David's 30 Gallon AIO Nano/Micro Reef Build

I wanted to post a couple of extra pictures, so here is a shot of the tank cycling with the raw intact shrimp:

2rpts9v.jpg
alt="">

The tank is finally complete, equipment-wise. The Blue XHO is now perched on top of the tank, and it looks slick! Here are a few shots to illustrate the low profile of these lights:

flgis9.jpg
alt="">

14k9klt.jpg
alt="">

And here's the tank with only the blue light on:

xksva1.jpg
alt="">

10d8twi.jpg
alt="">

Here are a few shots with the blue and white on at the same time:

2hdw384.jpg
alt="">

igzwqr.jpg
alt="">

I want to be able to enjoy the tank while I'm actually home, so I'm setting the light cycle as follows:

11 AM - Blue on
12 PM - White on
10 PM - White off
12 AM - Blue off

That gives me a 1-hour "sunrise," followed by 10 hours of full lighting, and a 2-hour "sunset." I think that will do nicely.

Well, chemical levels are currently looking good for my cycle: ammonia is decreasing (it will hopefully be less than 1 ppm tomorrow), nitrite has increased to a level that is beyond the readability of my test kit (around 1.5 ppm), and nitrate is on its way up, too (nearing 30 ppm). There is definitely a lot of bacterial action going on in this tank! The water has been in my tank for 2 weeks, although I only added the raw intact shrimp a week ago.

Given what I have read, water changes can actually be fairly beneficial to a cycling tank, so I performed my first 8 gallon water change tonight, which I plan to do every 2 weeks. Depending on whether you count the capacity of the sump, this equates to a 20-26.7% water change. I expect to see a slight drop in chemical levels, but nothing that should affect the growth or survival of the bacteria that are thriving in the tank.

I initially used Reef Crystals to start up the tank, but I think I'm going to go with Red Sea Coral Pro salt now, instead. I used about 4 cups of salt for my 8 gallons of RO/DI water, which gave me a salinity of 1.026 (35 ppt). I used a 50W Eheim Jager heater and a small powerhead to mix and heat the saltwater for about 2 hours. Next, I drained 8 gallons from the tank with my siphon, and finally added the 8 gallons of new water to the tank. Everything went really smoothly, and the process was pretty easy. My water looks to be sitting at 79 degrees right now, and it usually stays rock solid at around 79.5 degrees with both lights on. I let the water circulate in the tank for a few hours, and took a final salinity reading with my refractometer, and I'm still at 1.026, so it seems to be a success. I marked the insides of my 20 gallon plastic trashcans at the 8 gallon level, and now that I know how much salt to use, mixing up the saltwater for future water changes should be a breeze.

Before I added the new saltwater to the tank, I took a pH reading, and it was sitting at right around 8.3, or perhaps 8.4. After allowing the new water to circulate through the tank, I took another pH reading, and it was back at around 7.6. My alkalinity is at 9.5 dKH, so it's not a low alkalinity problem... The low pH in my tank initially worried me, but I feel a lot more comfortable with it now. The bacteria in my tank are doing a lot of work right now, and all the byproducts that they are pumping out are acidic, so it's not surprising to me that the pH is lower than it is in a normal cycled tank. Another thing to consider is the fact that, while I am running my lights now (for my own enjoyment), my tank doesn't really have any flora that undergo photosynthesis, which would raise the pH, as well. My return nozzle is producing a nice ripple across the top of the water in the display tank, and my mesh screen provides adequate contact with the air, so the gas exchange should provide plenty of oxygen to the tank once the bacteria settle down. When the tank has finished its cycle, I expect to see a rise in pH, and the addition of photosynthetic inhabitants should increase the pH, as well. I'd rather not have to use a pH buffer in my tank.

Anyway, it's back to waiting/monitoring for me! Once the tank is cycled, I'll be adding a cleanup crew, so please feel free to provide advice as far as invertebrates go (types and quantity of inhabitants for my size tank). I'm thinking scarlet reef hermits, dwarf blue leg hermits, nassarius snails (for their self-righting ability), and cleaner shrimp. I'm on the fence about larger crabs due to the possibility of aggression... Thanks!

Here's the latest chart of the cycle:

6z3o8k.jpg
alt="">

Following the water change, ammonia is down to 0.3 ppm, nitrite dropped a little bit to 1.4 ppm, and nitrate dipped down to 20 ppm. I expect ammonia to continue to decrease, nitrite to either stay level for a while or drop slightly, and nitrate to rise back up. Things seem to be going well!

I don't recommend changing water during the cycle. It prolongs it. Let it do its thing, and then when everything is where it needs to be, you can begin to add some life. I wouldn't change water for at least two week after the new critters are introduced. Let the tank find its bioload / equilibrium.

Very nice writeup of your thoughts.

