Brian Palmers 230 Rimless Tank Thread!

You live close to me so dibs on coming over to help build....LOL!!! Where did you get that light....wonder how dangerous the UV setting is as it can really damage eyes....and I have other pets besides fish....I know fish are the only pet but, I like to take my walks and fish just dont fit the bill.

I got it off ebay . They call it UV but it's really 410nm. :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291022539724?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
I'm more worried it might be too powerful.. hehe.. If So I'll put it on a dimmer.

@Jzilla wrote:
So are you going to remove the center brace? said:
Probably not. At least not any time soon. I may get a professional opinion at some point but for now I'll just deal with it. If I borrow the PAR meter I'll post results. It's mostly a matter of working around it for maintenance.

I came home to this today:
[attachment=1]Centerbrace1.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]centerbrace2.jpg[/attachment]
The center brace failed. I came home and it had fallen down into the tank. Glass was bowing out.
This was a new tank made by a local..

For now I have a clamp brace on it until I figure out what to do. It was made with 1/2 inch glass so it needs a some sort of bracing. Looking back I simply should have known this tank needed to be thicker glass.. but I'm not a tank builder.
I may see if Planet can come in and do some eurobracing.

That sucks man. Sorry to hear this. Whoever built that tank should repair it for free. You have options, but right now all of them suck.

I would 'sudo eurobrace' the tank by getting some 1/2 inch glass cut that is 2 inches wide and as long as the interior length of the tank and silicon that onto the front and back of the tank but the center brace down by 4 inches and add it back between the braces. I am not a tank builder so your mileage may very..

[smilie=puke.gif] <<<<
<hr class="bbcode_rule" />
Me if I walked in on that. Good luck with the solution!!

@titusmaul wrote:
I would 'sudo eurobrace' the tank by getting some 1/2 inch glass cut that is 2 inches wide and as long as the interior length of the tank and silicon that onto the front and back of the tank but the center brace down by 4 inches and add it back between the braces. I am not a tank builder so your mileage may very.. said:
Do you think it can be done without draining the whole tank?
I went out and got two more of those long braces.. Seems to serve the same purpose as the glass brace. I may just leave it and get a professional opinion but it actually doesn't bother me as much as the old big glass brace. Light comes through bettter and easier to clean. :)

General update:

Well.. Someone Pmd me a number to get through to Planet last week. Waiting to hear back from them to see if they can repair this thing. I'm not sure if they're going to call me. If I have to do a complete tear down I may just go ahead and get a whole new tank.

Anyway at least it seems stable for now I have some brace clamps on it that seem to be doing the same thing the glass brace was. I actually don't mind them compared to the giant glass brace as they let a lot of light in.
I was in the process of hooking up my calcium reactor. Got that hooked up. My first calcium reactor and so far so good. PH was about 8.2/8.3 Morn Eve. Now I'm getting about 8.12/8.18. Not too shabby I'm sure the dual chamber helps. I'm loving not having to mix a bunch of additives.
Went with the Reef Octopus CR5000D... Dual chamber with the Aquarium plants Carbon Doser regulator. Super easy to set up and tune. It only took me about 3 days to get it tuned thanks to the hanna checker. With the checker you can do more tests per day and notice a reliable drop or gain in alk. The reactor is top notch quality. Only had a couple of minor seepage leaks.. just needed to reseat a seal and tight a fitting. Pump seems like it puts out an audible hum but I forgot to think ahead for that and put a piece of rubber down.. Not going to empty it just for that so I will have to wait on a big maintenance day.
Dosed some Prodibio Digest and Tim.. 3 days later the water is the clearest I've seen and a little Dino I had appears to be gone. I did change GFO and water change about the same time so all three seemed to make things perk up. My refugium is still not that mature so I'm running through the GFO a little more than normal.

Corals are starting to grow faster lately I think I let my alk and mag get too low for a while. Bumped that up a bit.. seemed to do the trick. Also trying to fine tune my GFO replacement schedule.. PO4 got up to .05 and some filamentous algae moved in...
[attachment=2]SAM_2780.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]SAM_2784.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]SAM_2785.jpg[/attachment]

What about the local that built the tank? Have they offered and options to fix the tank?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

your not going to like this but the only way to fix that issue is with euro bracing and a dry tank....that center brace didnt stand a chance as there was nothing stopping it from being pulled apart from the weight of the water against the glass.
I think a totally new tank is in order and the builder of that one to issue a full refund....they can repair it on their time.

Ok, I talked to Planet today.
I may be able to get away with a partial drain. As long as I get the water pretty low he said what I could do is set up a canister filter and even leave the fish in. It would take about 3 days cure time. He didn't say how low exactly but as long as we get most of the pressure off. So they'll probably do a eurobrace with two cross braces.
I was pretty happy to hear that . I've never run a canister filter so reading up on that. I see there are some on craigslist so looking around.

@Jzilla wrote:
What about the local that built the tank? Have they offered and options to fix the tank? Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2 said:
He probably would. He asked me if I wanted him to fix it but I just haven't followed up with him.

@Blue Water wrote:
Ok said:
Update on the refugium light. It does not seem to be growing my chaeto very well. I'm going back to a CFL for now.
That was a pretty expensive experiment. hehe Guess I'll find out if it was the light or not.
Cheers [smilie=smile.gif]

I use a led floodlight. its like 3200k according to the packaging. it grows cheato very well even though its a very warm colored light.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

@Heath wrote:
I use a led floodlight. its like 3200k according to the packaging. it grows cheato very well even though its a very warm colored light. Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2 said:
I had one on mine just like heath grew awesome...

WHAT DOES THE FISH SAY!