Recent content by jetmech

1. J

Anyone know what this is?

Checking to see if anyone knows what this is. I can't remember the name of the coral it's on, but it just appeared there overnight. I'm not sure if it came from the coral or something built it there. My pictures aren't very good, so I'll try to describe it. It almost appears to be a nest of...
  2. J

Baked Baking Soda

I've been using baking soda to buffer alk with no problems. I baked some for the first time to raise ph as well. I mixed up some water last night using the baked baking soda and today the water is milky looking. This is in a bucket with a power head. Anyone know what is causing this?
  3. J

Brine Shrimp Hatchery

This is my version of a Brine Shrimp hatchery. I'm using separatory funnels that I bought on eBay. I use one to do a large batch to feed during the day and the other to do a small batch to feed at night for the nocturnal things I have. So far it has worked really well. I use the same...
  4. J

Spaflex Question

I have barbed fittings on my bulkhead fittings. Will spaflex tubing fit over these barbs like vinyl tubing does?
  5. J

What do think of this lighting?

I know everyone has their own opinion on lighting and you can get really lost reading all of the threads on lighting. I'm looking to upgrade my lighting and might go this way. This person is running T5's. The bulbs he is using are Aquablue Special (11,000K) and Blue Plus (Radium equivalent)...
  6. J

BTA Lighting Help

I'm replacing my mh bulbs tomorrow. I've got 14k's right now and am thinking of going to 20k's. Will the BTA get enough light intensity with the 20k's? I just like the 20k's because they're more blue, but I don't want this to be an issue for the BTA. Any help would be appreciated.
  7. J

Calcium & alkilinity

[I have a question on calcium & alkilinity. My calcium started out at 370 & alkilinity at 4.0 meq/L. Three days later my calcium is 390 & alkilinity is 5.0 meq/L. I'm using seachem reef complete to raise the calcium. As my calcium is raising, so is my alkilinity. What do I need to do to...
  8. J

Help in identifying these

[I've started a new tank with cured live rock four days ago. The bed is aragonite. There is a lot of little white critters huddled together in the corners of my tank on the glass. They are extremely small. They dart out across the glass, then dart back to join the group. They move very...
  9. J

Placement of live rock - Should i build up against the glass?

[I'm curious as to whether i should build my reef in the center of my tank leaving all four sides away from the glass. I was in Tranquilscape over the weekend and they say that they build all of their reefs up against the back glass leaving the two sides and front away from the glass. I will...