*check your RO water*

friendly reminder...

during many season changes, a lot of cities have ammonia in their water (not the greatest thing to add during a water change). I checked the Dallas city water the other day and OMG sooo much ammonia! Amquel and other water conditioners will remove it.

good luck!

No, if ammonia levels are high, it will pass right through the membrane. Cathy can attest to that, TWICE.

If you have an ammonia kit, test your RO and RO/DI water to make sure it is registering 0.

makes you wonder about that expensive bottled city water you buy under the name "Dasani"

Also makes me wonder the limits of what "is" and "isn't" safe.

Maybe I should try water from Mexico?

This is why I got a chloramine filter setup added to my ro/di unit. It takes out excess chlorine and ammonia that the cities sometime put in the water.
M01A0536.jpg
alt="">

I just checked mine yesterday as I was refilling my top-off reservoir and at least in Frisco, we've got 0 ppm ammonia.

Related question - even if some ammonia did make it into the tank, shouldn't the nitrifying bacteria take care of it? Or would it be an issue of load, i.e., would the bacteria be able to convert it quickly enough before the livestock gets affected?

from what i have read isnt the second stage of a 5 stage usually an activated carbon cartridge not a coconut block which removes cloramine? Should take care of it but i did check my water and nothing in sherman but could be the activated carbon removing it.

Chris - do you know if we can add chloramine filter to existing RO setup, or if we need a new setup? I too thought about chloramine used to treat waste water now aday.

I believe you can add a chloramin filter... just contact an RO dealer and ask. it shouldn't be much - just a new chamber (i'm not an RO expert lol)

yes the bacteria in the tank will remove the ammonia... but if you do a large water change (>30%) or have a small tank - the tank might have cycle all over again. For the most people it's not a big deal... it's just the people that are changing large amounts of water (or need to put their animals into holding with freshly made water)