help nitrate question

ive recently.got.back into the hobby after moving. ive started my tank over with argonite. the person before me.had.the.water in bad.condition. ive never had a.nitrate problem until this time.around. its at around 60 to 80 on the color.chart. ive changed 20 gallons out of this 75 gallon tank 2 tumes. it lowered it from 160 to 60 but it rises up again. my question is do yall think the argonite builds nitrates.? nit sure.hiw to get it back to under 10.

The sand itself is not a source of nitrates but if you did not wash the used sand thoroughly that may add nitrates from any organic material left in the used sand.

How new is the tank? Maybe nitrifying bacteria is still building up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be running a nitrate cycle... maybe add some microbacter or something that helps spped up the building of you bacteria... look into probidio... they have great products from what I have reas and might have some stuff to help out your situation.

135 oceanic mixed reef
55 mixed reef (wifes tank)

Also I am giving away cheato and calurpa if you want to come get some it eats nitrates

135 oceanic mixed reef
55 mixed reef (wifes tank)

thanks but I live in burleson. id waste a good 50 60 bucks.just driving.to ya in this darn truck of mine. hehe. ty though for the offer.

I might need.to invest in some though. does it reducenitrates a good amount? I got a.baggy of it once but it kept jamming my pump I never used.it after that. never figured.how to keep away from pumps.

@Demitrio555 wrote:
I might need.to invest in some though. does it reducenitrates a good amount? I got a.baggy of it once but it kept jamming my pump I never used.it after that. never figured.how to keep away from pumps. said:
If you don't have a refugium section in your sump you can keep the chaeto out of your return pump by building a vertical divider out of eggcrate. Cheap and easy.

@Mike R wrote:
[I]@Demitrio555 wrote:[/I][quote="I might need.to invest in some though. does it reducenitrates a good amount? I got a.baggy of it once but it kept jamming my pump I never used.it after that. never figured.how to keep away from pumps. said:
If you don't have a refugium section in your sump you can keep the chaeto out of your return pump by building a vertical divider out of eggcrate. Cheap and easy."]

Something like this should work well to prevent the macro algae from getting into the return pump.

I have a.refugium section the skimmertakes up most of it. im going to try that though. I have a little piece I can section off I guess a little.chaeto is.better than mone. thanks for the.idea

@Demitrio555 wrote:
I have a.refugium section the skimmertakes up most of it. im going to try that though. I have a little piece I can section off I guess a little.chaeto is.better than mone. thanks for the.idea said:
No problem, good luck!

man this time around is becoming a nightmare. just saw.ick on my dori. :x! im gona isolate her in my spare tank tomorrow after work.I hope she doesnt get the rest sick. plz any recomendations? needing a fast resolution. should I drain the whole tank- and change my sand out? and would it harm my fish at all putting them in new water not cycled yet?ima try to save my corals just lost one so far.but dont have a lot.

Just clean it then in the tank. Use gravel vacuum or eheim hand held. I doubt something that shallow is releasing nitrates. Just do water changes and start dosing bacteria. I prefer dr Tim's or zeobak over microbacter 7. Have you checked your phosphates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have not checked phosphates yet going.to fish store yo buy more test kits tomorrow. Right now I.just have. Nitrate kit I got yesterday. I never tested water before. When I had my old tank everything.was.great. I duno whats different this time. I set it up the.same way but better equipment this time. Ill let ya know the.results.as.soon as I test.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta