Recent content by Josh

1. J

Maxspect Mazarra Unpacking & Installation

This review is a little delayed, but Christmas came early at my house; I recently purchased and received the Maxspect Mazarra LEDs. Overall thoughts: Great product. The setup was well thought out with a lot of bells and whistles (wavelength variations; customizable/interchangeable LEDs; 3...
  2. J

New Fish Ideas?

Hello All, I've been running a pretty light bioload in my 220G (except for my snails, I have about 500 of the mini ceriths lol) but want to add something in my tank and thought I'd ask what people like in their tanks as I consider new things. Here's what I have: Sailfin Tang (5-6 inches, by...
  3. J

Anyone Using CS model Euroreef

Hey all, I have a euroreef skimmer CS 180 and I'm a little confused on why the drain valve on this skimmer just pours upwards vertically out of the drain pipe (through a filter sock). [smilie=wondering.gif] It sounds like the other model (RS) has an actual valve riser and elbow pipe here...
  4. J

Marineland Stealth Heaters - RECALLED

Hey all, Wanted to let you know that if you have the marineland Pro Submersible heater (the black plastic one, any wattage), petsmart is "volutarily recalling" these heaters due to quality issues. You just have to take it in for a refund or exchange and doesn't say you have to have a receipt...
  5. J

Two Vortech MP40 Placement

I just got in my 2 MP40w ES's for my 220 (6ft long) in yesterday and am excited to mess around with the settings, placement, and the sync/anti-sync functions. My question is what setup do you all think is the best placement for two of these pumps (i.e. opposite sides, same side at same height...
  6. J

Upgrading to 220G

I made a trade up to a 220G. The only catch, and its a big one, is that the tank is in Waco. I delivered my tank to them a several weekends back and allowed them to setup my 125G and move their livestock. Now I'm ready to get my tank! I am going to have to rent a truck as almost everyone I know...
  7. J

Help Needed: Plumbing and Glass Drilling

Hi all, I'm hoping to find some help finishing my plumbing on my new tank and possibly drilling the tank. The tank was plumbed before the move with an overflow (hoping to be able to drill it). I'm trying to figure out if its tempered glass (no stickers to negate that) and was hoping to do...
  8. J

Coral?? ID

Hey all, I got some red paper thin coral that I can't ID and I've never seen. It been growing like crazy which causes concern that it may be more like a weed. It cool lookin and sways in the current, but want to ID it, please help. The white on it is just some sand. photo 1 small.jpg photo...
  9. J

PVC Plumbing

Hey guys, IU'm setting up a new tank (about 110 gallons) and I want to plumb the tank with PVC instead of using flex tubing (to make it quieter). Does anyone have suggestions on places I can read up on how to sucessfully plumb a tank like this? Its a 6ft long tank, the tank has a HOB...
  10. J

Orange Montipora Turned White

I have an orange montipora that has been in my tank 6 months. It really started taking off growing lately, but then this past week it mysteriously turned white (I can't tell what it would look like if it was necrosing compared to bleaching, really). Over the course of about 4 days, the white...
  11. J

ID Please

Hey all, Hopefully this picture has good enough resolution that someone will know what this is. Please let me know if you do know!!! Thanks!
  12. J

Corals for Biocube 29 (STOCK lighting)

Hi all, With the frag swap coming up, I want to prepare by determining what I want to be looking for. I am aware of the lighting issues with the biocube 29 and have seen first hand the slow growth from the lack of lighting on even leathers, but I wanted to throw this out here to see what...
  13. J

RO/DI System

Hi Again all, I have been reading a lot into the benfits of RO/DI systems to use with water changes (rather than treating tap water with a de-chlorinator, which ATM is the option I am using). So my questions are: With my small tank (29G biocube) and only changing 2.5-5 G a week, would this be...
  14. J

Looking for best anemone for ocellaris to host

Hi all, I've had my ocellaris (false clown) for a couple weeks and I feel bad for the poor fella, he looks super lost without something to host. So my question is what is best to host this fish in a 29G tank? I've looked at what they normally host but it's hard to compare the anemones with my...
  15. J

Recessionista Reef Blog

Hi everyone, I am new to the forums and a new member of the club and I wanted to invite everyone to check out my blog. It will track my progression in my reef tank, try to point out common mistakes (most likely as I do them, lol), and will be a place that I ramble on about whats going on with...