David's 30 Gallon AIO Nano/Micro Reef Build

Well, the fish seem to be doing fine in the QT. They're all eating and the firefish seemed to be a little less timid today. He spent more time out in the open, hovering and swimming around a bit. The large trophont is gone, so I can no longer see any spots on any of the fish. I have noticed that the firefish's color has become much more vivid. He's got a good amount of yellow in his tail and fins, which is beautiful. I think his pinkish/purple coloration has deepened, too.

My DT is doing well. However, I've noticed that the water looks just a bit cloudy/milky, and the corals don't seem to be as extended as they usually are. I'm hypothesizing that the slight cloudiness in the water is a bacterial bloom due to bacteria setting up a balance with the remaining algae in the tank. On that note, the algae in my tank has not shown any signs of new growth for a few days now, so I think that stage may be nearing completion. I performed a full battery of tests on the water in my DT, and my levels are just about perfect in every regard. My main goal is to borrow Marc's PAR meter in the near future so I can see just how much light my LEDs are putting out. Once I know that, I can tailor my lighting to better suit my corals' needs. In other news, my cleaner shrimp molted AGAIN a day or two ago. That means he has molted twice in less than two weeks!! I usually hand him a little piece of mysis shrimp each time I feed, so he must be growing nicely! He's quite a character, and a real pleasure to watch. I picked up a nice colony of Daisy Duke zoas from Guppy Breeder the other day, and they're doing well in the tank thus far. My last bit of cool information is that I noticed a bunch of copepods on the glass in my DT tonight. That's exciting to me, as it means that my tank is one step closer to becoming "well-established." Woohoo! I can already hear the wheels turning in my wife's head as she imagines a green mandarin in the tank someday... [smilie=lol.gif]

While your at sits fishless id buy a couple packs of pods to "seed" the tank and help establish a healthy breeding population of pods, if you have room in the back part of your tank you can pick up some rubble rock to place back there to give the pods a "home" so to speak there are also some people how make little mounds of rubble rock in the dt as like another little breeding place for pods it also gives the potential mandarin a place to snack.

Some of you may have seen my other thread regarding my Helfrichi firefish, but if you haven't, I'm sorry to say that the little guy died a few nights ago. Everything was going fine in the QT, and then he started acting very stressed (breathing rapidly and laying around on the bottom of the tank). My water parameters looked fine and the 2 clownfish seemed quite happy, but for some reason, he just couldn't pull through, despite my best efforts. I'm assuming he was just a sickly fish from the beginning. He wasn't with me long, but he will be missed. Throughout the entire process, my clownfish have seemed healthy. I never saw any ich spots on them, and they have certainly retained their big appetites and playful nature. Out of fear that the hyposalinity treatment was just too stressful, I began to slowly raise the salinity in the QT back up a number of days ago. Now that it's back to normal, I'm strongly considering putting the clowns back in the DT so things can get back to normal. It's a bit of a risk, since it technically hasn't been long enough for any ich that might have gotten in the DT to fully die off (it has been a little over 2 weeks since I took the fish out of the tank), but given that the firefish only showed a few spots and wasn't in the DT more than a day or so, I think it might be alright.

Anyway, my reef is certainly becoming quite the little ecosystem. It seems like every time I sit down to observe the tank, I find something new going on. That brown algae is a thing of the past, and my wife and I were just commenting on how clean all the rock looks these days. The water is quite clear, too. The copepods seem to be doing alright, and I have a few spots in my rockwork where they can multiply and no predators can get to them. Along with the copepods on the glass, I also noticed a few tiny benign flatworms inching around yesterday (thanks for your help on the ID, Marc!). The other day I also witnessed a trochus snail spawning event. I looked up to see this milky fluid squirting out from behind a rock, and when I took a closer look, it was a snail releasing his sperm for a good 20 minutes or so. Maybe I'll have some baby banded trochus snails in the near future! I've also noticed a few tiny purplish sponges growing around the stalks of my octospawn. One of my new inhabitants was not so great, though. I noticed some baby aiptasia growing in a small crevice in my rockwork, so I sprang into action and applied some Aiptasia-X, which took them out in minutes. I highly recommend that product! Another interesting thing I noticed tonight was that I seem to have some digitate hydroids growing within my Daisy Duke colony. I only noticed them extending once the lights were off, but they are really interesting to see. I noticed a greenish tint to my white rock with the lights off tonight, so I'm wondering if I'm going to get a green algae bloom here over the next few days. All part of the process, I guess! We'll see what happens.

How's the cyphestrea doing? I noticed it seems to already cover the entire plug when purchased? If you snip it in half you will increase the growth speed significantly.

The cyphastrea is starting to encrust. It's already overtaking the coral glue that I used to stick the plug on the rock. Thanks for the tip! I don't know how I can cut it now, though...

Good evening, reefers! It's time for an update!!

My wife and I stopped by Neptune's Cove again today, and we picked up some great pieces! We walked away with a beautiful blue-tipped green frogspawn, a bright flowerpot, a green mushroom, some green star polyps, a red mushroom, and a Kenya tree. We also paid a visit to Ocean Avenue and got a great deal on some Duncans!

Here's a shot of the tank, looking a lot more full of life!

15dtief.jpg
alt="">

(You might also notice that my Koralias are gone. I've replaced them with a Vortech MP10 that sits on the ride side of the tank. Things look MUCH neater this way! I've currently got it on Reef Crest mode, and I love it!)

Here are some closer shots:

snpf7c.jpg
alt="">

25jdsf4.jpg
alt="">

And now, for some closeups of the new corals!

20gn0p5.jpg
alt="">

15gb95c.jpg
alt="">

24ltok2.jpg
alt="">

25a3dj8.jpg
alt="">

212u7m0.jpg
alt="">

dmbk79.jpg
alt="">

2s80iyx.jpg
alt="">

I'd also like to introduce Sneaky Pete, my new six line wrasse:

2qsxkd2.jpg
alt="">

He has been an excellent addition to the tank! I think his presence has helped my octospawn to open back up again, as he has been hard at work darting in and out of the corals and picking off the copepods that seemed to be irritating the octospawn heads.

So it's been a great day! Happy reefing, everyone!

I took a couple of pictures with a pink and orange filter over my camera lens to get the colors to show up a bit more. Unfortunately, it makes the pictures slightly blurry. Anyway, here they are:

2llmteq.jpg
alt="">

257deg0.jpg
alt="">

14kzcxk.jpg
alt="">

@dward0487 wrote:
Things are looking pretty good in the tank! I picked up a dimmer for my white Reefbrite XHO said:
Where did you pick up the Reef Chili?

Thanks! Awesome looking tank!

Sorry, guys! I haven't been on the forum in FOREVER! I got preoccupied with school and just never had time to post any more updates. Anyway, I finally finished my PhD, so now I have more time to myself. However, I'm moving out of Fort Worth, so I'm going to have to sell my tank and all the fish and corals I have in it. Please check out the "Live Goods for Sale/Trade" and "Dry Goods for Sale/Trade" if you'd like to purchase some of the things you've seen in this build log (including the complete tank setup!). I really enjoyed this tank, but it's time to pass it on to another reefer! My wife and I hope to upgrade to a much larger reef tank when I get settled into my new home!