Search results

1. N

Does any have any experience with Christmas tree worms?

Does any have any experience with Christmas tree worms? Are they beneficial? Thanks, Nick
  2. N

How do I get rid of Brown Diatoms?

I didn’t think my tank would cycle since I put water, sand and LR in from an established tank. However, I noticed a brown diatom bloom on Monday. How do I get rid of it? Should I leave it alone? I tested everything and all my levels are on the mark. Should I add power heads and do water 10%...
  3. N

Tips on setting up a Quarantine Tank?

Eventually I want to setup a quarantine tank. I wanted to keep it relatively simple and planned on getting a 24 Gallon Nano Cube since it is a all-in-one setup. I am new to saltwater and have heard that keeping a UV Sterilizer in a QT tank is a good move. Would you all agree? However, if I have...
  4. N

My Tank: After 2 Weeks!

First, I have got to thank Frank Perkins and Sam for their generosity. These guys spent hours helping me set everything up and answered all of my newbie questions. Frank even swung by last saturday to help me change a return hose out and lend advice to this complex but great hobby. This tank...
  5. N

How do you build a refugium/sump?

I see there are a lot of people that have been building their own sumps and refugiums. This inspired me to add an acrylic dividing wall to my oceanic sump last week at an attempt to make a small refugium. Needless to say, it didn’t work. First, I had no idea what I was doing. Secondly, I didn’t...
  6. N

Question on Mixing Saltwater?

Please bear with me here....I have never mixed saltwater before. After I get my mix and blend it with the water, is there anything else I need to do besides making sure everything is mixed well? Do I need to keep it circulating? Do I need to keep it heated? How much should I keep on hand at a time?
  7. N

Raising Misys Shrimp?

I have been researching raising your own food. Time and time again I see the "experts" say how brine shrimp lacks the nutrition needed to sustain your aquarium livestock. People seem to recommend Misys shrimp as their food of choice. How do I go about buying a hatchery to raise these little...
  8. N

What are some simple corals for a newbie?

I have experience with saltwater fish but no experience with corals. I know there are limitless factors to take into consideration when choosing corals for an aquarium, i.e. water flow, lighting, feeding, etc. What are 4-5 basic corals that are easy to maintain, work under power compacts and are...
  9. N

Live Rock Question

If I had live rock but wasnt ready to put it in my tank...(i.e. I've got the LR several days before the tank.) Can I put all of the LR in buckets with plenty of saltwater and place it outside in the sun during the day and inside the garage at night? Or do I need to keep it heater and lighted...
  10. N

Whats the best lighting for a 62g Tub?

I am about to buy a 62G Tub. I want to buy new lights but dont want to spend an arm and a leg. What brand and type of lights would be good for a fish and soft coral tank?
  11. N

Acclamation Questions and Rubberbanning Question?

When you add something new to a tank, is it better to turn your lights off for the process, or keep them on? I didnt know if having them off would cause less stress on the object. In addition, I see that many members rubberband items in there tank, i.e. mushrooms, corals, etc. Does this cause a...
  12. N

Can you glue anemones to a rock?

I have never had a anemone before, but since they move so much, can i glue them to a rock like people do corals, etc.
  13. N

what kind of fish can i put with a baby dwarf lion fish?

what kind of fish can i put with a baby dwarf lion fish? He is small and passive.
  14. N

Whats Kind of Alage do I have in my tank?

I noticed today that I am starting to get a reddish brown alage in my tank on the back wall and on the biowheel. How do I get rid of it? Is it bad? I need your help.
  15. N

I just wanted to thank everyone on the D.M.A.S.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone on this forum who have helped answer all my questions and get everything setup and running. I know I ask alot of questions but I'd be lost with out everyones help, so again thank you very much. Godbless, Nick
  16. N

Should I put coral or fish first into my tank?

I was wondering if I shoud put my fish or coral into my tank first. And what kind of coral is a great starter coral but still is colorful?
  17. N

Whats Floating in My Tank?

I bought some liverock yesterday from Petland in Lewisville, Tx. I bought a 5 pound piece of tongan ( I think im saying it correctly) and a 5 pound piece of fiji with coraline all over it. This afternoon when looking at my tank, I saw a bunch of little things floating around. They are...
  18. N

how much live rock do i need for a 30 gallon tank?

I have some great live sand, but how much liverock do i need for a 30 gallon tank? What about base rock? Anything else aid in filtration? If anyone has some liverock they need t get rid of let me know to buy or trade. I have a berlin protein skimmer thats never been used, if someone wants to trade.
  19. N

I need help setting my tank up!

7/6/05 Hey, My name is nick, and i am a UNT college student and that lives in lewisville/coppell area of the DFW area. I bought a awesome 55 gallon saltwater tank with tons of extras off ebay, but i have never had a tank and have no idea how to set it up. If there is someone who is willing to...