Foam Background, Yay or Nay?

Badbrad8500

Membership Expired
I've been researching pond foam backgrounds for my 150g build. I've read posts of several people who complain of possible Phosphate leakage from the pond foam over time. Figured I'd see if anyone here has built a background and had trouble with Phosphate or any other issue.

Thanks!

I had a problem with phosphates, whether or not it was from the foam I dunno. But, the hair algea just happened to grow the worst on the rockwall with pond foam.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I did one for my pico and didnt have any problems with the phosphates or GHA, but i made sure I sealed the whole thing with epoxy...

I didn't have a gha issue or phosphate issue because of pond foam. I would recommend sealing it though.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

I also sealed the pond foam, but still had a gha issue. Like I said, I cant say 100% that was the issue or not. It could have also been the dead rock pukani I got from BRS.

I've read the Pukani can leach out quite a bit of phosphate and my own testing of different rock from different sources supports that. Hence the rather elaborate rock curing scheme I'm going through right now to knock those levels down.

@MBSL55 wrote:
I've read the Pukani can leach out quite a bit of phosphate and my own testing of different rock from different sources supports that. Hence the rather elaborate rock curing scheme I'm going through right now to knock those levels down. said:
Acid Bath + Bleach treatment = Fantastic base rock with no built up phospates. One of the best things I did before I setup my tank.

file.php
alt="">

And the pond foam is good, but I would recommend using marine cement (BASF Emaco s88 ci marine cement) and a live rock mix. It's extremely durable and looks more realistic to me.

Here's a link to my build for more info:
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=74893&start=40

Lance our webbie has a beautiful tank with a pond foam background. Can't speak to the phosphates or not, but it is really gorgeous and adds a lot of depth to the tank.

Alrighty, looks like I'll be trying it! Thanks for all the info, guys.

Blide, your build is what inspired me to try my in-wall build. Very nice setup, both wall-side and behind. Where did you get that HCl acid? I'll try that as well. How did you secure the rock to that PVC skeleton without the rock drooping down from its weight. I assume you just used drilled rocks and a bunch of zip ties?

Lance, I like your setup, how many cans did you use to coat the back of that 90g? What kind of foam did you use? Did you seal it? Foam straight to the glass or a background?

@Badbrad8500 wrote:
Lance said:
It took 3 cans of the pond foam from HD. I did use egg crate and set the rock up but the foam raised more than I thought it would. Sprinkled sand on while the foam was wet. I then attached it to the glass after sealing it with 2 part epoxy that I found at Hobby Lobby. Here is the way I did it in my build log.

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=95425

@Badbrad8500 wrote:
Alrighty said:
You have to put the wet cement on while it's laying flat on the floor and the egg crate gives it a solid frame once the cement hardens. Then I used rods on the free standing rocks in the tank.

I would go with siliconed eggcrate offset from the wall 1 inch lay it down on its back and use DIY live rock (garf has a good mix) and dry stack it. Let it cure for a few days and then pump water in there and do water changes untill the PH balances out....

Thanks MBSL55, I'll pick some up.

Yeah Lance, I do like the look of that. Nice build by the way. Do you have any livestock in it yet? If it took you 3 cans, it'll probably take me 6-8 at least for a 6' background, wouldn't you think? I'll have to see if my budget allows that at $8-10 a can : ) It does look very nice though with the black and random shapes.

Blide, that concrete intimidates me lol, I'm going to use your rock formation building method though, I really like your landscaping. Seems like it would give height quickly without using up all my rocks.

Steve, I will have to come see it, do you have any pics in the meantime? When are you free? You want to help me cut my wall tomorrow? : )

McReefer, I'll have to research those DIY rocks, I would be hesitant with the possible toxicity though.