Recent content by ScubaLuke

1. S

Stocking order question

In the near future I will be restocking my 55g tank and I am wondering if I should add the really super shy fish first and go from there. Last time I had a Yasha Goby (sp?) and it was super shy. I would like to get another one but I would want to be able to see it. Mine seemed to disappear for...
  2. S

Is this okay?

I am not sure how to hold down a peice of toadstool leather that I got today so I am using a rubber bacnd to hold it to the rock alt=""> Will this work or should I just glue it down?
  3. S

ID please

Is this a Stomatella? The description seems to fit it. alt="">
  4. S

Controler questions (lots and lots of ?????)

I am thinking about installing a controler on my 55g tank and I am kind of lost on what soem of these things can do. For right now my tank is full of water and live rock but that is about it. I am in the process of building my own stand and think that this would be the perfect time to add alot...
  5. S

DIY Stand for my 55g

Well since my tank crashed I am going to do everything right. I am going to use ths set back as a spring board to get this done right. By this weekend I should have everything I need to build a stand for my tank. Here is what I am thinking, my display tank will be a 55g tank and is full of water...
  6. S

Just about everything died (tank crashed I think)

Okay I am lost here. My lights shut off at around 11:00pm and at 1:30am all my fish are dead, both my cleaner shrimp are dead. A peppermint shrimp, pistol shrimp, is alive barley as are my hermit crabs and snails. My brittle stars are alive. I just tested everything and it all came back as zero...
  7. S

Progress pics of my beauty

From this alt=""> to this ( not a great pic but there has been a huge improvment) alt=""> In around a week of haveing the fish with the cleaner shrimp. In the before pic he is actualy trying to get cleaned by a shrimp shed :)
  8. S

Injuried fish and cleaner shrimp

Recently I picked up a Coral Beauty that was being picked on and had some sort of a sore or scab on one side of his body. His pectoral fin on that side also looks pretty well nipped at. Shortly after I brought him home I placed two cleaner shrimp in my tank. the Coral beauty was trying to get...
  9. S

Another Lighting question Blue or actinic?

What is the difference? Will I see better growth with a set of actinic lights over the blue or true blue lights? Or is this just a personal preference?
  10. S

I am running out of patience

I fully admit I have been patient and behaved but I so want to get my 55g stocked. I am going nuts here. I am hoping to get a sump installed this weekend maybe next week end at the latest. Now the semester is starting up and I am going to ahve to fit time in for building everything I want. I...
  11. S

Bugs or copods?

I wish I could get a picture of these things but recently I have been seeing tiny things walking around on a couple pieces of my live rock. There are fairly fast moving. I am not sure if these are good things or something I should nuke now?
  12. S

Tank Light/Room Light question

Okay this is an off the wall question but I will be setting up timers on a couple different tanks and I was curious if the room lights would effect the light cycle of the tank? I am wondering if I should start the lights later in the day to make sure even one is in bed when the tank lights go...
  13. S

Refugium questions

Is there an ideal precentage of water for a refugium? Also should the water be shallow (6") or can it be deep (10-12")? Rougly how much flow should I be looking for in a refugium? I do not think it should be fast but want to be sure. Also how deep should the sand bed be? How much Live rock...
  14. S

Garf grunge or a cup of sand or two?

I am curious if I should try to get a couple lbs of garf grunge or see if I can get a cup or two of sand out of someone that has an established tank? Would it even be nessary at this time? alt=""> Here is a picture of my sand bed as of two days ago.
  15. S

retro fit kit light question Compact or VHO

I am looking at buying a reto fit kit for my 55 gallon that I am setting up and I have a few question here is the link to the kit that I am thinkning of buying http://www.hellolights.com/4x96wretrokit1.html or http://www.hellolights.com/4lamvhoretki2.html It is a 48" kit with 4 95watt bulbs...