Mike's 260g Rimless Starphire Build

I have the same se mention tank. Look forward to seeing the ai's on the tank. I tried 3 off name led fixtures but I didn't have enough light. I can't wait to see the pictures and growth.

T-minus 1 hour and 5 minutes until scheduled delivery of the tank and stand!!! I've been making RO/DI water like crazy since I got back into town in anticipation. Pics will be forthcoming soon.

The new AI Vega lights should be here on Wednesday at the latest and Marc is building the sump, ATO, and dosing containers . . . . it is FINALLY all coming together!!!

Okay guys and gals, here are some pics. It has been a busy day!

First, the stand came in:
[attachment=2]Stand.JPG[/attachment]

Then, the tank arrived!
[attachment=1]delivery.JPG[/attachment]

And finally in the house next to the stand:
[attachment=0]tankbystand.JPG[/attachment]

The tank itself probably weighs around 600lb if not more

And voila! Tank sitting on the stand with AI EXT mounts installed:
[attachment=2]tankonstand.JPG[/attachment]

Inside the stand. It will have four doors on the front and a door on each side for easy access. There is a divider to separate out the "wet" side from the "dry" side where the electronics will be located. I plan on adding fans for positive airflow to go from the dry side to the wet side.
[attachment=1]insidestand.JPG[/attachment]

Can't be happier with tank build quality. The floor is quite thick withe the PVC bottom and additional 1/2" plate of glass for structural reinforcement. 3/4" Starphire is thick but unbelievably clear!

Even the overflows are reinforced and glass lined:
[attachment=0]Overflow.JPG[/attachment]

Looks fantastic! Congratulations. Did you leave enough room at either end to slide in that long sump?

Messing with the plumbing right now. Standard Durso drains with 1.5" Sch. 40 and returns are Sch. 40 3/4". I'll need to paint the PVC black so that it does not stand out. I had a bunch of water pre-made and I am actually keeping track of how much water is going into the tank so I'll know what my actual total water volume is.

I also picked-up some eggcrate so the bottom of the tank is lined with eggcrate stopping 1" short of the sides so that it does not show. Added only 6 bags of sand to get the depth of sand bed I wanted. I also went ahead and put the live rock in and filled it up to the overflows. I've begun aquascaping a bit but it will probably take me most of tomorrow to get it done. Extra rock will go into the sump or QT system. Finally, I installed the AI rails to the EXT mounts. The AI Vega LED's should be here on Wednesday at the latest!

So, 180lb of sand, 250lb of live rock, and 175 gallons of saltwater later:
[attachment=0]rockintank.JPG[/attachment]

First bulkhead leak test did not go too well as you can see from the water that dripped. I had the gasket on the wrong side of the tank so I need to go redo that. Decided to take a break and post this update first. All this goodness took the majority of the day . . . man this stuff takes longer than you think!

The plan for tomorrow is to try to finish aquascaping, pick-up and start some basic plumbing. Dan, the builder of the stand, will also be by in the morning to attach the doors. We wanted to let everything settle with a full load first before attaching the doors. Once Marc finishes the sump, ATO container, and dosing containers I will finish the plumbing and start installing electronics. For now, I just have a couple of Koralia powerheads, bubbler, and heater to keep the water fresh and aerated. Those Koralias that were fine for my 5 fool long 70g are laughable in this tank. I'm beginning to think I'll need to upgrade the Vortech MP40's to MP60's but will try the 40's first to see if they will do the job. If they don't, I'll just slap them on the back for supplemental flow.

I think that's all I've got for now but hopefully I'll be making regular updates from here on out!

@Marc wrote:
Looks fantastic! Congratulations. Did you leave enough room at either end to slide in that long sump? said:
Thanks and indeed I did Marc. It is offset and there is about 42" on the left side. I figure we can angle it a little too if needed to get around a window which would then provide for 44"

Also, important note that I forgot to add: The wife pretty much freaked when she saw how much real estate this thing takes. It is one thing to talk about and measure out the dimensions . . . another altogether to see it in real life in your house. I still can't believe I got this cleared [smilie=lol.gif]

Edit to Add: The rock was prepared in mid-June so it has been sitting and seeding and cycling now for close to 3 months. I hope this gets me a nice jump-start on things and need to add some sand from my existing tank after I get a chance to catch-up on the forums.

Is it level? ;) Your picture runs downhill to the left.

When people come over to see the 400g, they say it's big. It looks good to me, so I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Yes, the tank itself is level, I just suck at taking pictures and was off kilter :)

And yeah, your tank is huge . . . and heavy too. When is that beast due back anyway? I'm surprised how "little" water volume I actually have after the sand, rocks, and reinforcement on the bottom of the stand.

I think that is when it will be done, and ready to start the trip back on a semi truck.

Hey Mike!

As I said to you yesterday...this is one of the best looking tanks I have seen! The tank is IMPRESSIVE...so much so that I have decided to build another tank, probably a 120 gallon that will be rimless. I will circle back with you on Wednesday.

Rodney