Looking for red anemones - For a 15 gallon reef tank

[I am new to reefs, I am looking to make a small 15gallon reef tank. I would like to make it look very bright. I have seen a couple of red anemones and some black clown fish. I would like to do these.

My question is what are the different types of red anemones? Preferably ones that dont need the special type of light but i guess the lighting for a tank this small wouldnt be that expensive.

I really want it to be very vibrant and almost king of an artistic look. I would like to do 2 of the clowns and several small or a couple of the red anemones.

thanks alot.]

[Most likely the ones you are seeing are rose bubble tip anemones. I'll give you the good news first. They are among the easier anemones to keep :beer:

Bad news. They are still difficult and require an established tank (running several months) and a lot of light. :(

Do give the sticky (pinned) threads in the Anemone forum on here a read as they will give you great care info on them!]

[thanks, would it still be good to upgrade the lighting or is it not necessary.

I have had a salt water, LR,LS with fish for about two months now in this tank so i will probably give the tank about another month to cycle out all of the waste and then give it a try. Would i be able to put 3 or 4 of the anemones right next to each other or is this a bad idea?]

[They get huge. (I have one that is over a foot) In that small of a tank stick with one!

What kind of light do you have now? At a minimum I would say you need as many PCs or VHOs as you can fit. A metal halide would be best!

Also you say there are already fish. How many and what. You don't want more than 2 or 3 at the extreme small fish in a tank that size!]

Edited By kwl1763 on 1113338540

[Right now i have a 12" snowflake eel. However, i will be getting a 40 gallon tank in the next week (FOWLR) that i will be moving "fat bastard" into (he will eat all day if you let him). Once the 40 gallon is cycled and ready then i will start preping the 15 gallon for reef, it already has 2" of live sand and about 10 lbs of live rock (i will get more). It uses a regular carbon filter. I will probably buy the light from the link but would like to find something a little cheaper.

Again all i want are some clowns maybe two and a large anemone and cleaning crew. Once i can handle those for a couple of months i may ad some shrimp or crabs.

Please let me know if i am missing anything. thanks alot]

[Sounds good. That honestly is a very good deal for the light and the only way you'll beat it is by looking for something used!]

You want to put a 'red anemone' in a '15g tank'?

:no:

'three or four anemones'?

:no:

Anemones need good water quality, and in a 15g, it won't take much at all for your parameters to nosedive. Even evaporation will fluctuate salinity.
I don't recommend an anemone for a nano tank. My BTA was too large for my 29g.

current1217.jpg
alt="">

There are other choices, as clowns tend to host in almost anything. You could buy some Florida Frilly Lavendar Mushrooms, for example. They almost look like anemones. http://melevsreef.com/id/frilly.html

hosting_clown.jpg
alt="">

Topic moved to its current forum

[I now agree with the fact that i should not have more than one. I didn't realize they got that large. thanks

I am not too familar with the lighting systems, but i will believe you that it is a great deal.

I really like the rose for the color, i know that may not be the best reason, but it is my reason.

I am going to be doing a tank suffle, right now i have a 15g with a snowflake with live rock/sand and clean up crew. Tomorrow I will be getting my hands on a 30g tank that i will be setting up as a FOWLR for my snowflake and a puffer (yes i know that it is a little small). In about 6 months time i will be putting together a 150g tank. I will be starting the 15g reef tank once the 30g is ready for the eel. Once the 150g is ready for the eel and puffer and so on i will make the 30g a reef.

All this to say i would really like to get the rose and transfer it to the 30g once it is ready.

Are there any other types of anemone that are a deep red color that are more for my set up.

Thanks]

Edited By Willy on 1113367646

[Probably your best bet for bright reds in your tank will be with mushrooms which coincidentally are sometimes refered to as mushroom 'anemones'. ;) Many clownfish will happily host in mushrooms, especially the frilly Rhodactis sp. and, mushrooms stay where you put them! :D]

[Are you going to get one of the small sharpnose or Valentine puffers? Please say yes. No other puffer (porcipine, dogface, stars and stripes, etc.) should go in a tank even twice that big!]

[What is the low wattage Metal halide sold? All i have seen in a 175w and that would bleach out everything for the size tank i have.

Also what are some good websites that would allow me to veiw all of the different types anemones, corals, soft coral, etc.....]

Edited By Willy on 1113582579

@Willy wrote:
[What is the low wattage Metal halide sold? All i have seen in a 175w and that would bleach out everything for the size tank i have. Also what are some good websites that would allow me to veiw all of the different types anemones said:
[Not true. Some run 400's over nano's. I won't go into the details but water volume means nothing in reguards to lighting. It is all about the dimensions.

BTW you can get a 70 watt halide.]

[I have been told that anything that is over 8watts per gallon will bleach reef organisms (unless it is held 2 to 3 feet above the water) i found a 50watt for about 150 from a general lighting company.]

[Will, the advice you are getting is pretty darn questionable. Why don't you list what light you want to get, and let us confirm whether it is a good choice or not. That way you can make the right purchase the first time.

I think the Icecap 70w MH floodlight would be a good choice for a 15g nano. Your light should not be more than 12" off the water. I tend to aim for 9" myself, and have cooling fans to keep the heat off the water's surface.]

[The link posted above was of a 175W for 150 everything packaged together nice little deal. I think is made to sit about 4 to 5 in above the water. This is the one i thought of getting. Is this too much, just right, or not enough???]

[It seems like a lot of light 5" off the water of a 15g tank, but it probably would do a great job. You are referring to the light Mitch posted, advertised as 211w, right?]

[Yes, the one he posted. I will putting together a 30 gallon reef in about six months so i would like a powerful e nough light that would work for that tank to, but not be too much for the 15g .]