Search results

1. G

Peppermint Angelfish from the Waikiki Aquarium

I was in Hawaii over the winter holiday, so of course I went snorkeling and paid a visit to the Waikiki Aquarium in Honolulu. I just thought I'd post my crappy pictures of the world's most expensive fish: the peppermint angelfish. IMG_6584.jpg IMG_9743.jpg The Waikiki Aquarium has the only...
  2. G

What is this? It looks like a nem...

Hitchhiker anemone.jpg I found this little guy hiding on a zoa rock I bought from another reefer. Its really pretty, you can't tell from the crappy pic. It's body is clear with concentric bright fluorescent green and orange and red rings and spots and it has pinkish/orangish tips on its...
  3. G

Lighting for a 20 long

I'm just trying to figure out a lighting solution for a 20 gallon long tank I will be moving my setup into this summer. It is 30" x 12" by 12" (length x width x height). What do some more experienced people think about going with a a 21 x 1 watt 6500K luxeon LED board and a 20 x 3 watt...
  4. G

Weird bubbles on frogspawn

I have had this frogspawn for about 3 months. It has been growing well and seems to be doing fine. However, each polyp has this weird bubble of tissue on it that I have never seen on anyone else's frogspawn. IMG_4983.jpg IMG_7859.jpg Anyone know what is going on here?
  5. G

Advice for an enigmatic anemone

About 2 weeks ago I purchased a GBTA from a fellow reefer. Within the first 2 days in my tank it split (hurrah! 2 for the price of one!). One of those clones is now open and crawling around in my tank, acting like I think an anemone should. The other one has been parked in a cave underneath...
  6. G

Gabe's 1 gallon

I received this 6" x 6" x 8" tank from an old roommate of mine. He kept a betta in it [smilie=smirk.gif] Now it's time for it to live up to its potential as a tiny reef tank! I put the feet on it and will cut the wood trim it came with (not pictured) to fit around the bottom of the tank so it...
  7. G

Insanely high Calcium level...

I just tested my water after doing a water change and, according to my API Reef Master Test Kit, my Calcium level is 720 ppm. The strangest thing is that my KH is still 9 dKH. Is that even possible? I was under the impression that very high calcium levels make keeping appropriate KH levels...
  8. G

DIY Marineland LED Fixture

So, I'm a saltwater noob. I just set up my first salt water tank at the beginning of January. But, being a college student, I wanted to go the cheapest route possible on most things. I've DIYed my whole light set up. I'm running three 10 watt 20000K LEDs in a piece of crap (eventually to be...
  9. G

Help selecting my first marine fish...

I have a 20 gallon tank with a 5 gallon sump. It's been up and running for a little over a month and is currently stocked with 2 hermits, 5 astrea snails, 1 scarlet skunk shrimp, some zoanthids, LPS, and one SPS frag. I plan on getting a few more shrimp (blood red fire and sexy) and as many...