Ammonia is now down to 0.1 ppm, and nitrite seems to be at around 1.2 ppm. Nitrate is at around 15 ppm. Things are moving along!

Ammonia is officially down to 0 ppm today, and I'm surprised at how fast the nitrite is dropping! It's currently at 0.5 ppm. Nitrate seems to be holding steady at 15 ppm. Here's a chart of the cycle thus far, showing only ammonia and nitrite:

2natooh.jpg
alt="">

I'm thinking of starting off with a clownfish as the first inhabitant, since they're nice and hardy. I was planning to go with a CUC, but the GFO seems to be inhibiting any sort of algae growth thus far (the tank is crystal clear, and totally barren), and I just don't think the CUC will have anything to eat... I might enjoy a fish first, and then add some inverts later.

If you have the nitrate numbers, I would have included them in the graph as well. It's a great visual showing how the cycle works.

I do have the nitrate numbers, but I excluded them from the last graph so it would be easier to see the ammonia and nitrite peaks. Nitrate is currently around 15 ppm, which seems to indicate a pretty rapid conversion of nitrate to nitrogen gas in a tank this "young." My tank seems to be getting through the cycle a little quicker than most, with ammonia and nitrite spikes dropping off fairly quickly and in rapid succession (although I have not allowed them to initially spike as high as some others have). I will be adding my inhabitants slowly and monitoring carefully to make sure the bioload does not overwhelm the system. Overall, I'm excited!

Ammonia takes time to rise, and Nitrite spikes and falls quickly. Nitrate normally rises quite a bit at the end of the cycle, which is when one would do a large water change. That's when the tank is ready to use.

Given that my ammonia and nitrite levels were down to zero and my nitrate was fine, I decided it was time to add something live to the tank. I wanted to go with a hardy species in case there were any subsequent spikes, so I decided on an ocellaris clownfish. This was where it got tricky. I know that my tank is new, so I was on the fence about adding two at once... I wanted them to pair well, and considered the notion that adding a second fish a few weeks down the road might result in the first inhabitant becoming aggressive or territorial toward the second one. Anyway, I ended up getting two small ocellaris clowns. They are fairly small, as you'll see in the pictures. I'm going to be feeding them every 2 days in order to cut down on the waste that they produce, and if I notice any ammonia spikes, I'll do a water change to help bring the levels under control.

The first clown has a thinner middle white band, and was quite a feisty little guy in the tank at the LFS. He was the prettiest of the group, but he would dart out at the other clowns here and there, and seemed to show the most playful/aggressive demeanor. I selected him because he was so incredibly active, and seemed quite healthy. The second clown was more docile and spent its time hanging out against the wall of the tank at the LFS. This one is just a hair bigger than the more active one, and has a wider middle white band that actually overlaps slightly onto the back dorsal fin. Both fish have great coloring, and no defects like nicked fins or discolored spots.

When I got home from the LFS, it was time for the acclimation process. I closed the blinds, turned the lights off (both the tank lights and the room lights), and floated the bags in the display tank for about 20 minutes. The smaller clown seemed fairly active most of the time, but the larger one seemed to just be resting on the bottom of the bag, moving its fins slowly. Next, I opened the bags and rolled the tops down a bit, clamping them to the side of the tank so they would float. At this point, I added a half cup of water from the tank to each bag, and both fish seemed to perk up a bit. I continued adding a half cup of water every 5 minutes until the bags were just about full, then I emptied about 3/4 of the water out into the sink, and started the process over again. By this time, both fish seemed quite happy and active in their bags. After the bags were full again, I poured most of the water out into the sink and poured the rest through a net, which I used to place the fish into the tank. This way, I didn't get any of the LFS tank water into my own tank. After the fish were in, I replaced the water that I put into the bags from the tank with freshly mixed saltwater. I left the tank lights off for about 4 or 5 hours, then turned on the blue light for 30 minutes, and finally, the white light (in order to acclimate them to the tank lights).

The two clowns stuck together upon entering the tank, and huddled together near the bottom in a corner. They spent about 10 or 15 minutes hanging out there before they started to venture out. They would travel together across the tank, a little at a time, and then return to their "safe zone" in the corner. Each time, their excursions got longer. After a few minutes of this, they were zooming around the tank, exploring every inch of it. They swam around the arch, hung out in the cave, played with their reflections in the glass, and frolicked in the stream of the powerheads. These fish are really energetic, and it's a blast to watch them zipping around the tank. They don't seem stressed at all.

