75G School build in need of donations

fperkins

Membership Expired
Folks, on one of the MACNA threads, a FW high school science teacher (user id Fish Outta Water --- Chisholm Trail High School) ) mentioned the desire to build a tank at the school.

Perhaps we could assist? Perhaps this could be the first of many? Time, money, equipment, ??? ... whatever you can offer will be welcome.

I have offered to donate a non-RR 75 G tank (have asked Marc to build overflow) and a 29 G for use as a sump ( not yet converted to use as a sump ).

Will also provide MJ hangers that fit the rim, and some other stuff as I find it.

So, I'm looking for help getting as much of a setup as we can staged and delivered.

Need:

A place in FW area to store and stage until it is ready to deliver and set up.

Assistance in drilling the tank -- I have hole saws, or we can use the club's .... need someone confident they can drill w/o breaking, or I will take a shot
Marc will build overflow ( I will cover cost )

Stand -- preferably something with controlled (lockable) access to interior.
Canopy? depends, but might be required and also have controlled access

Assistance in converting 29 to sump, unless someone has something else they can offer that is ready to use

Lights
MJ 1200 (4)
Return pump

Chiller --- Marc suggests she have a chiller as A/C may be off at night
Heaters --

Rock
Sand --- I have a bunch of used, there is some concern (based on past history) with using used .... if we can find new, fine, if not, need to prove used is ok
Plumbing
Skimmer
ATO --- something to get past the weekends and holidays
Salt
Test kits
Hydrometer

Power station

Other stuff as the need arises

Please do le me know if you can offer assistance.

Thanks

Does this school limit power consumption during weekends and holidays, many places actually cut power to non-critical areas for cost saving's.

What's the time frame on this? I'll have stuff from my existing 70g that can go toward this if the timing works out (sand, rock, heater, mag 5 return pump, Koralia power heads). I'm guessing my new build will be up and running in a couple of months. That should be in time for the start of the school year I would think.

In the meantime, I have a 20g acrylic tank I've been using for QT that can be used as a sump if someone can install some baffles.

Also, I assume they would need a skimmer? If someone can find me a deal on SRO 5000 I'll donate one of my existing skimmers.

Forgot to mention ... I will be out of town next week, so can't start until after the 20th.

Don't know Ron. Seems this is a new school so we may not be able to get an answer for a bit.

Frank I can drill the tank I have drilled several holes and not cracked a single tank. I think i am pretty close to you.
I also have an eheim pump that would be a great return pump. its either a 1260 or 1262 i bought it new and have only used it less then a year.

i know i live in tyler, but i have a black pine stand for a 75 that id be willing to donate. stand is in great shape. as far as sand im fixing to break down my 138 this weekend, i could rinse multiple times with ro water until its clean......it's the carib sea special grade reefloor about 75#'s. i've also got a 6 plug outlet strip i can let go of.

i will also have a full return plumb kit and (2) adjustable drain kits with two of the grey drain hoses from all glass (megaflow) as well as all three bulkheads once i break down my system this weekend.

@mradams1981 wrote:
i know i live in tyler said:
If you will PM location I can pick up on either the 21st or 28th ... unless you come to the DFW area.

Thank you very much

All I can say is wow! You guys are awesome! I will give you all the information I have right now on the high school.

The classroom is a science classroom so getting water and salt etc. on the floor is no big deal.

Heating/Cooling: They will turn the air off after school hours and on the weekends. However, our principal when giving us a tour said that our school is built to be more "eco friendly". Supposedly our school's temperature will not flucuate like many traditional schools do. They are pumping water out of the ground to cool the school. I cannot speak from experience what temperature the school stays at since this is the first year the school will be open. So this information will be a "wait and see" kind of thing.

Electrical: It is wired for a science lab but I will have to speak to my principal about the specifics. It may take me awhile to get back with this information since our school district is on vacation right now. We are not allowed into the school until July 18th but that date could be pushed back even further because of construction.
My principal is very open to the idea of getting an aquarium for our school. We eventually would like to get one that could be displayed in a main area like the library, office, etc. I am hoping that by starting up a classroom aquarium I can get students involved/invested in this hobby.

I have a bunch of plumbing stuff from 3/4" to 1 1/4" that i am happy to let someone take to help plumb the system.

How is nitrate and phosphate removal going to be done? I can donate some rubble rick and i might have a good cfl and socket for growing macro as well, need to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I wish I didn't live in Sherman and lived closer cause I run a family owned plumbing company and could help out with plumbing greatly.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I know if we can make this happen for my school I can get you guys some advertising on our school's website. I'm still waiting to hear back from my principal about specifics.

Sorry if it takes me awhile to back on here. I'm in AP chemistry training all week at TCU.

Their schedule supports a mid-August setup.

In addition to stuff, and setup help, may need ongoing support for maintenance. School is on Marine Creek Lake so FW folks will obviously be much better positioned.

Thanks

I have a spare heater and a koralia 750 I can donate. Chisholm is just down the street from me so I can assist with setup or maintenance if needed. This is a really awesome idea for a school and after seeing this my oldest wants to talk to his teachers at Boswell about setting a tank up there as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

@C0pe Tell your oldest to talk to Boswell's aquatic science teacher or environmental teacher. Too bad he's not going to our school (CTHS). I would love to have dedicated students right off the bat!

I think I have couple koralias if needed I can donate just let me know and can bring to aug meeting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk