Take a look at my barebottom! - It aint that big...... yet

[Heeeeeere's my set-up, I’ve been slowly putting together over the last few months after being out of the hobby for about 6 months due to being relocated here to big D.
I decided to go with a bare-bottom approach, and with the equipment I had used for my still empty 125, made a stout 58RR! The tank return pump is an Ehiem 1260, which feeds into a Corallife 3x UV filter, which then flows into an Arctica chiller, and hopefully this weekend, it will flow back into the tank thru a scwd when my shipment from PA arrives! I also used the return hole drilled in overflow as the supply for a closed loop, which is ran by another Ehiem 1260, which drive a scwd. And the filtration is performed by a CPR Aqua-fuge Pro, which I modified by drilling another hole and attach another smaller Ehiem pump that runs a carbon canister, and the system wouldn’t be complete without an auto top-off with a aqua-medic 3000 dosing pump. Lighting is done by a 150w HQI 13k lamp and dual 65w ultra-actinic pc!
I currently have 17.5lb piece of Lalo liverock, and 9lbs of tonga liverock. I plan on just having a LPS dominant reef with a few softies and an attack clam.

peace!
sr]

[this was the first item i added after adding saltwater, its a green galaxea lps. i am currently looking for a frag of the purple morph of this coral, let me know if you have one you are willing to frag!
:cool grin:]

[her is another coral i added yesterday, its an purplish color acanthastrea. and of course, i'm looking for different color frags of this as well!
:cool grin:]

[Something you mentioned on your supply for the CL. If you have it in the overflow you may run the risk of running the pump dry and burning it up the sump return pump is off.

Here's my theory...... If the sump return pump is off it siphons water back to the sump lowering the water in the display below the teeth of the overflow. You would have to have enough water in the overflow to pump back into the display to fill up to the teeth and get water back to the CL intake. Most overflows don't hold enogh water to do this. Also you will most likely be pumping faster than the siphon on the return is sucking and will pump the overflow dry as the siphon won't break as quick on the return since the CL is keeping the water level higher.

Basically after all that rambling it comes down to this. Unless your overflow holds enough water you will run the CL pump dry. Most overflows don't hold enough water to do this.

But maybe you already worked out a creative solution on this. if you have please let us know so others can try it.]

[thanks for being so..... grim, grim-bob. but the fact is, is, that it is working quite well! its been running for 5 days without issue. the hole in the main return for breaking suction is at a point that if the main pump quits, the water level drop is still high enough to let water flow over the lip of the overflow. but i could just add an level float switch in the overflow to prevent damage to the pump.
OodleyBoodely, yep, that is black starboard, i need to get a bigger piece to better fit in between both of the side pieces.
peace...
sr]

@southernreefer wrote:
[thanks for being so..... grim said:
[:p

Didn't mean to come off that way. Just trying to help a fellow reefer avoid any problems. I thought about the float switch as well and it would work fine as an added safety measure. Enjoy the new setup. :beer:]

[i got my 2nd squid last weekend, and installed it right away, amd i must say, that hese devices work great! i also picked up another 18lbs of lola liverock, and one piece came with a freebie! when i was searching thru the liverock bind i came across a nice piece of rock, then i flipped it over to discover an awesome lime green ricordia! score! i also purchased a small crocea clam with a beautiful coloration pattern. well, i got to keep my wallet in the ice box for the next couple of days, to cool it down a bit!
As far as the problem, grim-bob mentioned, that's going to be resolved by adding a float switch.
peace!
sr]

[and the dual swqd set up. the 2 outer returns from the sump point downwards in the back, and the 2 inner cls returns point to opposite corners of the tank, creating great flow thru out the enite tank!
:shifty:]

check out this starburst coral i have too!

barebottom is the easiest way to maintain a reef tank!

i'm thinking of getting a fish. maybe either a 6line wrasse or mandarinfish for my reeftank. the fish will have to be low maintenance, were i can get away feeding it once aweek.