Recent content by Pneumatic

1. P

Mandarin Love Story (with Pics)

I have had a female Mandarin for a couple of months now. I only see her every 3-4 days (just enough to know she's gaining weight and doing well) so I decided to get a male. I was secretly hoping that the male would show himself more often and maybe he would draw out the female. Well.... It...
  2. P

pH Monitor error

I have a Pinpoint pH monitor and this morning it's reading "-1" on the display. Do the probes need cleaning occasionally or is this some other problem?
  3. P

Catastrophe averted

The other night when we had that big storm roll through, our power went out. I happened to be sitting right next to my tank (which is usually the case since it's in my office) and I noticed that the back siphon didn't break and my sump filled to the brim. It only overflowed a little bit before...
  4. P

Regal Tang nipping my brain

My open brain has suddenly started totally deflating soon after the lights come on. I watched it closely today and when the lights came on the brain was looking good. As I watched, the Hippo made several fly-by nips on the brain until it completely deflated. Is there a way to break that...
  5. P

Something spawned in my tank... What is it?!?

I have dozens of these little guys in the sump as of this morning. They have a body and a tail and swim like a fish. They aren't copepods or anything in that genre but the only things I have pairs of are clown fish, Yellow Tangs, cleaner shrimp, and hermits. The clowns haven't layed eggs so I...
  6. P

Ghetto Doser - Is Archimedes in the house?

I got a Pinpoint pH Monitor and realized that when I pour in my morning dose of Alkalinity I am spiking my pH from 8.0 to nearly 8.4. I started thinking of ways that I could GRADUALLY add the Alk without having to manually add several doses throughout the night and without spending $100 on a...
  7. P

SPS feeding schedule?

I haven't been seeing much growth out of my SPS and I am almost positive that it's due to the fact that I don't feed them properly. I have been using DT's Phyto once per week but I know that's not going to cut it. I would like to hear from those of you who are doing well with SPS and find out...
  8. P

Maxima or Crocea - How do I tell?

I spotted this clam getting picked at by a Copper Banded Butterfly at Plano Pets and thought I better rescue it. All they knew there was that it is a "Blue Clam". How do you tell the difference between the various types of clam and which one do you figure this one is? alt="">
  9. P

Deep Six Hydrometer was way off

I have been using a Deep Six swing arm hydrometer for a long time. I followed all of the recommendations and rinsed it after every use and even soaked it in vinegar once every month or two. I recently bit the bullet and bought a refractometer and was shocked at what I found. My hydrometer...
  10. P

Calfo Signature Series SE MH UV? (the plot thickens)

I was looking into the Calfo SE bulbs and I read this:
  11. P

DIY Lumenarc - Metal work question

I am going to do the DIY Lumenarc thing and have the pieces ready to go to build 3 of them (with extras to 'practice' with). I know what I NEED to do but was wondering the best way to go about it. First, I need to bend the tabs but I want them to be nice crisp lines. I am going to go to...
  12. P

SRBTA - finally out in the open. (pics)

I recently bought a SRBTA. I drip acclimated it for a couple of hours and then placed it in the perfect spot in my tank (so I thought). It grabbed the rock immediately and then moved around to the back side of the rock where I placed it and has been there for a couple of days. I can barely...
  13. P

Birdsnest losing pigment and Clown acting weird?

did you test your pH, salinity and alk?
  14. P

Plasma bulb the light of the future?

Could this bulb the the answer to our prayers? Size of an LED, power of a halide! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTGsM9pplUs Someone get to work on a fixture using these!!
  15. P

Vortech owners - What mode do you use?

I added a second Vortech to the tank today and have been playing around with it. I am using it right now in short pulse (Anti-Sync) and getting about a 1 inch wave in my 150 gallon tank. What mode do you use in your tank?