120 gallon DAS, Gone forever

Heath

Membership Expired
Its going to be slow. I am in and out of travel to Israel, but I am trying to move through this as fast as possible.

The tank before I started on the rock background and after I had been tinkering with it a little.
DSC00499.jpg
alt="">

The sand I will be using, all 160lbs of it. I think this will be nice and not fly all over the place like the sugar grain stuff I currently have in my 75.
DSC00516.jpg
alt="">

The sump that came with the tank. I have already cut out the one baffle that came with it, and all in all, its a nice sized sump. It is 48x18x14, and has more then enough space to accommodate what I plan to do. On the other hand, I have no room for anything else underneath the tank, so I will be building a cabinet to set next to the tank and hold an ATO container, etc...
DSC00514.jpg
alt="">
DSC00513.jpg
alt="">

I took some of the foam board and cut it to the dimensions of the right back side of the tank. I had already squared away some of the rock to get it ready for gluing to the back wall. The rest of the foam board is a good catch all to keep from getting junk in your carpet while working... also great for a cat scratching post. BTW, these are marcorocks prime cuts. They come with a cut and finished back surface to make it easy.
DSC00498.jpg
alt="">

Now, some of the progress. I used a 2x4 as a ledger to space the rock from the bottom. I will have a 4+ inch sand bed, so it will cover it up, and I am not keen on paying more for rock that isnt going to be seen. I intend on filling in the larger gaps with rubble rock, and then using a reef safe epoxy that will have sand mixed in to fill in everything else (sort of like grouting tile). The overflow is going to be receiving a similar treatment, where I hope to also incorporate some shelf and branch.
DSC00517.jpg
alt="">

Like i said, I hope to keep the updates rolling, but no guarantees.

Just ordered some stuff from BRS

75lbs BRS Pukani Dry Eco Aquarium Live Rock
7lbs Dry Live Rock Rubble
10lbs BRS Shelf Dry Eco Aquarium Live Rock

So, with the rubble and shelf I should be able to finish up the rest of my background project and then start aquascaping my rock pile.

I am thinking about doing an mp40. If anyone wants to give me some opinions on whether they love/hate em, that would be great. I went to franks and saw his mp60s and was really impressed.

I got my rock in from BRS today. I am impressed with the rock, and the sizes they gave me. The piece of shelf that they gave me is more then I expected... im not complaining, i just got to figure out what to do with it. The pukani is really light stuff.
DSC00523.jpg
alt="">
DSC00525.jpg
alt="">
DSC00529.jpg
alt="">
DSC00531.jpg
alt="">

@luhring wrote:
Looks good said:
No epoxy so far. Rocks were stuck on the back with silicone, and I have some mortar to help bond the pieces of rock together if I need to. Back needs to be finished, but will be using pond foam, resin, and sand.

Like always, I take forever to get something done. I have a few touch ups to do, but nothing major.

2011-07-14212730.jpg
alt="">
2011-07-14212712.jpg
alt="">

After putting all the sand in, I realized the fiance and I had discussed moving the tank to a different location. [smilie=shake.gif]

Plenty more to do. I hope to move a little faster on everything else.

came together well, looking forward to what you do with the rock work. dry rock and mortar gives you a lot of options. did you make the mortar out of the clam shell stuff?

as for vortecs, if you didnt see it already they were just tested and actually output more flow than advertised and perform well. their latest version is a very solid pump. although, i have 4 mp40's and 2 mp10's so i may be bias towards them. your problem with vortecs would be the fine sand, even turned down they will dig a hole.

good luck with it!

The sand is somewhat course, but I have seen what the mp60s did to Franks 300 gallon. Doesnt look like it was anything major, but it did move some sand.

I only ordered 75lbs of the Pukani dry rock, but I just have too much, and a lot of the stuff I received was large (and thats my fault). So I am pulling my hair out, trying to make an open looking structure that allows for distinct zones of stoney, softies, and lps.... and also keeps them from touching/fighting each other.

Im also thinking about complicating matters by putting a bubble tip anemone in there.

Moved the tank yesterday with help of Frank's suction cups and a good buddy.

I painted everything with oil based kilz that would likely come into contact with water (no pictures).

I also put down some egg crate and started on my rock pile, its my first pass and I may or may not change it. Knowing me, I will probably leave it alone. The pukani locks together pretty well.

2011-07-23152605.jpg
alt="">
2011-07-23152630.jpg
alt="">
2011-07-23152545.jpg
alt="">

Sweet build man and I can see your thoughts on the MP 60 in a 120gallon it WILL MIX THE SAND AND WATER PRETTY WELL ,just a question do you need the mp 60 you could go with the 40s , vertech does not recommend running any of there MPs under 30% and I am running my 60s with tangs at 40% random just a thought , you are welcome to stop by and see the 60s in action /and my build as well -curt -

Im wanting to go with a mp40 when ever the moola presents itself, and if I am ever in the area, I will deff stop by to check the tank out.

I can not find the marcorocks prime cut rock that you used for the wall on brs site
Can you post a link to it.
I love the way it turned out and would like to ask you questions on how to do it.
Thanks
Steve

Ask me all the questions you would like, either in here or through PM.

And thank you.

@Bulldog Steve wrote:
I can not find the marcorocks prime cut rock that you used for the wall on brs site Can you post a link to it. I love the way it turned out and would like to ask you questions on how to do it. Thanks Steve said:
Errr.....you may want to look at the marcorocks website. [smilie=smile.gif] http://www.marcorocks.com/keylargoprimecuts20poundboxshipsfree.aspx

Cheers,