Search results

1. P

Mandarin Love Story (with Pics)

I have had a female Mandarin for a couple of months now. I only see her every 3-4 days (just enough to know she's gaining weight and doing well) so I decided to get a male. I was secretly hoping that the male would show himself more often and maybe he would draw out the female. Well.... It...
  2. P

pH Monitor error

I have a Pinpoint pH monitor and this morning it's reading "-1" on the display. Do the probes need cleaning occasionally or is this some other problem?
  3. P

Catastrophe averted

The other night when we had that big storm roll through, our power went out. I happened to be sitting right next to my tank (which is usually the case since it's in my office) and I noticed that the back siphon didn't break and my sump filled to the brim. It only overflowed a little bit before...
  4. P

Regal Tang nipping my brain

My open brain has suddenly started totally deflating soon after the lights come on. I watched it closely today and when the lights came on the brain was looking good. As I watched, the Hippo made several fly-by nips on the brain until it completely deflated. Is there a way to break that...
  5. P

Something spawned in my tank... What is it?!?

I have dozens of these little guys in the sump as of this morning. They have a body and a tail and swim like a fish. They aren't copepods or anything in that genre but the only things I have pairs of are clown fish, Yellow Tangs, cleaner shrimp, and hermits. The clowns haven't layed eggs so I...
  6. P

Ghetto Doser - Is Archimedes in the house?

I got a Pinpoint pH Monitor and realized that when I pour in my morning dose of Alkalinity I am spiking my pH from 8.0 to nearly 8.4. I started thinking of ways that I could GRADUALLY add the Alk without having to manually add several doses throughout the night and without spending $100 on a...
  7. P

SPS feeding schedule?

I haven't been seeing much growth out of my SPS and I am almost positive that it's due to the fact that I don't feed them properly. I have been using DT's Phyto once per week but I know that's not going to cut it. I would like to hear from those of you who are doing well with SPS and find out...
  8. P

Maxima or Crocea - How do I tell?

I spotted this clam getting picked at by a Copper Banded Butterfly at Plano Pets and thought I better rescue it. All they knew there was that it is a "Blue Clam". How do you tell the difference between the various types of clam and which one do you figure this one is? alt="">
  9. P

Deep Six Hydrometer was way off

I have been using a Deep Six swing arm hydrometer for a long time. I followed all of the recommendations and rinsed it after every use and even soaked it in vinegar once every month or two. I recently bit the bullet and bought a refractometer and was shocked at what I found. My hydrometer...
  10. P

Calfo Signature Series SE MH UV? (the plot thickens)

I was looking into the Calfo SE bulbs and I read this:
  11. P

DIY Lumenarc - Metal work question

I am going to do the DIY Lumenarc thing and have the pieces ready to go to build 3 of them (with extras to 'practice' with). I know what I NEED to do but was wondering the best way to go about it. First, I need to bend the tabs but I want them to be nice crisp lines. I am going to go to...
  12. P

SRBTA - finally out in the open. (pics)

I recently bought a SRBTA. I drip acclimated it for a couple of hours and then placed it in the perfect spot in my tank (so I thought). It grabbed the rock immediately and then moved around to the back side of the rock where I placed it and has been there for a couple of days. I can barely...
  13. P

Birdsnest losing pigment and Clown acting weird?

did you test your pH, salinity and alk?
  14. P

Plasma bulb the light of the future?

Could this bulb the the answer to our prayers? Size of an LED, power of a halide! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTGsM9pplUs Someone get to work on a fixture using these!!
  15. P

Vortech owners - What mode do you use?

I added a second Vortech to the tank today and have been playing around with it. I am using it right now in short pulse (Anti-Sync) and getting about a 1 inch wave in my 150 gallon tank. What mode do you use in your tank?
  16. P

Do you rinse out the container after making a batch of water

I use a Brute trashcan on wheels to mix 25 gallons of water (using RO/DI) and have another one to remove the water from the tank. My standard procedure after the water change is to hose out both trash cans on the driveway and then store them upside down in the garage. I was thinking about it...
  17. P

PFO SE bulb suggestions

I have PFO Ballasts and am using Reef Optics 14k bulbs with 4 VHO T5 bulbs (50/50 mix) right now. I am not seeing the growth I would like to see so I am shopping for bulbs. Unfortunately there are SO many choices I can't figure out what would be best. Does anyone out there have any good first...
  18. P

Bulk Reef Supply Vs. B-Ionic

I am getting in on the group buy from Bulk Reef Supply in this thread. I am curious as to the difference between the BRS two part Calc/Alk and the B-Ionic that I have been using since I started dosing. Has anyone here used both and formulated an opinion? The cost is substantially lower for...
  19. P

Digitata not looking so hot :( I'm bummed.

About a month ago I got my first SPS (I can't find my initial thread about it now). It was looking great until a few days ago when I started seeing some odd spots. I am bummed because I was really proud of this coral and I am not sure what's going on. I have several other SPS that are doing...
  20. P

Baby Frogspawn? (ID help)

I have a bunch of fuzzy mushrooms on a rock and I thought initially that I had a baby fuzzy mushroom growing. The more it develops the more I am not sure. Is this a mushroom or is it Frogspawn? There are multiple tips (which is why it looks like frogspawn to me) but I am not sure. Wider...