Brian Palmers 230 Rimless Tank Thread!

Looks great. For the gap, why not shim it or place felt strips between tank and stand? Seems too much work for such a small gap, besides, the tank will settle once water is in it.

~Matt

That might work Matt. Being a 1/2" glass rimless it worries me. So that I feel better I'm going to start by cutting a couple 2x4s that support that corner. Make them slightly bigger and see if it raises that corner to fill the gap .. if that doesn't work I may put long shims under the plywood. Thanks.

That should fix it. Just keep a level on it while you are screwing it down as a reference point.
Following along. Looks like a nice build! Really like the tank and good work on the sump.

Thanks Hoops!
Update.
Got the stand level. Leak test pass... running fresh water for a few days now.
Sorta forgot to drill a siphon break on my return line and had a small flood inside the stand.. the shower pan liner has already done it's job. We were eating dinner and the wife said what's that noise?

Bean animal installed but I still have some tweaking to do there. It is amazingly quiet but I can't get the siphon to start on it's own. I have a valve on top to get some air in it to start it but I think the fitting I put on it is letting a tiny amount of air in after I close it. Even with that it is by far quieter than my old tank. The reef octopus DC-5500 is completely silent. It makes the Red Dragon right next to it seem noisy and it's a super quiet pump. You only hear the Reef Octopus pump when you put your head inside the stand.
I have 3 Vortechs and they are a little noisy. I'll see if I can tweak them in the coming weeks and decide if I'll try the Tunzes or not.

Found some doors for the front. Held on with magnets from Harbor Freight. The doors are from IKEA I think $43 each. They don't make them big enough for the sides though so I am still going to make them myself. Probably go for a faux concrete on the sides.
Installed my 6 Stage RO/DI and making water.
Playing around with some aquascaping.. that's probably the most frustrating part.
My light arrived today...went with the ATI Sunpower 8X80W.
[attachment=0]tankdoors.jpg[/attachment]

Looking great Brian! I have to say that when my wife says "whats that noise" i know we have a water issue. Glad it was something as simple as a siphon break. Coming along nicely.

Started my cycle today.
My light arrived. Went with an ATI 8X80W Sunpower. Fans seem a little noisy but I think I'm going to like the colors.. no shimmer though :(
Almost went LED but I think I'm going to sit back and watch it evolve a little more.
Aquascaping is done.. somewhat minmalist. I was going more for good places to place coral rather than good looking rocks. [smilie=smile.gif]
Used some acrylic rod and some zip ties.
My last tank had some great looking aquascaping but it was hard to find places for corals.
Here there are some good caves and overhangs for low light corals and protected areas for lower flow corals.
Fired up the skimmer and within 10-15 minutes it was pulling out some gunk(rock dust) and I haven't even tried to adjust it. I have a feeling I'm going to like this skimmer some serious bubbles and nearly silent.

I got my side doors on. Just painted grey for now but still thinking about the faux concrete.. need to practice on some scrap first.
They are hanging on with magnets but actually sit on a thin piece of wood. The magnet just keeps them from falling over basically.

Skimmer doing its thang.[attachment=1]IMG_0934.jpg[/attachment]

Been animal. I haven't finished it completely. Still need to cut off the siphon pipe as I think it sits too far in the water. When restarting I have to burp the main siphon. Otherwise it is super quiet.[attachment=0]IMG_0913.jpg[/attachment]

Ok. I got 3 fire fish and one mysteriously did not survive the acclimation. The other two seem to be doing well.. Clean up crew arrived today.
This weeks project was to organize my birdnest of wires and cables.
[attachment=2]IMG_0974.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]IMG_0976.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]IMG_0977.jpg[/attachment]

Thanks it's just a couple pieces of pine from home depot with a piece of plywood for front and back. Got a magnet thingy to hold it closed. There is no top or bottom to let heat out the top.
Part of the design was learn as you go... hehe. Had to take a piece off to fit the energy bar since the cables would stick out too far for door to close. Too bad the cord on the vortechs aren't a little longer.. Had to mount one on the other side of the tank. Just wanted to get things away from any salt creep.

Ok, Got a new fuge light. We will see how it goes.
Has 9 bands, Red, orange, blue , whites , UV and IR. [smilie=smile.gif]
[attachment=1]SAM_2734.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]SAM_2735.jpg[/attachment]