Recent content by HSLee

1. H

Need help with Aquanetics Chiller controller

Procured an Aquanetics temp controller some time ago and not sure how to hookup it up. The darn thing did not come with instructions, nor disignation for the wires. Would apreciate any help on determining what each wire is for.... Label lists; Aquanetics Electronic Thermostat Model 120-1...
  2. H

How to frag ricordias?

I have 2 decent size ricordias that are both taking forever to split. Both have started splitting and I can see 2 distinct mouths on each. Can I take a razor blade and cut each such that each piece has a mouth and approx the same body size left? Can I use a razor blade to scrape/cut the new...
  3. H

How low can you go ? (temperature)

Noticed that with my plumbing mods and pumps changes this year, the low end of the tank's temp range had taken another notch down, towards 74 deg F. Currently using a 100W cheapie heater together with a WON 300W heater on my 210g tank. Thinking about adding in my other, backup WON 300W...
  4. H

Would silicone glue (aquarium rtv sealant) cure when wet?

cleaning and redoing some of my tank's plumbing. the pvc return pipe in the overflow box is fixed to the bulkhead, and i want to glue an elbow pvc fitting to it's top, a wet surface (though not submerged). Will the glue cure and hold? i know the glue's solvent is mostly acetic acid...
  5. H

Tomato clown colored changed

I won one of those tomato clowns at last meeting's raffle. Its color then was a bright orange and at about 1-1.5" sized. I put it into my nano tank. Last week, I finally got around to moving a recently split LTA anemone from my big tank into the nano. It took almost 2 hours before the clown...
  6. H

One of my seio 820s bit me !

[Beware, it may be true. The Seios may not as reliable and safe as the Maxijets I use. Found one of GFCI outlets tripped tonight. Thought it was a blown Icecap, but turned out to be one of my 2 Seio 820s. Took it out to test in the laundry room sink and put it on one of those extension cords...
  7. H

$40  refractometer at harbor freight - Meas your battery, coolant and sw

[http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/90000-90999/90716.pdf]
  8. H

Ca and kalk reactor placement - To avoid coralline and algae growth

[Can I place the reactors at locations of high and/or long light exposure? I know that with skimmers, coralline and macro algae may sometimes grow on the inner walls of the reaction tube under high/long light conditions. I would hope that the high pH levels of the Ca and Kalk reactors would...
  9. H

Co2 for ca reactors - Safe to use co2 paintball canisters ?

[Setting up a diy Ca reactor and reviewing options for CO2 source and configs. Thinking of using the small canisters that are available for paintball guns, i.e.; 9 ounce cans. Any BTDT and/or opinions? Also, how long would such size can last on a 210g SW system?]
  10. H

Sick clam? - Hasn't opened in 2 days...

[Crocea clam, 3-4 inches. - In my tank for a little over a year. - Hasn't opened in 2 days. - Exposed mantle appears to have same coloring, no fading. - No signs of pyramidial snails nor predatory worms on it. - Byssel strand still very tightly attached to rock. - No changes to feeding, water...
  11. H

Iwaki pump rebuilding - Any lessons learned?

[I'm running two MD70RLT pumps for the returns from my sump to tank. After 3 years of running, flow has greatly reduced since new, I suspect due to detritus and Calcium buildup within the pump. I plan to disassemble them for cleaning in attempt to regain spec output flow. Any BTDT lessons...
  12. H

Anyone dosing amino acids for the corals? - Ie; bio-coral (salifert) or generic

[Looking for testimonials on the dosing of amino acids or aspartic acid. I know Salifert sells the Bio-Coral additive. Anyone dosing generic amino acids or aspartic acid as opposed to the Salifert? If generic, which brands/product and dosing amounts? There are threads on RC and AdvAq...
  13. H

Live mysis shrimp - Can be bought in dfw area?

[Are there any LFS that sell live mysis ? I haven't looked before and haven't noticed if any store did.]
  14. H

Need help to id this - Pic

[is this a xenia or anthelia ? if xenia, which type? thanks.]
  15. H

Arm & hammer washing soda - Where can i find ?

[Has anyone been able to locate the unscented Arm & Hammer Washing Soda in the DFW area? If yes, which stores carry it? I want to begin using it as described in the RC threads as part of the homemade 2 part Ca-Buffer additive system.]