bryopsis algae

Lance

Membership Expired
OK all I wanted to write a bit about this nasty algae as I have been fighting it for over a year now.

I noticed it last January 2011 and start ready on how to get rid of it. I searched and asked and read on how to get rid of this stuff and everything pointed to Kent Tech M. Well I bought 2 half gallons last year and dosed as it said. It started fading and I had my Mag up to 1800. It never went away and I even at one time pulled out 1/4 of a 5g bucket of this out of the 90g tank I have in my living room. I also found out my PO4 was high and changed filters and even got water from a LFS (which was even higher than I had here in Wylie). I kept the Mg up at 1800 and it kept growing.

I felt defeated and just dealt with it and then I started reading more on the Kent Tech M and there seems to be two types of it out there. I ordered another 2 x 1/2g jugs in February and started dosing again and I noticed that the Mg had more grey in the color. Come to find out this is the more potent batch that I had read about. I bumped my Mg up to 2000 this time and with in a week it is all gone. I did more it slow like the instructions said and I do have to say that any SPS that are green in your tank with start to glow bright green as they seem to love this stuff.

I also made sure my Alk was at the top end at 10 Kh. I am not sure if it really matters but having it high and also the Mg high it has wiped it out. It took about 3 days for it to disappear. I do have to say that I did have to clean my skimmer overflow in these days as well as I usually dump it once a week. I was also running it wetter than usual.

One other thing if you have this is to watch your macro that you have in your sump. I have Feather Caulerpa in the sump and it was turning it yellow and so I have been pulling it out as it dies off. I have not noticed any ill effects on Cheato or Grape I have that in the 90g in the office and it is doing fine. Oh yea when my tank was crashing I moved a lot of the corals that had not dies over to the other tank to try and save them. In the process this tank was also infested with the bryopsis and now it is also clear.

I will post some pictures of the tank before the outbreak, during the battle and the after results so that you can see how bad this stuff can be.

Thanks for reading and hope this helps someone else who might have this that there is a winning chance at defeating this stuff.

Looks much better - glad you were able to conquer that weed.

Thanks all and I just hate that I lost so much during the battle. My nen is the biggest thing that gets me every time I look at that FTS other than the bi color catpaw I had. Time to start all new again [smilie=cool.gif]