David's 30 Gallon AIO Nano/Micro Reef Build

Hey guys! My name is David, and I live in the west Fort Worth area. This will be my first post here, as I'm new to the forums. I plan on joining DFWMAS soon, as well. I'm relatively new to saltwater aquariums, having only had some experience with 1 other tank that I ran with my father when I was younger (and had no clue what I was doing...). Since the reef tank bug hit me, I've been doing a lot of research, and I think I'm ready to take the plunge! In this thread, I'll be presenting the plans for my new micro/nano reef tank, as well as pictures of my progress on the build. So, let's start off with a little background information:

While I would absolutely love to have a 150 or 200 gallon tank, my wife and I live in an apartment with limited space, and our budget is equally limited! For this reason, I have decided to go with a nano/micro 30 gallon reef tank. I know that I'll have to be diligent about monitoring my water parameters and doing my regular water changes, but I'm confident that I'm up to the task. I plan to have a maximum of 5 or 6 fish (1 or 2 Ocellaris clowns, a goby/shrimp pair, a six-line wrasse, a Helfrich's firefish, and perhaps a Midas blenny), with an assortment of soft and LPS corals. I'll be using about 35-40 pounds of porous base rock in the tank, with a nice piece of healthy live rock to get the coralline algae seeded.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I want this tank to have an absolute minimum of clutter. This means that anything that hangs off the back of the tank (overflow, refugium, skimmer, etc.) is out of the question. I also don't have a lot of space for a large cabinet to house an external sump. For these reasons, I have decided to go about building an AIO tank. I have seen a few designs where the sump is located on one side of the tank and blacked out, but I'm not keen on the symmetry of that look, so I have decided to use a 40 gallon breeder tank that is a little bit deeper (36"x18"x16" LxDxH) and create a false wall which will form a 6"-deep sump located in the rear of the tank. Given that the tank is slightly more than 40 gallons, my plans result in a 30 gallon display tank (36"x12"x16") and a 13 gallon sump (36"x6"x16"). I'm using black acrylic for the false wall, and I'll be blacking out the portions of the glass that will comprise the sump. Below is my original sump design (drawn to scale and pictured as if you were facing the back of the tank, looking toward the front; some dimensions and details have been changed and will be discussed later):

5pok7n.jpg
alt="">

As you can see, the sump section is set up so that all the equipment will fit inside, and nothing will be sticking out over the lip of the top trim. I have the standard overflow section with teeth to reduce the chance of my inhabitants making their way into the overflow/intake area. I will be constructing a removable media "tower" from eggcrate and plastic rods. This tower will contain a sponge (for mechanical filtration), as well as filter bags filled with carbon and GFO. This way, I can easily replace the filter media in the sump. The water will flow through the teeth in the overflow, pass through the sponge, and then over the filter bags. I have included a bubble trap so that no large bubbles make it into the skimmer portion of the sump. I chose to go with an "under-over-under" design for the bubble traps because I felt that it would promote a better flow of water through the filter media, and it will fit in better with this design. I'm going with a Tunze Comline DOC 9004 skimmer for this setup. I've read good things about it, and its small size should work well for this sump design. The skimmer includes 2 magnets for mounting, and I plan to mount it to the bubble trap baffle that separates the skimmer and return sections of the sump, against the back wall of the sump and facing the intake section. The skimmer requires about 9" of water height, so my baffles are 10.5" tall and the skimmer will sit about 1.5" above the bottom of the tank. The heater, a 100-watt Eheim Jager, will be housed in the skimmer section of the sump, along the back wall. I'm going to go with a Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 (357 GPH) pump as my return pump, as it will provide plenty of flow for the tank and I can adjust the output rate to my liking. My ATO sensor will be set up in the return section, and the top-off water will flow into the skimmer section.

Some of the dimensions have been changed since I drew up this rough design for the sump, as I did not originally account for the thickness of the 1/4" acrylic baffles. Also, I realized that the check valve in my drawing is useless, so I will not be including it in the build. My return bulkhead has also been moved to the return section of the back wall, which will make for easier plumbing and more room in the sump, while also allowing the use of a single return nozzle instead of a Y-fitting, which would just take up space in the display tank. Finally, I had an acrylic cover cut for the sump section, with a 4"x2" cutout so that I can route my cords out of the sump and behind the tank.

