs for now as well. There will also be another ball valve near the bulkhead to cut off flow if needed so that the line can be serviced or modified.

<u>Return 2:</u>
This will also have a total of 3 ball valves in a manifold on a 3/4" ID return but in a different configuration. The manifold will have a union at each end so the system can be taken down for service or modification. The first two ball valves will be close to the return pump, then a ball valve will be in-line with the return line, and final ball valve will T off after the in-line valve. This line and manifold will be for water changes and connection to the chiller. All T's are currently terminated with a 3/4" barb.

The first T will be for water changes. Pull out the 3/4" flex tube attached, close the appropriate valves, and the pump can drain the sump for a water change. The second T will go to the chiller input and the third T will be the return for the chiller. If I ever need to replace or service the chiller or bypass it for whatever reason all I have to do is open up the in-line ball valve and close off the 3 T-valves.

That's it for now. I guess I have to that place called work tomorrow so we'll see how much I can actually get done tomorrow night . . . hoping that the wife will help with aquascaping now that she has the chairs she wanted.

Thanks! I obviously need to plumb and wait for the sump first and then I was going to do some water tests (maybe tonight) to see where things are at. The rock should be ready to go and I also seeded the sand bed last night. I also threw in a bunch of pellets to make sure my biofiltration will properly handle the nitrogen cycle and to help provide food for the sandbed critters.

So, long story short, whenever it tests as being ready to handle livestock. I do not have a definite date or deadline as I don't want to rush it although the hope is it will be ready by MACNA with existing livestock moved over.

Wow! You are super quick! I can't believe your tank see water the 1st day. Great Job!

Thanks Jason. I had been waiting this for a while so I already had about 150 gallons of water on-hand ready to go on tank delivery day which made it easier to get it filled-up. I'll have another 80 gallons or so ready for when the sump arrives as the main tank will probably need at least another 15 - 20 plus whatever the overflows and sump hold.

Daily update:

1. Doors are now all installed on the stand . . . really completes the overall look from the ground up.

2. AI Vegas shipped and I have tracking numbers!!! Hopefully they will be in-hand on Wednesday.

3. Spent a good 2 - 3 hours with the wife on aquascaping. Here's Rev. 2:
[attachment=2]IMG_0200.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=1]IMG_0201.JPG[/attachment]

We are still not happy with the center area and will work on that some more but I am trying to keep the aquascape open. Hence, there is a LOT of leftover rock, which is what I expected, so I will move some of that over to the sump when it gets here and to the planned QT system. My best guess is that there are only 150 lb of rock in the display itself. I may need to add more sand as well to smooth out certain areas.

4. Worked on plumbing a little and built and dry fit the manifolds. I'm relatively happy with the layout so I may go ahead and glue these tomorrow if I have time. I'll leave the unions off until I figure out where I need angles and where the manifolds would fit best.

[attachment=0]IMG_0202.JPG[/attachment]

Edit to add: After looking at this again, I think I can shorten some of the distances between some of the valves to give me more options for installation location.

Thanks! Just really waiting for tomorrow and the lights to come in so I can see what it will look like when it is properly lit up. With the club meeting tomorrow night and all I may not be able to get everything installed and updated pics taken until Thursday.

I finally have LIGHT!!! Just this one quick update and pic post before I head off to the meeting this evening:

[attachment=0]IMG_0205.JPG[/attachment]

Looks great Mike. You never really can tell how big it is till you see all the lights over the top of it. Great job so far [smilie=clapping.gif]

Thanks guys! It is very encouraging to get the nice comments and to see it all come together.

Bill: No livestock yet and probably not for a good week or two so I'm not too worried about running the lights too much right now. When I transition everything over, I'll set the Vegas to auto-acclimate over a couple of weeks and just let the controller take care of that end of things.

Got back from the meeting around 10 and found the wife staring at the tank commenting on the rock work so since she was willing to, we went ahead and finalized the aquascape. Tank is a little cloudy right now but I'll get an updated pic up tomorrow.

Rodney and anyone who wants to look at the setup is welcome to come over whenever.

It should look cleaner when I can work on routing and organizing the wires and take the Koralias off the sides. Rather than run my Vortechs on the side, I'm considering going with 4 x MP40 mounted to the back wall so I can have no power cords showing, hide the power heads, and also have high and low flow areas for a mix of corals. The alternative would be MP60's on the sides and the 40's on the back. Any suggestions?

I like the idea of them on the back wall. Sounds like that would look very good and like you said give you the high and low flow areas.

Wow that is stunning, be careful the neighbors might be thinking you are growing something something in the house with that much lighting hahaha