Recent content by Ivan

1. I

Sequence Pump Cleaning and Repair Recommendation

Hello all. I have a Sequence Pump that I would like to get a thorough cleaning and lookover before I use it on my next aquarium project. Can anyone tell me of a place they might know of who would do a good job servicing this pump? I'm focusing on the Dallas side (e.g. Dallas and Plano), not...
  2. I

What Is The Best Calcium Reactor Drip Method

For as long as I've been using a calcium reactor, I've had this "battle" fro Day 1: everything is going great until for some unexplained reason the drip rate completely stops. I use the John Guest fitting (with the adjustable cut-off) on my rigid drip line to regulate the drip rate, and the...
  3. I

Tanked - Animal Planet - Fridays at 8pm

For those of you with nothing to do tonight, check out a new TV show tonight on animal Planet. It chronicles the day of Acrylic Tank Maunfacturing (ATM), the nation's largest acrylic aquarium company, based in Las Vegas. http://animal.discovery.com/tv/tanked/
  4. I

The Immeasurable Value of a Backup Pump

An unplanned and unintended power outage occurred in my neighborhood yesterday evening, resulting in a 4-hour period of no electricity. I'm thinking, "no big deal - the power will be back on soon". Well it did come back on, but my Sequence return pump (now marketed as the Reeflo Dart), has...
  5. I

The Mystery of the Sliding Vortech

Happy New Year folks. I wanted to ask if anyone has had a problem with the dry side of their MP10/MP40 slipping down the glass of their aquarium. I can't seem to correct my problem, and I can't figure out why this is happening. There is little to no vibration, and I've exchanged out the wet side...
  6. I

DSLR Camera Settings at Aquarium

I plan on paying a visit to the Atlanta Aquarium this weekend and as are most aquariums, it's pretty dark. So how should I set my camera for the best pictures? I've taken pictures at city aquariums before and the pictures come out grainy. I know I need to bump up my shutter speed and disable the...
  7. I

Korallin Calcium Reactor Owners...

I noticed yesterday that ALL of these reactors do not come with a secondary reactor to whittle down the excess CO2. What do you guys use (or suggest) in lieu of the secondary chamber? I have great coral growth but I'm also noticing a creeping alkalinity reading.
  8. I

Could Anyone Cut Acrylic For Me?

Hi folks. I have a sheet of acrylic that's .220 inches thick that I need a piece cut out to create a refugium wall for a sump I have. The dimensions I need is 11 7/16" x 9.5". I would also need teeth created as well. The entire sheet of acrylic is 18" x 24". I have a table saw, but I don't...
  9. I

J Dieck Calculator and Calcium Hardness

I need to add some calcium to my tank and I have the Calcium Hardness (calcium chloride) from the pool store, but I can't remember which measurement to use when using the jdieck calculator (http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html). There are two listed calcium chloride products...
  10. I

Nice Video On Montipora

Enjoy! http://vimeo.com/4858287
  11. I

Water Pump Interchangeability

I have an Iwaki pump that appears to be sensitive to ninety degree angles and therefore generates microbubbles in the return that is driving me nuts. Before I replumb to hopefully eliminate the 90 degree angle, I thought about using a Mag 9.5 instead which gives me the option of putting in the...
  12. I

Measuring Calcium Reactor pH

I'm about to break down and get a pH controller so that I have a better idea of what's dripping in my tank. However, I have a Korallin reactor that does not have a chamber to submerge the probe. How then would you suggest I set this up?
  13. I

Who Has a Wide Selection Of O-Rings In The Dallas Area?

I'm looking for an o-ring for my kalk reactor and my local ACE Hardware doesn't stock what I'm looking for. Does anyone know of a place in the Dallas area with a wide selection of o-rings? Thanks. BTW, unless there is one posted somewhere, the answer to this question should be posted as a...
  14. I

How Would You Repair This Sump?

I have an Oceanic trickle filter that I am going to convert into a standard sump. I've had it for a few years (bought it from someone) but never used it. To test against leaks, I added 10 gallons of water and noticed a super slow seeping of water along the trim at the bottom corners of the...
  15. I

Vivid Aquarium

I'm in California for a few days and thought I'd try visiting some of the stores here to see some comparative livestock to our local stores. The one highly recommended was Vivid Aquarium and this store is awesome. If anybody has reservations about ordering coral from them, fear no more. His...