Aquarium is REALLY Cloudy.... over dosed on No3Po4-x?

Joe

Membership Expired
Last night I used?No3Po4-x ?for the first time. my nitrates have been running a little high. I thought I put in the right amount, but now my tank is really cloudy. I'll add pictures.I did a small water change (3g).... got a little better, but now it is worse.??Found the only open store and got some RODI water. Mixing in salt now to do a 10g water change.?Thoughts? Would love any input or help.... Worried about my fish.?View attachment 609?

I have never used that stuff before but I think your fish should be ok. Definitely do the water change and monitor. You might need to do a few water changes every other day until clear again. Are you running filter socks or skimmer?

Thanks, Chris I have a HOB filter and I added a protein about a week ago.?How big of water changes do you think I should keep doing over the next few days???Thanks!

I would do your 10 gallon change and if it doesn't improve in a couple days do like 20-25% change every other day. Keep that skimmer going too.

How much did you dose in ml and how many gallons is your system? ?If it is in fact a matter of adding too much nopox, you need to add air stones and increase surface agitation. ?Too much nopox can significantly decrease O2 levels and cause your inhabitants to basically suffocate. ?

Hi Mike,I filled the container up to?the 3 on the front, which looks like about 40ml. Since the instructions said 3 for very 25g, I did this twice. I have a 55g tank...... ?I have a fear I miss read these directions.?View attachment 618

So you basically dosed 80ml when you should have dosed only 6 ml maximum. ?I'd get the fish out of there asap. I'm certain they're struggling to breathe. ? Where do you live? ?I can keep them in my QT system for you until you can get the water in your 55 back to normal. ?Feel free to call or text me at 940-536-5208.

Oh wow that is a lot! Do you have another small tank to use to put them in for awhile? Hope they are doing OK.

Yeah, I spoke to Mike on the phone last night and instead of doing a water change I ended up setting up a little Lifeboat in my 20 gallon barrel that I was using to mix saltwater.?As of this morning it appeared that everyone was still alive and we only have one snail who is unaccounted for. Walking into the local fish store right now to get some more water and see if I can resurrect my tank..... prayers appreciated....??I really appreciate both of you guys helping me out on this and I signed up to be a member before I went to bed! Feel like I've already gotten my $25 worth. :)

Glad to help. ?Sharing information/advice and lending a hand in time of need is the foundation of this club IMO. ?Reefers gotta stick together! ????Glad to hear the fish are still hanging in there. ?Let us know if we can help in any way.

?[Got a question for you guys. So I've been doing small water changes and running my skimmer and hang on the back filter for the last few days. I just tested the water and all of my main parameters are at zero ammonia, nitrite, nitrates.]?[Since this is the first time I've ever had all zeros I just want to make sure I didn't accidentally un cycle the tank or something. Is that a possibility? Is there a way to know?]?

Nope you should be fine...water changes did what they do, get the numbers all back down. :)How's everything looking?

Great, thanks!Other than I had to mess my aquascape?up to make sure I got all the fish/clean up crew out, it is looking good. Water is all clear and levels are at basically 0 across the board..... Just in time for me to upgrade to a new tank.Taking the opportunity to get a 100g tank. I am going to leave the fish in their lifeboat and wait to just put them in the new tank. I am getting it delivered and set up on Saturday.Thanks for all your help! I think you are on every forum in the forums! ?

Awesome congrats! Sounds like your on about the same path as me going to 100 lol.Lol I think I am too, made a new years resolution to stay on top of the site to contribute where I can and do what I can as a moderator : -P

Posted by: Joe?Great said:
So I am assuming that your 100 gal build thread will start on Saturday or Sunday. LOLI live vicariously through you guys with big tanks, until I sell the wife on the idea.And yes Chris is on every thread and very helpful.

Happy to hear the disaster was avoided, that was really a huge overdose.i think I would also take the opportunity to get a new tank if I had managed to get all the fish out, that's not an easy task at all lol. If I got a new tank I would get a shallow 6 foot tank 80-90 gallons, so I can reuse all the equipment I already have from my 75, and still have manageable water changes without the need of a second room to hide all the equipment. I like to keep my tank in my home office and there isn't a nearby room where I could hide the extra equipment even if my Wife was ok with it (she definitely would not lol)