And now, a note on their behavior/relationship: Most of the time, they swim around together, getting along happily. It's interesting, though, because their roles seem to have reversed now that they are the only 2 fish in a tank together. The slightly larger, more docile one seems to be dominant to the smaller one, who was originally more aggressive at the LFS. During the night, I did notice them getting especially close, and the slightly larger one made displays of dominance toward the smaller one. It would brush up against the smaller one, and every now and again, it would nip at the smaller one's belly, which the smaller one would allow. I haven't noticed any of the trademark "shaking," but that will probably occur with time. When the tank lights are off, the slightly larger one will hang out in the cave, while the smaller one will swim around (usually closeby) and guard the cave, at times. I'm fairly certain that the slightly larger one will become the female, so I'll refer to it as a "she."

I tested the water this morning, and ammonia is still below the detection threshold of my test kit, although the "yellow" color of the test water is not as deep as it was before. Nitrite is basically nonexistent, as well. When the lights came on, the fish perked up, and they're zooming around in the tank again. Overall, they seem quite happy with their new home. I am, of course, paranoid about the health of my new inhabitants, and given how new the tank is, I feel that is justified. I know that there will be people that feel that I might have put them in too soon, but things seem great right now. I think the key will be adequate monitoring. With my windows open, the pH in the tank has risen to about 8.2, and all the other parameters seem fine. We'll see how it goes!

Here are a few pictures of the fish that I took with my phone (hence the poor quality):

255peut.jpg
alt="">
Hanging out in their intial "safe zone".

nz5ag4.jpg
alt="">
Enjoying the tank.

10ye58h.jpg
alt="">
Hanging out in the cave at night (lights out).

50p0s6.jpg
alt="">
Passing through the arch.

szy6nd.jpg
alt="">
The slightly larger, potential female with her wider middle white band.

o9lgxy.jpg
alt="">
The smaller male with the thinner middle white band.

I would feed them twice a day, not every two days. Just a pinch of food per session. There's nothing else for them to do all day, right? lol Do you have any flake food or what did you buy?

I've got PE mysis. From what I've read, it seems to be top-notch stuff. The only reason I wasn't planning on feeding more often was to keep any potential ammonia spikes down...

PE mysis is nutrient rich, to be sure. It will shut down your skimmer for about an hour. I'd get some type of marine flake food or possibly some pellet food. Clownfish tend to eat anything.

I understand you want to keep the bioload low, but two small clowns are not going to overcome a 40g breeder. The bioload needs to grow to adjust for the livestock and foods being added.

I went ahead and mixed up a quarter of a cube of PE with tank water, draining it off. They ate it in about 2 minutes. I think that should do them for today. They seem happy!

Well, I've been looking at the tank and trying to determine where I could put different corals. I'm starting to wonder if it was a good idea to put that large piece of rock that looks like dead coral in the right side of the tank. My concern is that it will take up valuable space for actual corals and will look uninteresting compared to the live growth in the tank. What do you guys think? I know if I were to take it out, I'd be losing a large portion of my biofilter, which would NOT be good...

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what would make a good first coral in this tank. I'll start off by saying that color is a BIG factor for me. I'm crazy about those bright fluorescent colors! :D I also love the softies because of the movement they have. It's a great aesthetic for the tank. Ideally, I'd like to have something my clownfish can play around in. Unfortunately, most of the corals with a lot of movement also have sweepers, and having to keep them separate from other corals in my relatively small tank will limit the number of corals I can keep. I love hammer corals and torches, but they fall into the "sweeper" category. If I could find a really colorful pipe organ, I'd go with that, or perhaps a nice bright toadstool (although most of the ones I've seen have looked rather "bland"). I'm also considering some ricordea. One thing that I definitely want in the tank are zoas. I love the look of the bright green polyps with the eye-catching red edges. Candycanes/trumpets are also beautiful.

Since everyone here seems quite knowledgeable, I'd love some suggestions. What are some interesting corals that won't be too aggressive that you think might look good in the tank? Which do you think would provide a nice amount of movement, and which do you think would add the most color to the tank? Also, what are your thoughts on that piece of rock in the tank? Should I keep it in so that it eventually develops a nice coating of coralline algae, or should it go to make room for actual corals? This is all just food for thought at this point. I'm just open to opinions.

Get some encrusting gorgion for the motion, its rather blah tho white-fleshy pink but the way it flows is awesome I have some in my tank on its own rock and love it, or get some green star polyps and get a small peice of shelf rock and put the gsp on it and then that on the sand bed so it don't take over

I like your aquascape. You can glue zoanthids to that structure and let it ever so slowly get covered.

Dendrophyllia would be a very nice coral for a tank this size. Feed it every few days. Lavender Frilly Mushrooms would be nice too.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Marc, I like the look of that dendrophyllia! And good idea on the zoas for that piece of rock. I think I might prefer a green polyp mushroom/leather over the lavender frilly mushroom, though. Keep the suggestions coming, everyone! This is giving me some great ideas! I'm definitely going to be keeping my eyes open on the bus tour! :mrgreen: