LASERS 1000 Starfire Build

@TiberianSun wrote:
Following. I talked with Vince yesterday about your build. Did you change from a center/island overflow to put them at the ends? said:
Yes I did want to have them on each end on the back wall to allow maximum viewing area in the middle of the tank. Interesting that you have spoken with them and I have not ever!! I continue to ask questions and it appears they are doing as I had hoped. Cant wait to see some updates from them..

@K_Red_Raider wrote:
Wow you are a dedicated reefer...a third septic system just for the fish tank...lol said:
This is where the wife finally shook her head and rolled her eyes!! [smilie=thinking.gif] [smilie=dull.gif]

@Laser wrote:
[I]@TiberianSun wrote:[/I][quote="Following. I talked with Vince yesterday about your build. Did you change from a center/island overflow to put them at the ends? said:
Yes I did want to have them on each end on the back wall to allow maximum viewing area in the middle of the tank. Interesting that you have spoken with them and I have not ever!! I continue to ask questions and it appears they are doing as I had hoped. Cant wait to see some updates from them.."]

They have always done us great. We just received our 300G Cube from them that came from AGE which is the same place yours is coming from. Vince went to inspect the tank before he picked it up to make sure it looked good so I'm sure he is doing the same for yours.

Our 450G has an island overflow. It's cool and nice to stack rocks on but all the space behind it is wasted.

@TiberianSun wrote:
[I]@Laser wrote:[/I][quote="[I]@TiberianSun wrote:[/I][quote="Following. I talked with Vince yesterday about your build. Did you change from a center/island overflow to put them at the ends? said:
Yes I did want to have them on each end on the back wall to allow maximum viewing area in the middle of the tank. Interesting that you have spoken with them and I have not ever!! I continue to ask questions and it appears they are doing as I had hoped. Cant wait to see some updates from them.."]

They have always done us great. We just received our 300G Cube from them that came from AGE which is the same place yours is coming from. Vince went to inspect the tank before he picked it up to make sure it looked good so I'm sure he is doing the same for yours.

Our 450G has an island overflow. It's cool and nice to stack rocks on but all the space behind it is wasted."]

Great to hear another good report on them. I hope I am able to report the same soon!!

One thing you might think about adding to the overflows is a dry area where you could put the power side of an MP40/60. We had our overflow made wider to accommodate 2 of them and am glad we did. Nothing is on the glass, the wires are not exposed to the sides, and we were able to push the tank closer to the wall.

@TiberianSun wrote:
One thing you might think about adding to the overflows is a dry area where you could put the power side of an MP40/60. We had our overflow made wider to accommodate 2 of them and am glad we did. Nothing is on the glass said:
I think his tank is an in wall tank with a fish room.

My suggestion is have like a plank like melevs that can be attached on and off so you can stand on it and work in the tank

Is that a glass brace down the middle of the tank?

A plank is a must. 11' long, you want a walk board. I'd probably put one on each end too, since it is 48" wide. And a way to lay a board across the top for those big moments when you need to lay down on it to work on aquascaping or coral placement.

Is the top of the tank reinforced with a steel frame? Are those steel cross braces?

@Marc wrote:
A plank is a must. 11' long said:
Tank will have steel siding for reinforcement.

Pampee-- not sure on top if glass or what. Need to get in touch with them directly.
I plan to incorporate the plank since have plenty room in garage.

Please keep these comments coming as that will allow me to do it right the first time.
P.s. I am now convinced I enjoy the build as much as the hobby. Kinda sick lol

@Laser wrote:
P.s. I am now convinced I enjoy the build as much as the hobby. Kinda sick lol said:
From someone that is a month out of upgrade...that's demented!!! Lol!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ERIKATHORNBURG wrote:
[I]@Laser wrote:[/I][quote="P.s. I am now convinced I enjoy the build as much as the hobby. Kinda sick lol said:
From someone that is a month out of upgrade...that's demented!!! Lol!!!

Ya know your going nuts when...........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk"]

@Laser wrote:
Please keep these comments coming as that will allow me to do it right the first time. P.s. I am now convinced I enjoy the build as much as the hobby. Kinda sick lol said:
You can start a reality tv show on DIY network. ;)

"From start to fish"

(Instead of start to finish)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@kuyatwo wrote:
[I]@Laser wrote:[/I][quote="Please keep these comments coming as that will allow me to do it right the first time. P.s. I am now convinced I enjoy the build as much as the hobby. Kinda sick lol said:
You can start a reality tv show on DIY network. ;)

"From start to fish"

(Instead of start to finish)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk"]
Lol.

@Laser wrote:
Drainage Now that we are country folk and on a septic system water drainage has become a issue. I cannot empty 200 gallons of salt water for a water change into my anaerobic septic system as it will then water the yard with salt water and...... So my solution is this. Having septic company come out and install a third 1500 gallon septic tank that will hook into my existing system. They will then install some type of water treatment that will allow the saltwater to flocculate out salt and pass into main system and walla... salt water gone.. 1 1/2" pvc piping will be installed to the garage area and hooked into the salt septic as well as adding a sink into the garage with a common drain. 1 1/2" PVC will then hook to return pump with valve to open so that water can easily be pumped out during water change. [smilie=clapping.gif] said:
I too am on an aerobic septic system and didn't want saltwater in it. I am only running around 200g of tanks tight now so I just pour my waste water onto the gravel overflow parking next to my driveway, but I have given a lot of thought on how I would deal with the volume of waste from a much larger tank. One of the things that I kept coming back to is creating a dry well on the property just for saltwater waste.

A few mistakes have to be redone already. The outlets on each dedicated 30A circuit are too low on the wall and will be covered up by the sump. Electrician set to come back out to move them where the bottom of electrical plate will be at 27".
I will also be adding another dedicated 30A outlet up top for the lights.(You were correct Melev not enough power). Running 5 400 watt mh and 5 AI will consume 27A alone!
i will also be adding a 220V outlet for the heat pump/compressor split unit 2HHP chiller/heater. This is now on order and should arrive from Aqualogic in less than 4 weeks. Tank temp will remain steady at 77 even in extreme Texas heat and the tank being in a garage.
The drain line has now been run to the new septic system and has been stabbed open ended into the garage awaiting plumping to main system.
I will finish sealer on all new surfaces and post pics of final soon.
thanks for looking..

Sounds like everything is working out nicely. Keep up the good work.

Will the new septic system be a dedicated fish system or will anything else be tied into it? Also how will the salt water effect the workings of the septic system?

@K_Red_Raider wrote:
Will the new septic system be a dedicated fish system or will anything else be tied into it? Also how will the salt water effect the workings of the septic system? said:
A third septic tank was added for saltwater only. There is some type of treatment that is has that then passes it to the normal septic system and aerobic sprinklers. Recycling at its best.
A sink will also be tied in that will be used for saltwater cleaning.