David's 30 Gallon AIO Nano/Micro Reef Build

Well, the clowns seem perfectly happy in the tank, and they're quite active. They love the PE mysis, and it's a pleasure to see them going after even the biggest pieces of shrimp! I am feeding them a quarter cube per day, which seems to suit them perfectly. Today I was a little generous, and the smaller one gorged himself until his belly looked pretty stuffed [smilie=lol.gif] .

I have not seen the ammonia rise to any detectable level since adding the clowns to the tank, so the cycle seems to have been successful. My level of paranoia has decreased quite a bit these past few days!

Anyway, I noticed today that I seem to have a tiny diatom spot on my sand bed:

11l7bxe.jpg
alt="">

I haven't added a CUC to the tank yet because there simply didn't seem to be anything for them to eat. Now that I'm seeing a bit of growth, perhaps I'll pick up a small hermit/snail combo during the bus tour tomorrow!

Get one or two Scarlet Hermits, and maybe three red legs. Those are much nicer to look at, and are active workers.

First, I just want to say that the bus tour was GREAT! I had a lot of fun, and it was nice to meet some of the other club members. The stores were awesome, and there was so much to look at! And those deals were pretty nice, too!

I ended up purchasing a beautiful green hammer coral, a 5-head frag of Kryptonite trumpet coral, a neon orange plate coral, and a 15-head colony of Armor of God zoas. I also picked up 3 scarlet hermits, one of which has some great coralline growth on his shell. I'll get some pictures of them when my white lights come back on so I can pick up their beautiful coloring.

Anyway, I got the corals acclimated, and arranged them in the tank with some CorAffix gel. My camera can't handle my blue lighting, so the pictures aren't great, but here's a shot of the tank:

mcc58m.jpg
alt="">

Here are a few shots of the corals up close. The zoas and trumpets are still opening up.

2v93rlt.jpg
alt="">

ickcxc.jpg
alt="">

wkqvi9.jpg
alt="">

xej5w.jpg
alt="">

These pictures (especially the ones of the orange plate coral and the zoas) don't do the colors of these corals justice. The plate coral is a beautiful bright orange, and the zoas are an amazing bright pinkish red. They're really intense. I need to find a way to take better shots of them.

I'll take a few more pictures once all the corals are in full swing and have opened up fully. I'm really excited with the progress on this tank! What a great day!

So here's a good shot of the tank with the white light on:

t813kx.jpg
alt="">

Here's a decent shot of two of my hermits, although only one is clearly visible. They've been scaling my rockwork like crazy and getting into all the tight spaces to snack on things, so it's hard to get good photos of them right now. This was taken with the lights off, so their bright red legs aren't being shown off too well:

ek0oqf.jpg
alt="">

Here are two more shots of the hammer and zoas under the blue light. The zoas really opened up:

2lo10xs.jpg
alt="">

2hqdx8n.jpg
alt="">

And finally, here are some shots of the corals with my white light finally on:

2vufp0m.jpg
alt="">

15i9mxl.jpg
alt="">

wjxwuc.jpg
alt="">

28qteft.jpg
alt="">

Very nice, David. Glad you found some gems yesterday.

Guppy Breeder, that would be great! I'm looking to get a mushroom of some sort in the near future (I've had my eye on the green polyp toadstool), and perhaps a brightly colored frogspawn. Do you have anything like that?

On a separate note, here's something that I noticed growing on my sand bed in a tiny 2mm spot, right out front. I only noticed it after putting the corals in, and it has grown a bit since I first saw it. It is green, and looks like a tuft of hair or fur growing in the sand. Is this green hair algae, green turf algae, or maiden's hair algae? I'd like to learn a bit more about it, but I'd like a positive ID first. Should I remove this immediately?

11razix.jpg
alt="">

Thanks, Marc! When I got home from work, the little tuft of hair algae was nowhere to be found! I guess I have one of my hermits to thank for that!

Anyway, it seems that the diatom bloom is starting up in this young tank. It's definitely growing faster than it can be eaten by my little hermits. From what I've read, a diatom bloom is normal in the early stages of a tank, and will die out once they use up all the resources. I'm using RO/DI water, running my GFO, and when I feed, I discard the small amount of tank water that I use to "defrost" my PE mysis, so I'm guessing the diatoms are just feeding off whatever silicates are in the live sand, as well as any nitrates that are slowly being broken down in the tank. I'll just wait this out and let it die down on its own. Here are a few shots of the various little brown diatom spots, just to document the process:

106bs0n.jpg
alt="">

iwiyy8.jpg
alt="">

So, I'm the type of person that obsesses over my various hobbies. This is great when it comes to things that require great attention to detail, but it can also lead to me getting pretty paranoid about things that I notice that don't "sit right" with me. I do my best to research things in this hobby, and when I can't seem to find the right information that explains my exact situation, I end up asking Marc or posting about it here on the forums. Here's something that concerns me:

