Cliff/Spar's 450g in-wall tank project

Spar

Premium Member
Well, the wall is down and the tank is ordered, so no turning back now! [smilie=clapping.gif]

Basic spec's of the tank and stand will be:
-450g - 96"x36"x30"
-Starphire front pane glass
-Double-bottom eurobrace trimless
-External calfo overflows on both the sides of the tank
-Powdercoated steel support stand, 41" tall

Have not completely spec'ed out the equipment yet, but will update over time.

Basically, the plan is to knock down a wall that was intended to be for separation of the laundry room from one of our living rooms. The laundry room will no longer be called a laundry room and rather be a fish-room now [smilie=smile.gif]; the laundry room has now been moved to the garage and work done to put in new ducts, etc, for that. I had 3 new dedicated 20 amp circuits added to the room, should be enough if not overboard a bit.

Below are some pictures of the transition!

The wall... this was from a picture I took when looking at houses to buy, not my furniture. This in-wall tank project was part of the plan when looking for a house, and found this one to be pretty much perfect (knowing a bit of elbow grease would be necessary of course):
01-WalloriginalviewLarge.jpg
alt="">

The original look of the laundry room. About 6 feet wide. It is double-entry style with doors that swing inwards, an obvious necessary correction down the road.
02-LaundryroomoriginalLarge.jpg
alt="">

View from the rest of the house of that wall, just for perspective purposes... not really a great pic but worth posting anyway :)
03-ViewfromfurtherbackangleoriginalLarge.jpg
alt="">

We didn't like the white carpet in the house so decided to switch out with hardwood flooring, stained dark, and go with tile in the fish room, so first step = rip out the flooring:
04-RipoutflooringinfrontofwallLarge.jpg
alt="">

05-Ripoutflooringinfish-roomLarge.jpg
alt="">

Wall comes down! Flooring in living room put in (staining has not occurred yet so appears light in color for now), tile hasn't been put in yet. First issue we had to deal with was that the wall was a load-bearing wall, so had to have a structural engineer put in support beams... pain, but no real choice in the matter unless we wanted out upstairs to crash down on us! They wrote my address really big across the beams for some reason so I blacked it out in photo editor :) Also notice that I had the sink ripped out and will be putting in a smaller one; I realized that I would be quite crammed back there with the 36" width of the tank, and the sink was the main hindrance to giving me enough space. The doors have now been reversed to open outward instead of inward as well.
06-HardwoodfloorinandwalldownLarge.jpg
alt="">

Closer up view of the wood-work. As above with the sink, I needed more space back there in that room to not feel closed-in while working on it, so opted to pull the tank out about an extra 10" from where the wall would normally look flush with the in-wall tank (once put in). So we will now be building the new dry-wall out a little and then flush with the tank. The cut-out area as mentioned above will be tile soon, the tank will sit on the tile to the point of looking pretty much exact/near-enough flush with the hardwood floor in front of it.
07-Closeruplookatthewoodcut-outLarge.jpg
alt="">

The laundry room had no ventilation other than where the dryer vented to, so needed to put in a vent on the ceiling to get out the humidity and pull fresh air into the room. There was originally a light-strip up on the ceiling but we removed that and opted for 2 lamps (probably a more technical term) up there instead. Thinking of going with a 140 CFM / 2 Sonar fan, running near 24/7. Notice in the picture the 4-slot power port... not really what I had intended, but the electricians put them up there at about 9 feet high! Oh well, will be nice for the lights I suppose... or will figure something out. There is one on both sides of the wall. Each with a dedicated 20 amp circuit.
08-CeilingworkprogressLarge.jpg
alt="">

So, that is where I am out as of today 9/25/2010. Work on the fish-room will go on over the next 2-3 weeks and the tank and stand should be ready in 4-5 weeks, so expecting to get going on getting the tank flowing by end of October!

I welcome any questions and comments on my plans, especially any war stories that anyone has to offer for me to expect as potential issues down the road. Will be much easier to fix things now prior to the tank getting in and installed!

Wow! Nice. Can't wait to see the finished project. May I ask who is building the tank for you?

Cliff, this looks like a fun project. When are we all invited over to see the progress?

96gts, I am going through Neptune's Cove in Plano and they are using AGE [note was incorrectly stated as DAP in my first response to this] to do the tank.

Drew, you are welcome at any time :) Nearly our entire house is getting renovated at the moment so is a bit of chaos right now. But if anyone wants to see it while all the 'guts' of the room are showing just let me know!

