Search results

1. R

Moving & Starting new tank

Hi Everyone, This topic might be better suited for the newbies forum, so if I need to move it let me know. I have a new tank, and a fairly well established one (it's been running for about a year now). What is the best way to make the move? I figure I have two options: 1. Start the new...
  2. R

moving - strange question

Hi everyone, I have a weird question. I'm moving, and I have a 20g tank set up and I plan to move it to the new house. The only issue is that the only place in the new house to place the tank is in the living room, which is carpeted. I've never had an issue with this (or any tank) leaking...
  3. R

Recommend a protein skimmer

I have a 20g tank with a 5g fuge/sump. I have a VERY small compartment that I could use for a skimmer, or I could go with a h.o.b. model. I'm looking for something inexpensive and effective.
  4. R

pH low; all other parameters acceptable

My fairly new tank (set up mid to late October) is doing great, except the pH is consistently low. I've been using buffer to raise it to the correct level. My coral frags and all inverts are behaving normally, and I've seen 'pods on the glass. I have a feeling that it is my top off water...
  5. R

Old timer returning to the fold

Hey y'all! I've been out of the hobby for a few years now, and I've decided to return! I'm setting up a 20g reef tank with a 5g 'fuge. I know that the aquarium world changes quickly and frequently, so I have a few questions. 1. I had a very simple system before, and I want to run a similar...
  6. R

JBJ nanocube HQI - lighting problems

I hope one of you can help. We have recently begun to have problems with our light in our cube. The light will come on, stay on for a while, the go off. Then, it comes back on. It does this several times throughout the day. We do have it on a timer, but the light is set to come on at 11 and...
  7. R

VERY IMPORTANT - RWRIGHT please contact me!!!

I sold you two koralias, several months ago. They proved to be defective. One of the two that I kept has developed the same problem. I need to return it to DFS, but they have our accounts all screwed up. Please get in touch with me, so that I can trace this back and get it straightened out...
  8. R

What salt do you use?

Just like the topic says: what salt do you use? I've been using Kent, but I'm disappointed in the quality of the product and VERY disappointed in the 'customer service' I've received from them. TIA!
  9. R

SPS dying...

Hi all, A generous member here, Todd, gave my boyfriend and I a great piece of an sps, some sort of plating coral. The coral has been growing like a weed in our tank. I mean, crazy growth. More than doubled in size in just a few months. Well, a couple of days ago, the color part began to do...
  10. R

another ID question

Hi guys, I have millions of the things I'm about to describe in my tank, so if it's something really bad, just don't tell me. What I have looks like teeny bright yellow threads. Sometimes they come out onto the glass, and the body is the same shade of bright yellow, and just a little bit bigger...
  11. R

flow in the tank

Hi guys and gals, It looks like my Wave2K finally bit it last night. I don't know if we're going to be able to fix it, or even if we want to. It's pretty noisy. I was thinking of switching to something else, and I can't spend a ton of money. What would you guys do, and where would you...
  12. R

crazy macro in tank

Hi all, Just wondering if any of ya'll can id a macro that I have growing in my tank. It's really pretty, so I'm keeping it unless it's really bad. It grows like a weed. (duh...) It's a light greenish to white color, and it grows in spirals. Looks like little curliques. I know, a picture is...
  13. R

mixing saltwater

Hi all, Quick question about mixing saltwater for a water change. We have the 'bad' Kent salt, and we've been adding buffer to it, to maintain proper chemistry. The latest batch of water is milky/cloudy, and doesn't seem to be clearing up. We have it mixing in a large plastic trash can (as...
  14. R

skimmer types - questions

Ok, I am seriously confused on skimmers. What's a beckett skimmer? What's a needlewheel skimmer? Which type works better? Which type requires less upkeep/maintenance. Right now I have one that uses the venturi outlet on the pump to produce the bubbles. I have to constantly adjust the level to...
  15. R

my skimmer sucks...advice?

Hello, I have a skimmer that produces bubbles, and skims great until I do a water change or top off, then it stops making bubbles for a few days. If we leave it alone, it just starts again on it's own. Anyone have any thoughts? This is the skimmer...
  16. R

tank overheated slightly

Hi everyone, I have a quick question about my frogspawn. Yesterday, our air conditioner broke, and the temp in the house rose to almost 90 degrees. We tried to keep the tank from overheating (ice, etc) but I'm not sure how successful we were. Things are back to normal now, and the other...
  17. R

looking for an electrician

Ok, my entire house seems to be wired on two circuit breakers. If you turn more than two things on, the whole house dies. It's becoming problematic. Is there an electrician that would be willing to come out and have a look for cheap/free, so that I can let my landlord know what the deal is...
  18. R

problem with halides

Hey all- I have a four foot maristar light, that has the T5s and two 250w de halides in it. The halides are not working. When we've had power failure in the past, we usually have to turn the lights off (at the ballast) and then turn them on again in a little bit. We've had trouble with the...
  19. R

plumbing question (ro/di)

Hey ya'll, I just bought an ro/di unit from Ebay. It arrived and I put it all together. I used to date a plumber, so I figured, how hard could it be, right? :roll: Anyway, I got all the way to the end, and one of the final steps requires drilling a hole in the drain pipe to saddle the drain...
  20. R

Berghia for aiptasia control

Hi All- I'm wondering if anyone else has tried to use Berghia Nudibranchs for aiptasia control? We have quite a nasty outbreak and we're trying to figure out the best way to get rid of it. I have researched numerous critters who eat aiptasia, and this one seems to be the least risky, and the...