Search results

1. W

how do beckett skimmers work?

I know how airstone and venturi skimmers work. And i also know the fundamental and chemistry or how they work. But how exactly do beckett skimmers work. My taking is that they shoot a high velocity stream of water into the base of the skimmer which creates the bubbles. Is this correct? Does...
  2. W

Sand that wont settle - What should i do?

[I got about 45 to 50 lbs of faithwarren's sand from there leaking 1000 gallon tank. I put this into my new tank and it has a 2" to 3" sand bed. My problem is that it is constantly floating in the water to where i cant even see through to the back. I just moved around the rock alittle and it...
  3. W

Diy mh lights - Questions

[http://www.justinunderwater.com/mhkit.htm I was wondering if anyone knew specifically what light kit this guy is talking about from home depot? I looked around and i couldn't really find what it was describing.]
  4. W

Adding reef elements to a fowlr? - Getting ready to start a nano reef

[Right now i have a tank with a 12" snowflake, 1" picasso, and 2" niger along with some LS and LR. I am getting ready to move these guys into a larger tank once it is cycled and steady. I would like to start adding the elements needed to sustain reef to my tank right now so that it will be...
  5. W

Drain for a tank. - Not drilling or using overflow

[I plan on using some drilled pvc as my way of taking water out of my tank and draining it to the sump. I will basically make it work like a siphon. I will put the pvc tip about 6" above the sand line (18" tall tank) and i will place a siphon break hole about 3" to 4" from the top of a tank to...
  6. W

Looking for red anemones - For a 15 gallon reef tank

[I am new to reefs, I am looking to make a small 15gallon reef tank. I would like to make it look very bright. I have seen a couple of red anemones and some black clown fish. I would like to do these. My question is what are the different types of red anemones? Preferably ones that dont need...
  7. W

Tounge and groove on acrylic - Will it make a tank stronger?

[My idea is to cut a groove into the bottum piece of the tank and the eurobracing top piece (i think that is what it is called) and then the front, back and side pieces with have the protruding v cut on it and then a simular cut connecting the sides with the front and back. Of course acrylic...
  8. W

How to diy protein skimmer? - How do you build your own?

[I kind of understand how a protein skimmer works but don't know the exact mechanics of it. Could someone please explain to me how they work and the specifics of the mechanical parts. Also does anyone have specs for how to build them. Right now i need one that will work for a 20 to 30 gallon...
  9. W

20g tank sump refugium set up? - What size equipment (pumps, capiacity)?

[I previously posted about building a 90 to 135g aquarium, now i have a question about a much smaller one. I have a 20g aquarium right now (eclipse tank) it has LS and 6lbs LR. I decided to get a porcupine puffer (I know this is too small of a tank for one But he is only 2 inch in length and...
  10. W

Building aquarium and sump - Acrylics where to get them and more

[I am new to saltwater but not new to fish. I am the type of person who really likes to get into hobbies and do the most hands on approach. I have been reading numerous threads about sumps and designs for them. I am looking to build a 55 to 75 gallon medium size tank and i would like to use...