I spend a lot of time observing my clownfish, and I notice that now and then, one of them will produce a "strand" of white or somewhat clear feces that stays attached to it for varying lengths of time. Now, other times, they will produce grey or light brown feces with a firm/solid consistency that just pops out and floats away immediately. Of course, when you search for the phrase "clownfish white feces" online, you get a million forum posts that suggest internal parasites as the cause. I'm trying to determine whether I should be worried about this. My clowns don't appear to be displaying any other symptoms of sickness... They swim around normally, don't seem to "breathe" all that rapidly, their eyes aren't cloudy, and they don't show any discoloration or spots. They also eat every single bit of PE mysis that I pour into the tank in a matter of a minute or two, so there's definitely no loss of appetite with these guys. But here's a shot of the fecal matter I'm talking about:

md0c5v.jpg
alt="">

I'm wondering if this is just the result of me feeding a steady diet of PE mysis to the clowns. The PE mysis usually looks bright white under my tank lighting, which may explain the whitish color of the fecal matter in question. I could be making a big deal out of nothing, which is fine. However, if you guys think i should be concerned about this, let me know! If so, I'd like to treat it so my little guys can be as healthy as possible. It seems that the most recommended product is PraziPro, and others suggest the Jungle Anti-Parasite Medicated Fish Food. Now, I don't have a QT (I simply don't have room for one), so if I were to use one of these products, it would be going into my DT. My question is whether these products will harm any of the corals, invertebrates, or beneficial bacteria in my DT. If any of you have any input on this, please comment! Thanks!

Here's a few updated shots of the tank, showing the increase in diatoms.

295q1dw.jpg
alt="">

2agw19t.jpg
alt="">

They are growing quickly! I know they will die down eventually, so I'm just waiting it out.

As for my clowns, I'm going to start feeding them Dr. G's Frozen De-Wormer food. If the white stringy feces is due to internal parasites, that should take care of it. If they don't have worms, then it will simply act as a preventative. It is supposed to be completely reef-safe, so I'm not worried about it harming my corals or crabs.

On a more positive note, I noticed today that my clowns are pairing! My wife noticed this happening earlier in the day, while I was at work. When I got home, I witnessed the larger one darting at the smaller one's side, and instead of simply swimming away, he started doing the trademark shimmy (although it looks more like a seizure, in my opinion [smilie=lol.gif] ). This happened three times in a row! It's very exciting!

Well, the diatoms are still growing, but the reef is looking good. My clowns seem happy, although my scarlet hermits are acting lazy... I think one of them may have actually died (he's retracted far back into his shell to where I can only see the tips of his legs if I look deep inside, and his legs haven't moved all day). I can't tell if he's resting, preparing to molt, or dead. The corals are doing well. I noticed today that the tip of one of my hammer coral's tentacles has pinched off and was floating around the tank. The coral looks great, and I read that this is one of the ways they reproduce, to start growing in new areas. I also noticed a new polyp developing in my small zoa colony. Things are moving along!

Well, I took a trip over to Ocean Avenue today, and my wife picked out 2 nice coral frags that we added to the tank. The first one is a bright pink montipora setosa, and the other is an encrusting montipora with hot pink skin and green polyps (I'm not sure if this is known as a "sunset" montipora or not, so please let me know). Danny at Ocean Avenue is awesome and extremely helpful. He even cut down the frag plugs on these guys so that I could fit them into my rockwork more easily.

I placed both frags on the rock arch in my tank so they could get some nice light. The setosa is already thriving, and the green polyps have come back out on the encrusting montipora, but the skin has yet to regain its pink color. Right now, it's just a dull brownish color. Is this normal, and will the neon pink color return in a day or two?

Here are a few shots:

2l9ttmf.jpg
alt="">
The frag plug is still visible, but I'm hoping that it will eventually be covered up by the coral, or some coralline algae.

219nus9.jpg
alt="">
This shot doesn't do justice to the brilliance of the green polyps. It does show the current lack of pink coloration at this point, though...

I did determine that my littlest scarlet hermit was dead. His legs had not moved at all since the previous day, and when I took him out of the tank, his shell did smell slightly "fishy." I touched one of his legs and there was no movement whatsoever, so I concluded that he passed on. I'm not sure what caused his death, because the other two scarlet hermits look fine. Perhaps it was just his time to go... Anyway, while I was at Ocean Avenue, I picked up 3 red-legged hermits and an electric orange hermit (I was supposed to get 4 red legs, but Danny must have grabbed an orange by mistake -- it's really hard to tell the difference under the blue lights in the tank!). Anyway, it turned out to be a nice little surprise for me when I got home. I love the look of the orange hermit with his blue eyes! The red-legged hermits are extremely active -- much more so than my scarlets. I also picked up some extra shells for them, too. Here are a few pics:

n2e9lc.jpg
alt="">
A red-legged hermit.