As far as powerheads go, I decided on 2 Hydor Koralia Evolution 600s, with the controller module. These 2 pumps, each putting out around 600 GPH, should provide me with enough flow for a tank of this size with the various coral types I'm considering. I'm thinking of attaching them to the back wall of the display tank (so that the cords can be as far out of sight as possible) toward the center and pointing outward, or parallel with the back wall and pointing in opposite directions. I still haven't decided which will work best for my tank and rock work. Any advice is appreciated.

For lighting, I have decided to go with Reefbrite LEDs. I'll be using a blue XHO and a white XHO. I might get dimmers for them later, but for now, I'm just going to put them on timers, with the blue coming on about an hour before the white, then both blue and white running for about 9 hours, and finally 2 more hours of blue light only.

If you guys have any advice or comments on this build, please don't hesitate to let me know! I'm open to suggestions on livestock options, lighting, etc. I greatly appreciate the knowledge and experience that all of you have, and I look forward to hearing from you. My next post will have some nice pictures of the build. Thanks, and happy reefing!

I was able to get in on the tail end of the Petco $1/gallon sale, so I picked up a 40 gallon breeder for $40! For the stand, I went with an Aquatic Fundamentals 50/65 gallon black stand, which I got on sale from Petco, as well. Once the stand arrived in the mail, it took about 20 minutes to fully assemble it. I chose it because it's the perfect height for my chosen location for the tank, and it matches the decor of the room, as you can see. My wife loves it. I also leak tested the tank, and the seams look fine. So far, so good!

2ex6dyo.jpg
alt="">

I went ahead and picked up my rock at Dallas North Aquarium for $1.89/lb. It's nice and porous, and I think it looks great! I picked up about 45 lbs. so I'd have enough to work with... Here's what I came up with:

148m39e.jpg
alt="">

Marc at Melev's Reef is just a short drive away from me, and he kindly offered to cut my acrylic panels for a great price. I also picked up an RO/DI filter from him while I was there. His acrylic work was top-notch, and I highly recommend his services to you guys! There was a slight miscommunication and the panel turned out to be a mirror image of what I designed, but having the overflow on the right of the tank is just as good as having it on the left. :) Here are a few shots of the back wall (with the protective paper still on it) mocked up in the tank:

m9nmh4.jpg
alt="">

2iatv15.jpg
alt="">

Marc did a great job on the overflow teeth. Here's a closeup of them:

mshb1u.jpg
alt="">

Here's a shot of how the baffles look from behind the tank. Everything looks great:

f0101j.jpg
alt="">

Finally, here's a shot of the cover:

2qjbqfc.jpg
alt="">

I know that silicone doesn't bond well to acrylic, so I decided to use E6100 adhesive for this build. E6100 is supposed to provide a good solid bond between glass and acrylic, and it is reef-safe.

I got the acrylic glued in last night. I used painter's tape to keep the seams in the display tank portion neat and tidy. Here's a view from the front:

2pydiqu.jpg
alt="">

It was a real pain working in that tight space in the sump section with all those baffles. Using painter's tape in there was pretty much impossible, and I wasn't able to get a bead on each back edge of the baffles, as I originally intended. Instead, I had to use a caulk nozzle extension to run beads up each side of the baffles and "push" them into the small gap between the acrylic and the glass. To put it quite simply, the display tank seams look nice but the seams in the sump look like crap... No one will be able to see them, though, so that's alright. As long as they hold water relatively well when they're cured, I'll be happy. As far as the display tank seams go, the bottom seam will be covered by my sand bed, while the side seams will be hidden by the black paint that I will be using on the rear 6 inches of the tank to cover the sump. Overall, I think it will look pretty good!

I'm going to let it cure for a week, then leak test it. Hopefully everything will be watertight. However, IF I do have a few small leaks in the baffle seams, I'm assuming that it will be alright because the flow through the sump should be far greater than the leaks, and the water level should remain correct and constant. Is that true? I'd really appreciate some reassurance on this one! :)

It looks great. Thanks for posting it up on DFWMAS. This is a great club, you won't regret joining.

@Marc wrote:
It looks great. Thanks for posting it up on DFWMAS. This is a great club said:
Thanks, Marc. I joined the other day. I'm looking forward to learning more from the group and getting to know everyone! Also, the 10% discount at Dallas North Aquarium is sure going to help me out when I purchase my Reefbrites!

