120 in progress

hitillidie

Membership Expired
Well, stain the Stand and Canopy over the weekend and I'm almost ready to start plumbing. Bought the 120 also, oceanic from saltwater paradise. What ya think of the stand and canopy. Now I gotta waite to find someone to help me place it the stand.

standncanopyrb0.jpg
alt="">
120od3.jpg
alt="">

The stand and canopy look great and can hardly wait to see your completed project. Take lots of pictures as you go.

Thanks fellow reefers, I'll try to remember to take lots of pictures. I'm gonna try to really take my time and be selective with this one. This will be my first set-up which, I don't have to be cheap do to lack of money

The stand looks great, was it DIY or did you just stain and finish it? If you need a hand with putting the tank on the stand shoot me a PM I would be happy to help.

I built the stand, Canopy and stain it myself. Thanks for the offer marine-noob, if my bother don't come by tomorrow I may take you up on that

Something you might want to try on your return. That tank in the past has come with the return inside each bulkhead towards the outside of the tank. So the holes when looked at from left to right are overflow #1(return, drain) and overflow #2(drain, return). I wish I would of done this on mine when I set it up. My idea is to have the return on each side come up to a tee then split off left and right so that you have some flow in the middle of the tank as well as the outside of the tank. Let me know if this doesn't make sense and I will try to explain it better maybe.

Alright, been busy trying to move item from the 210 but had a little time to do a few things. I have along with the help of my brother have put the tank on the stand.

tankonstandeu3.jpg
alt="">

I put the bulkheads in, along with the return and drains and I have placed them according to extinguishfire suggestions (thanks :wink: ).

overflowsly4.jpg
alt="">

Things are coming along smooth so far. Can't waite :D

I'll be painting the back tomorrow blue or black? any suggestion on what paint sticks to glass?

I don't think you got what I was suggesting. Currently it looks like you have it set up the way that oceanic intended. I was suggesting lowering your durso drain pipes. Then adding a tee to your return lines instead of just a 90 degree elbow. The tee fitting will allow you to have a return nozzle on both sides of each overflow. This will give you some flow in between the overflow boxes. Currently it looks like you just have return lines towards the outside of the tank.

Use a krylon industrial paint. Just a hint, put a lamp inside the tank as you paint the outside. This will help you see any missed spots. Take your time and do several coats. It really doesnt matter as it will all be pink in a few months anyway unless you keep it scraped off.

@extinguishfire wrote:
I don't think you got what I was suggesting. Currently it looks like you have it set up the way that oceanic intended. I was suggesting lowering your durso drain pipes. Then adding a tee to your return lines instead of just a 90 degree elbow. The tee fitting will allow you to have a return nozzle on both sides of each overflow. This will give you some flow in between the overflow boxes. Currently it looks like you just have return lines towards the outside of the tank. said:
Okay, I see. but I like the line-loc and a Y and it'll accomplish the same thing.

Alright, I've painted the babk of the tank. I put about 5 coats on there just to make sure :wink: .

backpaintedblueop3.jpg
alt="">

I've also put my tunzes in place and my seio thats going to run behind the rock. Lots of water flow. You think that 2 6100's on a 4ft 120 with fine sand is going to be too much? I will have them turn all the way down. I've been BB for the last three years but I want a tank with SSB.

pumps1vi7.jpg
alt="">

It should be fine. Your rockwork will help deflect some of the sand's movement. Just remember new sand takes time to weigh down with bacteria so it will blow around at first. I'd have the flow very low for the first week or two to avoid sand getting into the pumps and scoring the magnets.

okay reefers, I order my MH, after some research, I went2-250 icecap hqi ballast, PFO DE pendents. Going to run reeflux 10k bulbs. I also going to run 4 super actinics 110w vhos. Think that may be too much blue?

@hitillidie wrote:
okay reefers said:
If you're running Reeflux you did the right thing with the IceCaps. With all the supplementation, it may be a little on the blue side but I'd be more concerned about electricity consumption - 440w for actinics is a lot. You could go with T5 retros and cut that dramatically.

Did you look at Lumenarc or Lumenmax pendants? They're only marginally more expensive and you get MUCH better performance.

I'm currrently running 3 250w SE Reeflux 10k's on Icecap ballasts along with VHO actinic supplementation. I'm very satisfied with the color. Very crisp and not too blue.