140 Gallon Starphire Build

G

I finally am able to start my dedicated fishroom as my sister graduated from RN school and is moving out. So I am upgrading from a 65 gallon Starphire Shallow tank.

Tank
Tank will be 48"L x 30"W x 24"H I wanted to go 36" W but office door would not allow me to fit the stand in

Going to be Starphire on three sides with external overflow.

Flow

1" seaswirl fed by either water blaster or tunze return pump
2 x tunze nano 6055
1 x 6206 Nano Wavebox
1 x mp40w w batterbackup

Filtration

Skimmer will be I tech 100 till ATI Powercone 200 comes out and will decide then if I need to upgrade

Modified Vertex zf-15 to run NP Biopellets

I swap out Carbon and Gfo at two week intervals through a TLF 550 reactor

Lighting

Temporarily use

ATI Powermodule 8x36" T5
2 x reefbrite all blue leds

I am going to buld to a 40" diy dimmable led with 2 x 36" t5 fixture controlled by a profilux

Dosing

Profilux 4 channel doser

Dosing daily CA, ALK, MG and Trace Elements try to do sort of a diy balling method/Two Part

I am big proponent of dosing Vitamin C, Amino Acids, Brightwells Koral Color and MB7 I will continue to dose these manually every three days.

Sounds great! I love the size of my 140, but I like the sound of yours being 30" deep and 24" tall, mine is opposite that and the sand be is hard to reach in the corners. Can't wait to see your writeup on the LED build.

Hey Pampee, great to see you upgrading.

Let me know if you need a seaswirl and tunze return pump, I have one of each to sell, although I think my sea swirl is 3/4".

Pampee, any particular reason you are choosing to Dose CA, ALK, MG, instead of a CA reactor or Kalk reactor?
I am starting to plan my build, but don't have experience with dosers or any reactors and was curious why you chose dosing.

@Ross110 wrote:
Pampee said:
when i had a ca reactor i had trouble keeping my ph stable i had to dose kalk at night.

i am a fan of kalk reactors they are great but you need to be really careful as you can nuke your tank if you are not careful.

I run majority sps so being able to dial in ca and alk is the reason i went with dosing. plus now i dont have to worry about low ph as when i had a ca reactor

@kuyatwo wrote:
[I]@chrisrush wrote:[/I][quote="Hey Pampee said:
yeah definetly on the sea swirl i have two tunze return pumps already one for backup"]

Cool. Let me get it cleaned up and I'll send it to you. Pm me your address.

Quick update

Lighting with the guidance of Wayne (imagex) we are going with a 40" heatsink (heatsinkusa.com) and 39 LEDs all Cree. 13 x neutral whites 13 x royal blues. 13 x blues. Also we are going to add two 36" t5's I wanted to make sure the whole spectrum is covered. Probably run kz Fiji purple and either ge 6500 or ati blue plus. The whole setup will be controlled by my Profilux I am really excited as they have a new module that can control Arduino Meanwell drivers. So you can now do Storm, cloudy, rain and moon modes on the diy led fixtures.

I also picked up an I-tech 200 skimmer the price was too good to pass up. I am a big fan of I-tech skimmers for the performance of stinky skimmate and the craftsmanship

@Ross110 wrote:
are those the 1w or 3w LEDs? said:
These will be 3 watt leds with the profilux controller you can dim for 0 to 100 percent

@unttrmptplyr wrote:
any updates? said:
the two sides and front pane of 1/2" starphire glass arrives this weekend and from what David told me he has also ordered the pieces for the external overflow, bottom and back pane also. So tank should be assembled soon and will post pics.

steel stand from member luck_of_the_draw is being built the bad weather has kind of slowed things down plus he is trying something new on how the light rack attaches to the stand.

I found a Itech 200 skimmer and hopefully will arrive today. Suppose to arrive last thursday but weather delayed it. My plan is to see if an avast swabbie self cleaning head will fit the collection cup, I need to send the dimensions of the collection cup to Avast once the skimmer arrives to see if a standard swabbie will work of if something custom needs to be made.

We still have not redone the floors but been working with a member floorguy to get a quote so hopefully soon the floors will be done.

I still need to find an electrician as i want to add a 20 amp circuit to the fish room/man cave. I have couple of electricians that were reccomended to me but have not called them yet.

I also found a module for my profilux controller to run the diy leds to its full potential ie storm, cloudy mode.

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/02/01/profilux-led-control-4/

I am in no hurry to rush this build my goal is to start moving stuff over by may/june.

Decided on a sump design going to have david varela build something like this one, this is from rc member v1...rotate on rc. I do not use a refugium as the biopellets just compete with them so this is just a plain sump to hold my eqpt. dimension of the sump are 36" L x 24" W and 18" T. This will be glass with black silicone.