Well, its been about 4 days and I can still smell the adhesive in the tank... All the seams are dry and firm to the touch, and the instructions said to allow 24-72 hours for a full cure, but it's pretty clear to me that this is going to require some more time. I want everything to be cured up by the 1-week mark, which means Saturday. I thought perhaps the fumes were denser than air (and thus not escaping the tank), or maybe the small space in the sump section wasn't allowing adequate airflow, so I decided to rig up a fan on top of the tank to help it along. Here's a picture, as I don't have anything else to share right now (pardon the mess on the bar):

2pre2op.jpg
alt="">

I might paint the sides tomorrow. I've already got them taped off (just past the seams). Once the seams are fully cured, I'll be leak-testing with tap water, and then I'll drain that, dry it out, and add my sand, rock, and saltwater to begin cycling the tank. I'll also be using some BioSpira to hopefully have the tank fully cycled in about 2 or 3 weeks. Once my nitrite levels are at 0, I'm going to add my first fish (probably a clown).

Some aquarium builders have people wait 3 weeks for the silicone to cure, but in this case you are dealing with a divider rather than the actual seal that holds the four walls together. A week should be okay if your home isn't hot and humid.

Welcome to the group and the club....there are many great people out here so dont be afraid to ask for help. I look forward to meeting you at one of the club functions... take a look at all the pictures of all the other builds on the forum as there are some great ideas on here.

Thanks for the welcome, guys! Well, this is Day 6, and all the seams in the tank seem to be completely set up and firm (and have been for some time now), but I can still smell that adhesive odor if I hold my head over the sump section. I'm not sure if that means that it hasn't fully cured, or if it's just the smell of the new adhesive just being in the tank... I'm wondering if the smell would disappear if I filled the tank for leak testing and then drained the water back out. Any thoughts?

Anyway, I got my equipment in yesterday (all except my LED lighting), and I immediately got to work building my translucent screen for the top of the display tank. Here's a shot of the frame after I cut it down to size:

5vc17c.jpg
alt="">

And here it is with the translucent mesh installed. I think it looks pretty good!

2quu3yg.jpg
alt="">

The mesh looks more opaque than it really is. It should not affect my light penetration in any noticeable way. And now I won't have to worry about gobies and other jumpers hopping out of my tank!

Here are a few shots of the new equipment:

23vf7r6.jpg
alt="">

2d15wdj.jpg
alt="">

I've got my 100W Eheim Jager for the tank, a 50W Jager for water changes, a Maxi-Jet 400 (also for water changes), my lignite carbon and high-capacity GFO for the filter section of the sump, my 2 Hydor Koralia Evolution 600 powerheads with the wave controller, the Tunze Osmolator Nano ATO, my Loc Line and flare fitting for the return, a length of tubing and a 90-degree elbow for the return pump, my 1/2" bulkhead, a Red Sea Marine Care test kit, the Tunze Comline DOC 9004 skimmer (with magnets), my Sicce Syncra 1.5 return pump, and some media bags with drawstrings for the carbon and GFO.

Once you rinse it all out, fill it up with water and hook up some type of carbon reactor to pull out any toxins for 48 hours. After that, there's not much more to do, so drain it and set it up with saltwater and get it going.

Where did you get the frame for the clear top....not sure I could use something like that but, Im interested in at least looking at it.

@zaphod1 wrote:
Where did you get the frame for the clear top....not sure I could use something like that but said:
I got it from Bulk Reef Supply. I think you can get the frames from home improvement stores, but finding the 1/4" clear mesh will be difficult. BRS sells it as a kit. You just pick the one for your tank size.

Here is the link: DIY 1/4" Aquarium Screen Top Kit

(If I shouldn't have posted that link, please remove it or just let me know and I'll take it down. Thanks!)

Marc, I like your idea. I still have to build my eggcrate media tower for the tank, but I'll get on that tomorrow and set up a carbon bag in there and run the return pump for 48 hours. Great advice, thanks. I'm starting to just think that the odor is just the result of the adhesive being down there in the tank, and doesn't really indicate that it hasn't fully cured. Part of me does feel a little worried to put water in it already, but maybe I'm just being paranoid.

