Search results

1. B

Maxspect Gyre Pump at Franks Tanks

Looks like Frank will have a Coralvue rep at his store demoing this pump next Saturday at 1:00. Can't wait!! Been reading about it for most of the year.
  2. B

Return pump rule of thumb?

I searched the subject and came up with two different rules of thumb. One says to aim for 3-5x DT volume. Another says to match the return gph to the skimmer pump gph. Both make sense but in my case these two rules give me two very different numbers. My DT is 110g and my skimmer pump puts...
  3. B

Grafted Corals?

What is this. Two related corals that grow together? Why so much extra money? Supposed to be better than either of the individuals? Just wondering.
  4. B

Heat From Mag 9.5

Put my mag-drive 9.5 in a 5 gallon bucket with about 2 1/2 gallons of vinegar/water and let it run for about 10 hours for routine cleaning. Went back and unplugged it and the water seemed hot. It was 99 degrees! Is this normal in such a small volume of water? Would there be little temp rise...
  5. B

GSP

I've seen GSP advertised as metallic, electric green, super green and other adjectives I can't remember. Is there really any noticeable difference? Are some really brighter or different from all the rest.
  6. B

Glueing Ricordea

I've had a ricordea come off the plug it was on. It is attached to nothing, no rubble. Can I glue it to some rock or do I need to tie it with string and let it bond naturally? What I'm asking is will contact with super glue hurt the ricordea or will glue even stick to the ric? Thanks.
  7. B

Replacing RO/DI filters

I'm replacing all filters, membrane and DI included. Do I just replace all filters and let a few gallons run through it? OK to let the flush water run through the new membrane and new DI? Thanks.
  8. B

Filter socks and pods

There are a bunch of pods in the sock when I go to clean it. I hate to loose the pods down the drain but I also don't want to empty them and some of the accumulated crud back into the fuge. What do you do?
  9. B

Add Pods?

Any reason to add pods to an established tank? My tank has been up about 15 months. I know I have pods but don't think I have many. I really have to look to find any. I have a very light bio load now but plan to add some wrasses and anthias soon and understand they like to snack through out...
  10. B

Sybon Reef Salt

I see Premium Aquatics has this salt mix available again. Not available at clearance prices anymore though.
  11. B

UV Sterilizer

I'm setting up a Teco chiller and an optional add on is a UV sterilizer. As I understand it they help control algae and other bad stuff. Are there any minuses? I do have algae that I would like to go away. Thanks for any advice.
  12. B

McCoskers Wrasse - Africa or Maldives

LiveAquaria carries McCoskers from Africa or Maldives. I've seen where some say that the Africa version is the more desirable. My LFS (Franks Tanks) also likes the African version more. Anyone have first hand knowledge of both? If I got one of each (males) would they battle? On a related...
  13. B

Asterina stars

In the last few weeks I've started to find some of these. At first I thought they were kind of cool. Then I started reading about possible problems with them eating zoas and some of the stony corals. I've started pulling them out of the display and dropping them in the sump. What's your...
  14. B

Test kits and what to test

OK, confession time here. Had my tank about 8 months now and I haven't tested. I did take water to the lfs when I first started to make sure the tank had cycled but haven't in quite a while. Luckily I haven't killed anything yet. So, what do I test for now? Everything I would guess. Seems...
  15. B

Very nice video!

Hit the CC button to see what everything is. http://www.youtube.com/embed/2uUk9K9TQhg
  16. B

Anything brighter than kryptonite candy cane?

Just bought a frag at the frag sale and it's amazing how much this candy cane glows under actinic. Question is is there anything that approaches this in fluorescence? Mostly interested in LPS and softies. Thanks, David
  17. B

Blue/green Chromis Bug Eyed

I've had this guy for about a month. Just noticed one eye is bugged out and kinda cloudy. He might have been like this for a while not really sure. He seems healthy in every other way. He eats fine. Any ideas? I've tried to get a pic but he darts around so much I'm having problems getting...
  18. B

Flasher Wrasses

Seems conventional wisdom is get a male and at least a couple females so the males flash and really show the colors. I've also read that the males will flash if there are just males of different species. What is your experience? I'd rather have just males but if females are required that's...
  19. B

New Hammer coral

Bought a hammer coral from a member. Seems a few branches are dead. Can I just break these off to clean up the look? I assume it would be a cleaner cut if I used some sort of tool. What would you do?
  20. B

Harvesting Cheato

A member was kind enough to give me a sandwich bag full of cheato a couple months ago (thanks Jason). It has grown to cover the surface of my fuge and is 6 or 8 inches deep too. When I harvest how much do I leave? Do I give it a good shake to leave as many pods as possible in the fuge. Do I...