Hey Spar, Guess who [smilie=devil.gif]

I upgraded my flow and we are planning the 10x3x2. Will be a while though. [smilie=nerd.gif]

@chromus wrote:
Hey Spar said:
Haha, good to have you on board here... although you are most definitely the furthest person away from Dallas / Fort Worth of any person on this forum [smilie=smile.gif]

Cliff, I would love to come by and see the making of your 450 gallon. I reside in Plano and I am building a 500 gallon (although very slow). I would love to see what you came up with as far as pump, flow, lights, etc. I'm still a little unsure of what lights and pump I will go with...let me know if I can swing by some time to check out your build.

Rodney

@My Exotic Fish & Corals wrote:
Cliff said:
No problem Rodney. The tank will be in on or around November 1st, so should have most of the build completed by mid-November. I will keep updating this blog as well in the mean time. I am still in the process of getting the fish room finalized with all the electricals and AC, vent, etc. Getting there slowly :)

So Cliff, 20 power points for your lights..... going to be awesome! [smilie=rofl.gif]

I think I have worked out a suitable schedule, but I am so glad you have to program the timers and not me. [smilie=devil.gif]

Let me know when you pay for them and I'll make sure the supplier expedites the build for you. [smilie=wink.gif]

I will send you a pm here soon to see all of what you have done. I am presently in a "holding" pattern as I am unsure of which direction I actually want to go in...should i get a vent; should i drill a hole in the wall leading to the outside to use as a drain...etc. So seeing yours before your tank goes in would be beneficial to me.

Thanks,

Rodney

Hey Cliff, where are the pics? I know you have your rock, and your LEDs will arrive any time, so come on play nice and make with the pics already. [smilie=punch.gif]

@My Exotic Fish & Corals wrote:
I will send you a pm here soon to see all of what you have done. I am presently in a "holding" pattern as I am unsure of which direction I actually want to go in...should i get a vent; should i drill a hole in the wall leading to the outside to use as a drain...etc. So seeing yours before your tank goes in would be beneficial to me. Thanks said:
Rodney, all my home renovations should be done this week, so if you wanted to hop on by this weekend just send me a PM. Looks like what you are doing is exactly like what I am, including the holes in the wall for drain and water-feed lines to be added. For space reasons, I had to move my RO/DI unit into the garage along with my 100g storage container, but luckily the fish room wall leads to the garage :)

Phil, good point! Given I was in Germany the last couple weeks I completely forgot to keep taking pictures of progress. I am kicked out of the house the next couple days while flooring is stained, but shortly after, pictures are well due :)

Cliff, I will be around on Saturday...will that be a good day to swing by? I am also in the process of helping someone set up a custom build 650 gallon tank as well that I would love to get some ideas for. I will PM you as well.

Rodney

Update on the progress! Stand is in and the tank will be in on Tuesday! So pumped! Have all the RO/DI water made, rock is cycled, etc.

And of course, pictures:

RO Unit - 6 stage (Sediment --> 2x Chloramine Buster --> 150g/day RO --> 2x DI), bucket is 100 gallons
09-ROUnitsetupLarge.jpg
alt="">

Live Rock - 600 pounds of dry rock ordered from Marco Rocks - most are pretty decent in size, highly recommend getting this! Cycled in 2 150g rubbermaid bins for the past 6 to 8 weeks (lost track)
10-LiveRocksetupLarge.jpg
alt="">

LED lights!!! I ordered 4 of these units, each 200watts, with 120w of white and 80w of blue. Each with independent plugs.
11-LEDpanelviewLarge.jpg
alt="">

12-LED1striponLarge.jpg
alt="">

13-LEDtopfansLarge.jpg
alt="">

The stand! Now some of you may be asking the obvious, "Cliff, why is the stand in the garage rather than in the fish room where it is supposed to be?!". Valid question, and this can be answered by a simple equation... 36 > 32. Yes, I indeed failed to consider the smallest side of the stand when measuring door ways to make sure the tank would fit, and with a stand that is 40" high, i am no longer only restricted by the 30" height of the tank... ah but would a hobby be without the headaches :) So I had 'Luck of the draw' (member on the forum) come out and knock out the door frame, and we easily made it through :)
14-StandingarageLarge.jpg
alt="">

Stand once in the fish room... this stand is larger than their crates... i am sure they are thinking this is very unfair!
15-StandinfishroomLarge.jpg
alt="">

Just need a tank and water now :)
16-FishroomwithstandLarge.jpg
alt="">

Looking great Cliff, I will be waiting to see the pics when the glass goes in.

Truffles and Spar look like they are a little confused by it all.

Can't believe the repeat performance on the "oh *&%$ it doesn't fit". [smilie=rofl.gif]

I spoke with the LED supplier, he is eagerly awaiting to see your tank lit.

Cliff maybe you can use this for the auto water changer we were discussing the other day

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1938900