Search results

1. B

Intimidating Clown Fish?

Trying to understand what is going on with my clown fish. Earlier this year I bought a small 1” “fancy white” clown. He immediately hosted my anemone. On the last day of MCNA I got gorgeous premium white clown dirt cheap, only difference is that this one is about twice the size of the other...
  2. B

Vertex Puratex RO Water Filter

My wife won a Vertex RO water filter, it is rated for 100 gpd, but now am debating if I should sell it or keep it. Since it is only a RO filter, I would have to add a DI filter. Does anyone know if it is easy to that or maybe I should sell it and buy an RO/DI FILTER.
  3. B

Is my tank done cycling?

I have been out of the hobby for some time and am a little rusty. I need some advice, so if someone could help me I would really appreciate it. About a month ago I added about 10lbs of died rock /sand and seed them with 10lbs of each. About a week the live rock started to grow a brown hard...
  4. B

48" Long Shallow Tank

Long shallow tank After being out of the hobby for almost 3 years I decided it was time to a new tank. I had David Varela build me a 48”x10”x12” tank. I do not have an overflow nor will I have a sump. I plan on going with a closed loop system with an inline heater. Here is the picture that David...
  5. B

EcoTech MP10 Nano

Well if you have a nano tank and wish you could put a VorTech style pump in your tank… well here it is. http://ecotechmarine.com/products/vortech-mp10/
  6. B

ATB Flow Star Pumps

Has anyone ever heard anything about these pumps good or bad? They seem to look similar to the Royal Exclusive Red Dragons; I’m considering the Flow Star 1500 as a return pump for my new 80 gallon tank, any thoughts? http://www.atbskimmers.com/products/inventory.php?category=Circulation%20Pumps
  7. B

80 Gallon Low Iron Build Log

I decided to start up an 80 gallon 48”L x 24”W x 18” T, Low Iron glass tank with a 2” Eurobrace on the front and sides edges. It will be a slow build as I plan to take my time and not rush myself so first things first the stand build.
  8. B

Stand Options Suggestions

I just my new tank in and want to start setting it up, debating what to do next either have the stand made out of steel and skin with wood or made entirely out of wood. Can someone share some opinions? Also can someone recommend me a place or shop that can build either a steel or wood stand?
  9. B

Adding sand

I just noticed that on a corner of my tank the sand is too low, I would like to add just enough sand to build it up some. But the problem is the sand I have in my tank was bought in a group buy several years ago which I no longer have any of. Would it be a problem if I were to add new sand to an...
  10. B

My DIY Nano

Just want to share my nano tank that I made last summer. The four walls are made of 3/8 cell cast acrylic with a ¼” Eurobrace, the bottom panel is made of schedule 80 type I PVC. I drilled the bottom toward the rear wall in two places one for the return and one for the “overflow” or "underflow"...
  11. B

I know another ID, please.

Can some one please let me know what is the name of this SPS frag. Sorry about the bad picture. It has a mustard brown/yellow base color and the tips are starting to turn a very light purple with bright green polyps.
  12. B

Maxijet 1200 Mod

Anyone knows of a LFS that carries the maxi jet modification kits. I know I can find them online but 11 bucks just for ground shipping just doesn’t seem right.
  13. B

Austin Aqua Farms?

I want to know if anyone ever heard or bought stuff from Austin Aqua Farms located in Taylor, Texas. They seem to have really nice stuff but I just have never heard of them
  14. B

Tropic Marin Salt

Where can I get some Tropic Marin Salt at a decent price.
  15. B

DIY 25 SEOUL LED LIGHT

For the past few weeks I have been working on this project, finally this past weekend I was able to complete it. It is basically an LED light pendant I designed and built at home. I’m using (25) Seoul SSC P4 #W42180-U PURE WHITE (6500K) 3.7 v. There are (5) five zones each zone consist of (5)...
  16. B

My new Nano tank

Hi, I want to share my new nano tank I finished putting together several weeks ago. Here are the specs. 3/8” cell cast acrylic walls with ½” Type I Grey PVC bottom and ¼” Euro bracing I used Weldon #4 and #16 adhesives and micro-mesh to polish the ends Filtration, autotop off, heating and...
  17. B

New Tank Cycle.

I read some where on here that one can add some kind of biological product to a new tank to get the cycle going faster than usual. Anyone knows of such product and is it safe to use?
  18. B

What is the difference?

Can some with experience please explain the difference between schedule 40 and schedule 80 pluming? Which of the two is best suited to use in our hobby?
  19. B

Plastic or Glass?

I just removed the top plastic trim from the rim of my glass tank and would like to replace the trim with “euro-bracing”. Should I use plastic or glass for the bracing?
  20. B

What should I do?

I have a dilemma I have to resolve soon and would like someone’s opinion. The deal is the previous house owner left behind a fresh water tank. It is dirty but in great conditions no damage to the stand or the glass tank. It is approx 20”w x 20”d x 30”h which is roughly 40 gallons. What worries...