Search results

1. S

diy lighting upgrade: pc to mh

i decided a few months ago to upgrade my lighting., which meant getting rid of my dual 65w ballast in my light fixture and swapping in a new reflector and socket set. the lighting fixture was 30"L, so i ordered a new 36"x10"x2" reflector and 2 deluxe 150whqi sockets from hellolights.com. the...
  2. S

mh lighting ?

i am curious as to what is the best way to light up 2 mh bulbs. my new setup has 2 150whqi bulbs now that i have removed the dual 65w pc ballast, sockets and bulbs. earlier this week after my retrofit, i fired up my new pfo ballast with a new bulb, burned it in without issue. 2nd day i fired...
  3. S

sea slugs?

Are there any pet stores locally that carry sea slugs? i am having an algea problem that can't be solved by snails or emerald crabs. thx
  4. S

ooops

well, i got my new MRC Nilsen reactor yesterday.. and it only took my 20 minutes to break it... totally my fault... :x i have a nice ro/di top-off set with the complete kent float valve and shutoff valve. i figured it would be safe since it shuts off the flow when the top-off float seals shut...
  5. S

Reefkeeper2

i just got my reefkeeper2, and i must say this is a very easy to use controller! from setting up the channels to calibrating the ph probe, everything was done easily! The next upgrade for my reeftank is a kalk reactor, which i just purchased from MRC. i hope to have this when i relocate to my...
  6. S

upgrading lights.... looking for input

i am thinking of upgrading my 58rr metal halide light set up, and was curious as to which one would be better.... option 1: upgrade 150w hqi to a 250w hqi simple, cheap and easy but only increase is intensity not so much coverage or option 2: add another 150w hqi to my fixture difficult...
  7. S

VHO URI

I will be adding a dual PFO VHO lighting to my 58RR. I an currently running a 150wHQI 20k, and dual 65w PC with 10k. i have an assortment of sps and lps corals, plus a clam. so am curious as to what my selection should be for my VHO? should i go with the URI super actinics? or the URI super...
  8. S

bubbles on hammer coral

hey all! i just noticed last night that my pink hammer coral has produced a "bubble". it seems that one of the "hammers" has swollen like a overinflated latex balloon. is this part of it reproduction cycle?
  9. S

Marshall island frag? - What's the common name for this one?

[I got this frag from exotic aquatic , and it was labeled as a "marshall island frag", it was kinda brown in color when i bought it, but under my hqi and ultra actnic lighting it has a cool purple color to it. so i'm kinda curious if i scored purple monster frag? alt=""> mike]
  10. S

Take a look at my barebottom! - It aint that big...... yet

[Heeeeeere's my set-up, I’ve been slowly putting together over the last few months after being out of the hobby for about 6 months due to being relocated here to big D. I decided to go with a bare-bottom approach, and with the equipment I had used for my still empty 125, made a stout 58RR! The...
  11. S

Foof for thought... - Kents marine chromaplex and zooplex

[out of curiosity, i went and measure the specific gravity of kents chromaplex, zooplex, and phytoplex. chromaplex and zooplex measured out to be straight water, but the phytoplex measured out to be 1.03 (it max'd my pinpoint salinity meter). so i was thinking of using a large bucket with a...