Hoopsdaddy's 8 foot built-in w/tank room

I agree with Charlie. Can't wait to see water in it.

Great to meet you at Nextwave and look forward to seeing the tank come alive!

I was drooling over your sump but had no idea it was yours.... Very nice!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 4g using Tapatalk.

Titus and I were just about ready to load that bad boy up into the wife's minivan! Marc did an outstanding job.

@Titus wrote:

Charlie and Big D it was great to meet you at the show and during the setup. Really enjoyed getting to hang out with some other reef nerds. David, glad you got some water in the 65 on Sunday. Looking forward to some picts of that tank with the cool light on it.

Tony, Titus, and Shse666. Thanks for not taking my sump. I have been waiting to pick it up for a while and I am glad to finally have it home. Looking forward to working on all the plumbing this week. I think Marc did a great job. It came out really nice and I am glad I dumped the idea of just using a 75g tank and adding baffles. The new sump makes it much easier to access and I think it was worth the investment. Also, Marc was great to work with. I really have no complaints about the purchase so far. Final test will be once the water goes in, but I am certain that will all go well.

Shse666, you will have to get Marc to build you one for that massive predator tank you want.

I just saw your thread for the first time, and worked my way through all four pages. Your fishroom looks great and I think you'll have a very nice setup.

The only two things I'd recommend is access from the front ( I know, it's already trimmed out ), and drill your QT for reliable overflow. I saw the HOB overflow and I ran several tanks that way for years, but a RR tank is so much nicer - you never have to worry about it not draining.

Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to your progress.

Thanks Marc. I appreciate the compliments and the comments.

The tank is drilled with 2-1.5" bulkheads. Not sure about the overflow box you saw. Maybe it is the one on my 75g QT?

We are still talking about having front side access. I can do it at a later date without having a dust issue or having any structural issues as well. You may be right about it though and in time I may just go ahead and do it, although I really don't want to. [smilie=thinking.gif]

Also, I will try and post some pictures of the sump tonight or tomorrow. I will shoot some and sent them to you if you want. Thanks again for the sump and it looks great. Two questions for ya. What was the product that you mentioned again to use in place of rubble rock in the drain towers? Two, what product do you recommend using as a flexible drain line material so that I can remove a drain from it's bulkhead and run it through a filter sock once in a while?

Thanks again everyone and I will try to post some photos tonight. [smilie=wait.gif]

The most commonly used flexible line used is the spa flex hose. Rigid enough to withstand long usage, doesn't gunk up like some flexible lines can and is still flexible enough to work for most builds.

Seachem Matrixx is what I'm using. They have a pond version that I'll be receiving soon, as the rocks are bigger.

Yes, I was talking about the QT tank with the HOB overflow.

Thanks Marc. I will look that up tonight and get some info on it. I already have a bunch of rubble rock, so I may go that route, but I still want to check this stuff out before I make up my mind.

Thanks Airstreamin. I looked that up today and they carry it several places here so I will try and get some in the next day or two.

Got a few picts to add to the thread. Just cleaning up the fish room some today and getting a quick look at how things will look. Planning on starting the plumbing tomorrow or Friday. Here are some pictures of the gear I have been accumulating.

DSC00641e_zps78e7ce35.jpg
alt="">

DSC00642e_zps8fa67ed8.jpg
alt="">

DSC00643e_zpsbcdac0b8.jpg
alt="">

Here are some picts of the sump that Marc built for me. I think he did a great job and would recommend him to anyone looking to have a sump built.

For those of you who didn't see the sump at NextWave, the sump measures 48x24x14. [smilie=surprised.gif] Looking forward to getting everything hooked up this weekend and water testing everything.

DSC00640e_zpsc20a1787.jpg
alt="">

DSC00639e_zps6084900b.jpg
alt="">

DSC00644e_zps3a16f387.jpg
alt="">

DSC00645e_zps5ce9e422.jpg
alt="">

Very nice! In going with an external pump are you going to use that open are for a fuge? Going to put a screen in front of the intake?

Get it wet already! :)

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

Thanks Rory. If all goes well I will water test this week.

Airstreamin- that open area is the return area. I have a remote fuge and frag tank that will be plumbed into this one sump. That is why there are 4 drains on it. I will be putting a screen on the intake and already have it.

Thanks Marc, coming from someone who builds some amazing reefs that is a complement indeed.

Well, time to go work on some plumbing!

That is a monster skimmer and sump. It looks like this is gonna be a really nice tank. [smilie=nerd.gif]

Laser- Yeah, you are right about the plumbing. I have a plan so hopefully it will come together. I have a page full of plumbing parts to go purchase today. That will suck, but hopefully it will all come together nicely. I will try and post to updates this weekend.

Drew- Your right!, I put that skimmer in the sump Marc made for me and I was thinking, crap! I wish I would have had him make it bigger.... :) It all fits well though and it is all easily accessed. I am putting together a manifold off the main pump today. Hope to try and keep everything clean. Looking forward to doing the water test soon.

Hope you get all the plumbing done this weekend and are able to post some water test pics soon@@!!