440g Starphire Custom Dropoff Reef Tank

Hey coralreefer, yeah, I hear you on the acrylic bottom, I've actually been toying with that thought the last day or so. And yup, you're spot on as to why I want the L shape, rather than the large tank, having that usable space is a big enough bonus. to make it worth the time/effort to me.

Using a reg tank and building a step is the same thing in your drawing

You just use the step inside the tank and the stand to create the L shape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are you losing space a rectangle is a rectangle. You are just cutting a portion out of the rectangle to make an L in how you are designing it

You are making it more complicated that it needs to be if you are only going with shallow shelf and the shelf is level with the stand

What he is saying is that with a typical tank you lose the space UNDER the shelf that you would add. That space below there would be wasted. If you build the tank in an L shape, you have extra height in the stand below the shelf. That height will come in very handy when looking at those giant sized skimmers. I've got a skimmer sitting in my fish room that's 36" tall! Fit that under a typical stand!

Your money and your dream buddy, make it happen! I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.

So you plan on making the rock yourself too?

if this is all glass is there a seem on the "L" shaped part.

No, it will be live rock with a PVC substructure, covered in pond foam and formed Polygem Zoopoxy #307 LITE and custom latex press molds to give the appearance of actual live rock. No, the L-shaped piece will be a single piece, much like Bello's tank. I'm going to have the pieces cut on a CNC waterjet to ensure accuracy of ±.003" and perfectly leveled cuts on each axis.

Sounds like it will be a great build, only thing I will say about a solid rectangular tank is that it would be easy to baffle 16" of it and make a DSB, same idea as L shaped. I've always liked the tank in the pics above. Just always thought it should have more NPS coral in the deeper portion. As far as the skimmer I would go with the Alpha hands down. I really can't wait to see water in this thing. Have you considered having a small island in the shallow section, there is a tank I see often that has a volcano theme that has several area for his crabs to rest. Definately alot to consider as you can do anything you can imagine so long as you have the $$$. Best of luck

I showed this to my wife and she was very keen on the idea of creating one. I'm following you're posts and all tidbits of good and bad info.

I have always liked these tanks, but have never tried one because I think it will be very difficult to ensure that both ends are properly supported. Any mismatch between the stand and the tank will cause significant stress to the seems. In glass this will be even worse due to its stiffness. I look forward to seeing this thing take shape.

@zed102 wrote:
I have always liked these tanks said:
That's why I'm doing it as a metal-framed tank, zed102. By ensuring structural integrity between the two, and utilizing the rigidity of the frame, rather than the inherent strength (or lack thereof) of the silicone-to-glass bond, it should be a much stronger and more rigid structure, and (in other words) not go "crack-boom-whoooosh... splash splash splash" in the middle of the night.

I have no doubt that you thought this through. As I stated, I look forward to it taking shape. Hopefully, it's success will finally inspire me to do something similar.

Okay, so just a few updates. I put together a mockup of the new tank will go into, so we can figure out furniture, etc. Also, Wendy wanted a nano tank for some h. barbouri seahorses, so I mocked up a tank for her from the scrap cut to make the L-shaped pieces for the main tank. It will definitely be the stoutest nano EVER, as it's 24"l x 16"h x 12"w, made out of 3/4" low-iron glass. LOL It'll have a sump underneath with a WAY oversized skimmer for the tank size, to accommodate the nastiness that seahorse tanks create.

You'll pardon me if the models aren't exact, but I just wanted to make sure I was giving myself enough room for the Alpha 300 Kone skimmer, for the two HY5000 returns, and also to check the placement of the four Vortech pumps (2x MP40wES, 2x MP60wES). The two 40 gallon tanks up front are going to be quarantine tanks, the water jugs are for top-off water (and will be pulled from with an auto-topoff turning on/off an Aqualifter pump. The large portion of the sump towards the front will be a refugium/frag area. Oh, and I added 2" tabs with holes for attaching the wood facing on the stand.

Anyone see anything I'm missing, something I could improve or you think I should change?
tankwithequipment.png
alt="">
tankwithequipment2.png
alt="">
tankwithequipment3.png
alt="">
tankwithequipment4.png
alt="">
tankwithequipment5.png
alt="">
Fishroom34view.png
alt="">
Fishroom1.png
alt="">
Fishroomsmalltank.png
alt="">

A few new renders of the fish room, we finally decided on a paint scheme and flooring. The photos are all ones I took on our dive trip to the Great Barrier Reef. Some of the renders don't have the main tank so you can see the rest of the room better. Gotta love V-ray!

vrayroomwithtankpainted.jpg
alt="">

fishroomlightsinprogress.jpg
alt="">

vraynightrender.jpg
alt="">

have you found someone that will build the tank?

So, it might not be much (yet) but it's a start. We cleaned and primed the room today (this pic was after the first coat of Kilz primer). Tomorrow we'll paint the room with Valspar Kitchen and Bath, then on Monday I've got a couple of electricians coming out to give me quotes on doing the electrical. I've already installed the dimmer switch for the room, and the track lighting (with LED bulbs) is waiting in the garage for when the painting is done.
IMG_0019.jpg
alt="">