buying a big tank?

You wouldn't need all of the pvc that they have. What are they asking for it? What condition is the inside of the stand?
-Chuck

Looks like they could of possibly had some leaks on the bottom of this tank. Looks like they got multiple layers of glass on the bottom. I have only seen this done with tanks that have leaked.

@extinguishfire wrote:
Looks like they could of possibly had some leaks on the bottom of this tank. Looks like they got multiple layers of glass on the bottom. I have only seen this done with tanks that have leaked. said:
Maybe not, GlassCages reinforces their tank bottoms with a strip like that (presuming it is only trim around the edge and not a complete sheet).

Could also be a plastic bottom- I've seen them on some tanks that are meant to be BB. No rock falls breaking the bottom glass.

Glasscages builds tanks that way. The extra glass is just reinforcement due to length and height of the front and back sides. If it is built properly (too hard to tell from the pics) I would go as much as $700 just for the tank.

The holes drilled in the tank are nothing to worry about as long as you take a couple of precautions first. Make sure the holes are smooth around the inside and outside edges. When the holes are drilled, the glass can tend to chip around where the drilling starts and when it comes out the other side. If that happens, you just need to sand the edges smooth so that a crack can't start from the chip. Also, install the bulkheads properly. If you are not certain on how to do this then just ask and we'll get you taken care of :wink: .

What all comes with the setup?

Make sure you get a good look at the silicone seems. You don't want to see big air bubbles inbetween where the glass comes together. The seems should be clear.

If everything is in good order, I would think that is a great price. Go check it out in person. I see another, "need help moving this honkin' tank" thread coming soon!

-Chuck

Ya assuming no leaks and it hasn't been sitting empty for months (which causes issues with the silicone) then 650 is a great deal on a tank that size!

20vturbo, try to get someone to go with you to examine the tank. Two sets of eyes are better then one. It only takes a small defect to cause major trouble.

Looking closer at the original pictures you posted, I'm wondering why the tank seems to have 2 glass strips stacked at the bottom. I can understand 1 strip for the extra strength, but 2 makes me wonder :?: .

The pictures don't show any sign of styrofoam between the tank and the stand :shock: . Be careful.

If the tank is in Houston, I would pass on the tank. There is always someone on this forum that will be selling a large tank. Not sure if it is worth the trip.

The tank looks good and i would not worry about the glass strips on the bottom as long as it is like what glass cages has. I do agree with some, the stand and canopy will need to be redone. If you are good with woodworking and can refinish the stand (rebuild) and canopy then it seems fair to me. It does look as if there was some leakage of some sort.

Before you buy it, make sure they have it filled up with water. Inspect all seams with a papertowell and make sure nothing leaks. Take a mag12 pump with you to drain the water, should not take longer than 10 min to suck all that water out with a mag 12. Good luck, coming from someone who just moved the 300 from lubbock, i would NEVER do it again....i live and learn. Just think if you bought the tank for 650, spend 200 in gas and 10 hours on the road...you are already at 850. By the time you refinish stand and canopy 2-300 and add lights 5-600 you are at 16-1700. It all adds up quick. Look around for local tanks with all of the goodies, they pop up before you know it.