I'm currently in the process of filling up the tank with RO/DI water so I can run some carbon in it for about 2 days. I have two small, slow leaks: one in each bottom corner, where the adhesive meets the silicone. I figured this would happen, as these two substances don't bond together well, if at all. However, I'm confident that the leaks are slow enough that the flow of water through the sump should make them insignificant. Actually, it's likely that my sand bed will plug up the corners and there may be no leaks at all. I decided to simply hang my bag of carbon in the intake section of the sump by suspending it from a rod placed across the top lip of the tank. This should do until I can fabricate the media "tower". Here's a shot of the tank partially full of water (the black spots near the lower edge are the reflections of my couch cushions on the glass!):

286mux.jpg
alt="">

Once I get it completely full, I'm going to plug in the pump and see how it runs. I should get an idea of how quiet it will be this way. I'm not going to bother with putting the powerheads or skimmer in during this "detox" step, because there's no real point. In the meantime, I'm going to make water, mix in my salt, and get it heating/circulating. In 2 days, I should be able to start putting in my sand bed, rock work, and saltwater to get this thing cycling! It looks like I'm in for another fun shopping trip to the LFS!

As far as lighting is concerned, I'm probably going to go with 2 Reefbrite XHO lights (one white and one blue). I know I want LEDs, and I like the low profile of the tank-mounted XHOs. I was considering a Maxspect Razor, but the tank mounting brackets that come with it set the light about 6.5" off the top of the tank, and that wouldn't fit in my space as well as the XHOs would... I know the Razor is a better light, but I also know that many people use Reefbrites and love them. If I cut the mounting legs for the Razor down to a reasonable size, I likely wouldn't get the proper light coverage for my tank, given the lenses they have on the Razor. I know my wife wouldn't be thrilled about having a light fixture that sits above the edge of the bar the way the Razor would... It's a shame. If any of you know of a reputable LED light that has a low tank-mounted profile (something like 2 or 3 inches off the top of the upper rim of the tank), please let me know! Otherwise, it looks like I'll be a Reefbrite guy!

One more post tonight because I thought this was cool... Here's the way I fill this tank:

a5fg0.jpg
alt="">

The bar makes a perfect place to set my 20-gallon trashcan. Water changes on this bad boy are going to be a breeze! I can siphon out of the tank by placing the can on the floor, and I'll only need to lift about 7 or 8 gallons of water up onto the bar to siphon the new water into the tank. I love it!

I'm really enjoying your documentation. Excellent coverage. You could apply more of the sealant to those corners to stop them entirely. It wouldn't require a full curing again for the extra applied. 24 hours should suffice.

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread and my lengthy posts! This is what happens when I obsess over a project... And it also explains why I'm still awake at 7 in the morning, staring at this tank! Unfortunately, I'm all out of adhesive, so I think I'm just going to let it slide. I'm running the tank now, though, and it's looking great. Sump levels are right where they should be, and very consistent!

I went ahead and installed everything in the tank, just to see how it all fit together, and it seems to be right on track. The return pump is extremely quiet, and the flared return nozzle provides excellent rippling on the surface of the water. The water level ended up being hidden by the top trim, which is exactly what I wanted. The powerheads are also very quiet, although they didn't feel especially strong when I held my hand in front of them in the tank... Given that I'm new to all this, I don't really know what they should feel like, to be honest. However, they do seem to be moving the water around. One thing I noticed that others have mentioned is that they do click when starting up on the wave controller. I know this puts more stress on them, so I'll probably just run them continuously instead. Maybe someday I'll get some awesome Vortechs like you've got, Marc! The skimmer seems fine, but of course it's not going to produce any skimmate from plain old RO/DI water in an empty tank. The magnets hold it in place firmly, and I can easily access the cup to remove it for regular disposal/cleaning. It may be the loudest piece of equipment in the tank, but that isn't saying much, as the entire setup is pretty darn quiet. All you can really hear is the soft calming trickle of water over the overflow teeth while it's running. The water coming over the teeth basically clings to the acrylic wall as it flows down, so I'm starting to doubt the efficacy of a sponge in my intake section. It seems a bit unnecessary, an it probably wouldn't do a whole lot for me... I'll probably leave it out.

Anyway, I tried to take a few pictures, but the quality wasn't that good, so I'll wait for some better light and let you guys see how it looks! My plan for today is to build the media tower so I can remove the chopstick from which my media bag is currently hanging! That will allow me to put the sump cover on and route my cables. I need to find a decent-sized power strip with switches for each outlet so that I can turn off different things for feeding and water changes. If you guys know where I can find one locally, let me know!

You can buy the American DJ strip for $30 at Guitar Center. It has 8 outlets on the back and 8 lighted switches on the front. It's what I use for my reef as well. The only thing you need to be aware of is the strip has a 15 amp limit.

dj_switches-4.jpg
alt="">