11ui0ir.jpg
alt="">
The electric orange hermit (which is brighter in person),

Finally, here's an overall shot of the tank (taken right after I mounted the corals, so they were still adjusting):

21jynf7.jpg
alt="">

As for the tank, it looks like the diatom bloom is clearing up. The tank is a little less brown today than it was yesterday. I also noticed last night that the new polyp on my zoa colony is actually TWO new polyps, growing side by side! Very exciting! In addition, I was pleased to see some coralline algae growing on the base of each powerhead in the tank. I've heard that this usually takes a few months to start growing, so I'm excited to see it starting up so quickly in a tank that was only started with clean dry rock!

With all these corals in the tank now, I think it's time for me to start really monitoring calcium and alkalinity, and dosing B-Ionic. I'll start that over the weekend. I picked up a pH meter, and my pH is currently sitting at 8.1, which I'm pleased with. The pH meter also had a temperature probe, and it tells me that my temperature is higher than I originally thought, at about 81.5 degrees. I'm wondering if I should try to back off my heater a bit... Anyway, things look pretty good in the tank. I'm hoping the encrusting montipora will regain its purple color. Let me know what you think! Thanks.

Today was water change day, and it was the first water change for my fish in this tank. The larger one didn't seem too pleased, and spent the whole time huddled in the lower corner of the tank. In this tank, I have to turn off all the powerheads and the return pump to change the water, so the fish had no flow. Once I got the new water in (it took about 20 minutes) and turned the pumps back on, the fish perked up again. I'm sure all my inhabitants will appreciate the new water!

I'm in the process of lowering the temperature in the tank a bit, given that recent finding with the different thermometer. I'm going to try to keep the tank at around 79-80 degrees.

In other news, I witnessed a fight between one of my red-legged hermits and one of my scarlets. The scarlet was perched up on a tall rock, and the red leg looked like he was trying to climb over it. However, they both ended up tumbling off together to the sand bed. Once they regained their bearings, the red leg pounced on the scarlet and the scarlet retreated instantly into his shell. The red leg went in after him, locking shells with him and burrowing into the other shell. With his front half inside the scarlet's shell, the red leg started to buck his shell back and forth. He got so carried away that he actually left his shell completely for a few moments to travel further in after the scarlet. He finally came back out, and I thought the scarlet was done for, but then I saw its legs starting to protrude again. The red leg started to go after it again, but I intervened and set him further away on the sand bed (I don't want to sit and watch my inhabitants kill each other, and I've got plenty of other shells for them if they want them). But the two of them started heading toward each other again, and this time, the scarlet did the attacking. He beat the red leg into submission, then headed for the hills while the red leg hid. They both seem fine. All in all, it was an exciting day on the reef!

So I'm considering getting another blue Reefbrite XHO in the future, to make the coral colors "pop" a little more when the white light is on, and to provide some more light in the actinic spectrum for the zooxanthellae. What do you guys think?

Well, a lot has been happening with the tank over the past few days! Here's an updated picture:

2vxhbnr.jpg
alt="">

The diatom bloom is long gone, but I noticed after my water change that the rocks were starting to look a bit more tan-colored. After another day, I noticed a bunch of bubbles forming on the rockwork. It looks like my tank has finally started getting some brown algae growth! Anyway, I decided to beef up my cleanup crew a bit by adding in 5 banded trochus snails. Boy, was that a good idea! These little guys blow my hermit crabs away in terms of cleaning power! Within a few hours, I was noticing big white patches on my rockwork where the snails had eaten all the algae and revealed the true color of the rock again. It is incredible how much these snails eat in such a short period of time! So far, they seem to be getting along quite well with my hermits. I chose trochus snails for their ability to right themselves if they ever find themselves on their backs. Their shells are absolutely beautiful, with a nice coating of coralline algae. One of them even had an asterina starfish on it!

The hermits are doing well. The other day I witnessed two of them actually trade shells with each other (after a bit of a fight). I've got a number of spare shells scattered around the tank, but I went ahead and picked up a few more just to give them a wider variety. They seem to only want the shells on each other's backs! Oh well. They are very entertaining to watch, though! A few days ago, I found that the smaller scarlet had molted, and he was looking quite bright and pretty! I removed the molt from the tank to keep things tidy.

