APex controller setup to internet?

Laser

Membership Expired
Need help from the experts. I have been spinning my wheels for 2 days now with no success. I have the APEX and setup on house router. All is working fine and I can communicate with apex and make changes etc. Now I am trying to get on the new URL I created at dyndns but cannot get it to work. I have gone through the process of getting port 80 setup to forward http requests to the apex already but unable to connect. Any ideas?

So you have set up the dyndns address on the apex unit correct? If so can you connect to the unit inside your house/network? Should look like this as an example: myhouse.dyndns.info:80 assuming that port 80 is set up to forward in your router. I used a different port on my apex and forwarded that one instead. Try like 5000

Sent from behind you!

that is what I am having trouble connecting to. What IP are you supposed to use when you set up host a dyndns

Best way to allow dyndns to connect to your network is download the updater on your home computer to allow it to see your local IP. Here is the link for windows computer.

http://dyn.com/support/clients/windows/

Sent from behind you!

already changed IP to static on router. Wow what a process this is!! Frustration has set in..

I have decided to go with Russ and join Reeftronics. They will hook up to my computer remotely and fix it!! They also continually monitor your apex. Looks like a great service!!

Lance,

All of the signatures that show's their real-time tank status, go thru the reefchat site. We are all in this together! [smilie=rofl.gif]

Cheers,

i have been trying to get that to work for the better part of 2 days with no success. Able to see apex from intranet but cant get connection from outside. I think i have a port problem with port 80 of some type.

trying to connect to http://lasersreef.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/status.xml just like the manual for dummies describes but cant get something to work correctly.
lasersreef.dyndns.org was created to address the static IP

Lance, if I could help you I would but this stuff usually makes my head explode. You are going to create the account at DYNDNS, and install software on your computer that keeps that up to date. I never check it but occasionally I have to go to their site or look at the program in my taskbar. There are commands you'll have to enter into the router, I believe. Bobby (silveradobobby) might be able to help you out as well, because when I was on a trip he installed my new router, did the configuring and my Apex continued to communicate with the world.

@Lance Lammons wrote:
trying to connect to http://lasersreef.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/status.xml just like the manual for dummies describes but cant get something to work correctly. lasersreef.dyndns.org was created to address the static IP said:
I am unable to connect to this. The first thing I would try is changing the Apex to a port other than 80. Many of the Internet providers wont allow forward requests to 80 so that you cant host your own web server. Try something like 5000. That would make your address: http://lasersreef.dyndns.org:5000/cgi-bin/status.xml It would also help if we knew which type of router you were working with. Many of them have dyndns built in and its easier to set it that way than to run the app on your computer. Ill be up a bit longer if you want some help PM me and Ill give you my cell number.

I know it is a Netgear router. I don't know who his internet provider is (cable? uverse? etc)

a lot of routers these days will allow you to log into your dynamic dns site with your user and password so you dont have to download their application and have it running on your machine.

Who is your ISP? if its verizon there is a good write up on RC but id also be willing to help you get it setup and create the port forwarding rules.

Your DNS name isn't responding:

grants-imac:~ Grant$ nslookup lasersreef.dyndns.org
Server: 192.168.1.1
Address: 192.168.1.1#53

** server can't find lasersreef.dyndns.org: NXDOMAIN

While I'd recommend a port other than "80", especially if you have a game adapter to connect your Apex to your wireless router (the game adapter usually uses 80), the first thing you need to fix is your DNS setup. Until the following command works: nslookup lasersreef.dysdns.org and responds with your IP address from your internet provider, nothing else is going to work.

For example, here's mine:

grants-imac:~ Grant$ nslookup hatter.dynalias.net
Server: 192.168.1.1
Address: 192.168.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: hatter.dynalias.net
Address: 71.170.17.33

ok everyone thanks for the help. I have forwarded the port to 8080 and input a backup dns server into the apex and all is working now@@!!

OK. Last order of business is to generate a live signature. I have gone to reefchat and successfully created it but cant get it to take on the dfwmas signature edit. I am trying to to to reefchat and right click,copy banner and then go to dfwmas sig update and insert img but i dont get a option for copy..Any ideas

Go to sig and past your sig in there like this:
[img put your link to sig here then add this bracket at the end of the word img at the beginning and end ][/img

Sent from behind you!