Cliff/Spar's 450g in-wall tank project

@Marc wrote:
What is that single item outside the sump? An Ozone filter? Does water flow through it? It may be better to put that somewhere in the sump in case it leaks. Did the skimmer stand work out? said:
Yes, it is for Ozone. Problem with in-sump is that it is pressurized to not allow water to build up in it, so the containers would float. I could put them on a tall stand though! And I know someone who builds acrylic stands [smilie=wink.gif] Let me do some measuring and will hit you up for that idea. There are plenty of tubes that could potentially leak.

The skimmer stand is working great! Getting a lot of skim lately. Glad I did that upgrade.

A stand is fine. And an effluent box to replace your high-tech solution. hehe

Good to see that all of those messenger conversations at 2am my time are paying off.....

Give Truffles n Phil some scritches from me...

@chromus wrote:
Good to see that all of those messenger conversations at 2am my time are paying off..... Give Truffles n Phil some scritches from me... said:
True Aussies never sleep anyway [smilie=smirk.gif]

Cliff,

I'm way late to the party here, but everything looks like it is comming along great! Did Marc get any PVC cement on your granite counter tops? He likes to do that.

Ryan

Hey Cliff, it's time to share your tank with us again.

Ya, I am always behind on doing this! Spend so much time 'behind the scenes' I even forget to admire it myself from time to time!

I did put up a webcam, can check it out:
cbporter52.dyndns.org:88
Login: Fish
Password: Fish

More updates to come!

Alright, finally got out the camera! I'm trying to recall what I have changed since my last update... but think it really just comes down to that I recently stopped doing GFO and Carbon (as frequently). I also downgraded my QT sizes to a 10g for Non-Fish and either 10g or 20g for Fish (depending on type/size).

Below are some tank shots... i do have a black backdrop that I put up today to take some pictures (where you can't see the fish room in the back through the tank), but I caused a sand storm just prior to taking pictures... so these will have to do for now! (... needed to say this because I KNOW Phil (the Aussie guy) will make a comment anyway/regardless!... [smilie=devil.gif] )

All of this growth is almost exactly 1 year old. Made a ton of changes 1 to 1.5 years ago to finally give a coral a fighting chance, seem to have had success on most coral types.

%255BRS%255DReef-Feb2014-072.JPG
alt="">

%255BRS%255DReef-Feb2014-068.JPG
alt="">

%255BRS%255DReef-Feb2014-138.JPG
alt="">

%255BRS%255DReef-Feb2014-148.JPG
alt="">

%255BRS%255DReef-Feb2014-026.JPG
alt="">

%255BRS%255DReef-Feb2014-218.JPG
alt="">

%255BRS%255DReef-Feb2014-011.JPG
alt="">

%255BRS%255DReef-Feb2014-230.JPG
alt="">

%255BRS%255DReef-Feb2014-122.JPG
alt="">

%255BRS%255DReef-Feb2014-093.JPG
alt="">

Cliff, it looks great! I've been wondering how it is all going, how the plumbing worked out, and if the sumps cooperated with your plans. Any changes you discovered were necessary?

@Marc wrote:
Cliff said:
Has been running great, no changes necessary. I am currently not using the spray bar that was to be used on Carbon, GFO, BP, Skimmer, Ozone and Ca Rx, as I stopped using all that stuff except for skimmer (that doesn't use water from the bar)... really have gone back to the bare basics on this tank. I am really glad that you talked me into still adding the dosing chambers into my RO and SW reservoir container, as have started 2-part again.

Only issue I have had was with one of my Dart pumps having a leak form around its seal and got worse quick... as Murphy's Law would predict, a big leak happened the morning of Christmas when all my family came over [smilie=punch.gif] Got the pump fixed up now though.

I have started to get a lot of micro bubbles that I need to work out. I can't tell where they are coming from. Maybe if you are in the Plano area in the near future I will get you to come out to see if there are any tweaks I can do to knock that issue out. Seems to be a new issue, not sure why it just started happening.

Nice monti Cliff. Will tease u with pics of my blue in a few weeks. said:
Thanks! I love that coral, such a bright orange'ish red color. I recently fragged a few chunks out and put that coral in 4 new spots in the tank.

Show me your blue! I need to find me some of that.

Take a flashlight to the return zone. If it is bubble free, the problem is going to be in the pump or on the way back up to the tank. You said you had to change out the pump (or flx the seals) so maybe something isn't tightly screwed down like a union. Or a union is missing an o-ring? Make sure the strainer baskets are clean and not creating a restriction due to obstructions.

The cause seems to be my other Dart pump... leaking also; and to top it off the seal on the one I replaced before didn't hold up completely and am getting a little salt creep on the spinning rod. Frustrating that I got 2 bad pumps on what is supposed to be such a high quality product. I just emailed the company to see what they will do warranty wise. I requested new pumps to trade out, will see if they will do that rather than just asking me to redo the seals yet again.

But in good news, since you set my dual-pump system to be able to utilize just one pump in an emergency, all is stable :) Just running on one engine, but will be around to keep an eye on it.

The seals are the biggest problem with those pumps, but honestly they are great pumps. That's their achilles heel, and what we have to deal with from time to time.