Cheapest frag tank possible?

Oscarmk

Premium Member
I am not really trying to start a frag tank, as I just don't want to be maintaining 2 tanks. However I do want to keep my DT free of pests and my fish free of diseases such as ich (yes I know chances of this are really really low but just in case). Anyway here is what I have though so far for my mini temporary frag tank. The idea is that I am going to do a single large order of small-medium coral pieces for my 75g and then just let it grow, and never again add anything else, or at least that's the objective might be hard to do [smilie=lol.gif]

I intent to quarantine all those corals for 4 weeks while dipping them. I was thinking a long 5 gallon would be sufficient, I have some lighting I can use, and then I was even thinking I have a little too much rock on my display (and some of those corals will already come in a rock) so maybe just drop a piece there for the bacteria, get a koralia powerhead maybe a nano 240 and call it a day?. I have a heater I can use too. Would that be enough, or am I missing anything else?, seems like this should be all but wanted to get people's opinions, I want to get a very shallow large tank, or if not even a plastic container will do :).

What do you guys think?, missing anything? bad idea?. Again this would only be for about 4 weeks.

If you have certain corals/colors you are wanting then a single order will probably be impossible. If you don't care then someone like Aqua SD could probably hook you up. Depending on what corals you are planning to get, a 5 gallon may be too small. Some LPS can put out very long sweepers. I would look at doing some kind of larger plastic container.

Thanks, I didn't know about Aqua SD, how is their quality compared to liveaquaria?. I will try to adjust to what they have in stock, but I mostly want just a cople medium sized zoa rocks, a yellow leather, a toadstoll and a hammer, a blue/stripped candy cane, red and purple montipora and a green birds nest. That's about it, I already have 10 other frags/rock in the tank.

I think that should fit in a 10g long?, does that exist? I might just have to get the 20g long, I just didn't want it taking too much space in my home office where my 75 is.

Here's a link to Aqua SD's sale last weekend. http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/7-9-16-asd-weekend-update-special-collection-colonies-frags-and-new-releases.256461/
It will give you some idea of what they have to offer. They always throw in a few extras with each order too.

I've only ordered from Aqua SD once but their stuff was top notch and well packed. They seem to have good prices and their package deals are really good deals. He has a lot of stuff in grow out so I would just contact him with your list and see what all he has. The yellow leather might be the hardest item to find, I don't see them too often. I've never seen a 10 long but they probably exist. You might drop by DNA and see what they have out. They usually have a good selection of smaller tanks. I would be worried about the sweepers on the lps corals. I believe candy canes can put out some long sweepers.

Thanks, I'll check them out. I have been looking for a refular 12g long aquarium online, but a of them are cubes or the fancy office type. I just want a cheap one, Ill call DNA tomorrow.

About the candy canes, I have green ones right now, the tentacles are very small less than 1/2 inch. I do know know hammers and toads have much longer sweeper I think like 4 inches, but they only go up, so i think if I just place al of them in the same horizontal plane it will be fine.

Petco has their tanks on sale for $1 per gallon, your 20 long would cost you $20 plus tax....I just picked up a 20 tall for a hospital tank.

@reeferjim wrote:
Petco has their tanks on sale for $1 per gallon said:
Thanks, decided to just pick up a 10g, as I didn't wanna have to place it in the floor, and I wasnt confident placing a 20g on a regular non-aquarium built table, but the 10g sounds fine. I think it should be enough.