Blue light special?

chriscurtis

Premium Member
Is it just me or is anyone else bothered by the trend to post pictures of corals/reef tanks with just the blue lights on? I only run my blues alone for a couple of hours a day so most of the time the whites predominate and that's what I want to see before I buy. But online and at recent frag swaps and coral shows the vendors almost exclusively have only blue lights on and quite a few couldn't even turn on the whites when I requested.

Now I know a lot of corals are a LOT more colorful under just the blues but I'm not going to buy a coral that's only colorful under blues. That being said, if I'm selling a coral I'll probably show a blue shot but will always have a full spectrum picture as well. OK, rant over. Let me know if I'm not alone.

I ask vendors to show me the coral under white light as well before I'll commit to buy.

I prefer to see them under blue, that is how I view them most of the time at home. I believe that is one of the major reasons there has been such an increase of hobbyist over the last 5 or so years. My issue is with online vendors putting up pictures with colors you will never get.

A lot of times it has to do with the camera and user skills. Taking pictures under LED's is not my strongest skill. My lights are set at 95% Blue and 80% White, and I still get a lot of blue in the pictures.