While I was at the LFS, I picked up a fairly small cleaner shrimp, as my wife has been wanting one in the tank since I set it up. Right now he's in "shy mode," basically hanging upside down under the rock arch, but the clownfish are somewhat interested in him and I see them swimming up to him every now and again, though I haven't actually witnessed him cleaning either of them yet. I was surprised today to see that he had molted overnight! I almost didn't see the molt, as it was behind a large piece of rock, but I spotted the antennae and was able to pull it out.

Here's a shot of my new shrimp cleaning one of the snails:

28ro65w.jpg
alt="">

My clownfish are doing well. I have noticed more "dominant" behavior from the larger one, and I have witnessed the smaller one doing the "shimmy" for her, sometimes 3 or 4 times in a row! They are both eating well and seem quite active and curious. I've started noticing that the larger one's coloring is getting a little darker, especially along the edges of her back. It seems that she's coming of age a bit!

My corals are all doing well. The encrusting montipora has gained a bit more pink coloration in its skin, and I'm sure that it will improve with time. All the others look great! I'm going to start feeding them once I can get my hands on some Reef Chili.

I went ahead and picked up the second blue Reefbrite XHO yesterday. I also purchased a bracket that attaches to all 3 lights and keeps them aligned. The lights look pretty slick now, and I love the way the tank is looking, both inside and out! The extra blue light brings out the color of the corals, and should provide some more nourishment for the zooxanthellae.

Here's a shot of the new light setup:

2ni0jfb.jpg
alt="">

And here are a few shots of a couple of corals under the new lighting (I can't take any good pictures of the corals under just the actinics with my phone because they get too washed out, so I can't post any shots of these guys looking really dazzling yet. Either way, these things look WAY better in person):

2wf01on.jpg
alt="">

2r44lu8.jpg
alt="">

2lvizo3.jpg
alt="">

My tank is still very young, and like most of us in this hobby, I'm constantly fighting the urge to do too much too soon. I make new additions to the tank fairly regularly, but I try to only choose things that I know will not add too much to the bioload just yet. The addition of corals and invertebrates, like hermits and snails, adds color and excitement to the tank, while placing very little stress on the system. I'm holding off on getting another fish for now, but when I finally do, I think it will be a Helfrich's firefish. They are just too beautiful to pass up. So far, my inhabitants are:

(2) Ocellaris clownfish
(2) Scarlet reef hermit crabs
(3) Red-legged hermit crabs
(1) Electric orange hermit crab
(5) Banded trochus snails
(1) Scarlet cleaner shrimp
(1) Green wall hammer coral
(1) ~15-polyp Armor of God zoa frag
(1) 5-head Kryptonite trumpet coral frag
(1) Orange plate coral
(1) Montipora setosa frag
(1) Encrusting montipora frag ("sunset," although it has pink skin instead of orange)
....and a small amount of tiny featherdusters and asterina starfish that I noticed on a coral or two and did not remove

I've had my eye on a brilliant red and green blasto that I think I might add soon. I'd also like to get a nice torch or a frogspawn in there. Once I can find some blue or rainbow ricordea, that will definitely be going in, too!

So far, my water parameters are looking good! I check the ammonia now and then to make sure I'm not causing any sort of mini-cycle, but it's always 0 ppm. pH is around 8.3, and salinity is at 1.026. My temperature is usually a steady 79 degrees, but I came home today to find that the room was quite warm with the windows open and the tank temp had risen to 81! I closed the windows and kept the fan and A/C running, and it eventually came back down to normal over the course of the evening. I had been keeping the windows open to raise pH, but I'm going to close them for a day to see if I can maintain a decent pH with all the new photosynthesis going on in the tank now. If I can get by with the windows closed, that will definitely help me keep things at a steady temperature. Anyway, calcium is sitting around 400, while alkalinity is 7-7.5. Magnesium is at 1450. I really need to get my hands on a phosphate test kit, but I haven't gotten to it quite yet. I've been considering dosing with B-Ionic, mainly to bring the alkalinity up a bit, but right now it seems that the water parameters are fairly well maintained with my water changes every 2 weeks. I'll continue to monitor and start dosing if my corals' usage starts to increase.

Anyway, that's it for now! Happy reefing, guys!

I noticed one of my zoa polyps looking a bit odd yesterday... The skirt looked a little white, and it seemed like the little "frills" on one side were shorter than the rest. I did some investigating, and I realized that what I had thought to be a featherduster nestled up under this polyp (I have a few tiny ones growing elsewhere on the frag and I think they're neat) was actually a vermetid snail! He was a dark reddish purple color, and looked like a little spiral coil. I bet his mucus was irritating the zoa. Anyway, I removed the little guy in one piece with tweezers (he was rooted in the flesh of the zoa stalk, where it branched off), so the polyp should be happy again! I tried to take a picture of him, but he was a bit too small and ended up just looking like a little dark blob... Oh well!